Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    lhaber9 is offline Junior Member lhaber9 is on a distinguished road

Pressing Charges for Theft

i live in NYC
    last weekend my friend had a party at a house. During the party about 700 in cash was stolen from my friends downstairs neighbors house. i did not steal the money and also have no idea how they got into the neighbors house. The neighbor has said that if he is not paid back he will press charges. My friend told me that i had to pay 100 dollars because i got to the house earlier than most of the people at the party. can his neighbor press charges against me? do i have to pay this money? i might pay it anyway just to help out my friend but i wanted to know if the neighbor could press charges against me. Thanks

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Do you go into your the neighbor's house? If not, I wouldn't do anything. He has to have some sort of proof. The problem sound like it's your friend's, not yours.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

lhaber9 is offline Junior Member lhaber9 is on a distinguished road
    i did go into the house for the party. but so did everyone else who went to the party. does that mean that we could all be charged with theft?

DeltaV is offline Veteran Member DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lhaber9 View Post
    i did go into the house for the party. but so did everyone else who went to the party. does that mean that we could all be charged with theft?
    Yes, if there is proof you all took the money. No proof=no charges.

Samuel is offline is out Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    Get a new friend...

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Get new friends....and don't pay anybody anything. Tell him to tell his neighbor to go to the police and make a report. See how far that goes. I can tell you right now, it is dead in the water with the NYPD and they will not investigate other than write a report.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    If you didn't steal the money and don't know who did , dump your friend and find others. If the threat of calling the police scares someone into returning the money......so be it.
    Creeper Cop

scott715us is offline Sgt/DUI Inst/Juris Doctor scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Unfortunately there was a thief among the partygoers who decided to steal the money. Your buddy who lives there trying to take up funds to pay is a**nine. I guess I can see the reasoning behind it to make amends with his neighbor. There's no way the neighbor can prove who stole it unless someone witnessed the theft and came to him about it. Basically a report would have to be filed and if someone gets assigned to the case, they would have to attempt to interview everyone that was at the party to discover who the thief is. Likely not going to happen. Maybe the neighbor can sue in small claims court and attest some sort of negligence on the part of your friend to attempt to get his money back, but unlikely. Bottom line, I wouldn't pay shiite unless you just want to be a nice guy.

9. This ad will disappear if you login