Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    SALRBG is offline Junior Member SALRBG is on a distinguished road

Running away in Georgia

Hello,
    My 17 year old daughter has threatened to runaway from home. I'm extremely concerned and not quite sure what to do. What are the laws on running away from home at 17 in Georgia? Someone told me that if we call the police they won't be able to bring her back because she is 17. I'm doing my best to keep her from leaving, but I need to know the laws and actions I should take in case she does anyway.

Thanks.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by SALRBG View Post
    Someone told me that if we call the police they won't be able to bring her back because she is 17.
    Always a good call to vet your sources:

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia Code 49-4A-20
    As used in this article, the term:

(1) 'Runaway child' or 'runaway children' means a child or children under the age of 18 whose parents, legal guardian, or custodian has reported to a law enforcement agency that such person has reason to believe that the child or children have deserted without cause the childīs or childrenīs home or abode and are in imminent danger.

(2) 'Runaway child report' means a report prepared on a form designed by the department for the use by law enforcement agencies and private citizens to report information about runaway children to the Office of Runaway Children Assistance.
    Further, the role of the police is spelled out as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by GA Code 49-4A-23
    Upon the filing of a police report by the parent or guardian that a child has run away, the local law enforcement agency receiving such report shall notify all of its on-duty law enforcement officers of the existence of the runaway child report, communicate the report to all other law enforcement agencies having jurisdiction in the county and all law enforcement agencies of jurisdictions geographically adjoining that of the local law enforcement agency, and transmit the report to the Office of Runaway Children Assistance.
    also...

Quote Originally Posted by GA Code 49-4A-24
    Every law enforcement agency and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation shall transmit to the Office of Runaway Children Assistance any information which is acquired or collected pursuant to Code Section 35-1-8 or Code Section 35-3-4, which information would assist in the location of any runaway child.
    and...

Quote Originally Posted by GA Code 49-4A-26
    Upon locating a runaway child, the department or other law enforcement agency shall process the runaway child pursuant to the procedures set out in Part 5 of Article 1 of Chapter 11 of Title 15."

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I'm not up on Ga. law, but from what Kimble has graciously found and posted, it looks like until your daughter actually turns 18, that the police will be able to help you, provided that all the conditions of your situation are met as outlined in the law.
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    The problem is, at 17 you really can't "make" her do anything. If she doesn't respect you enough by now to obey you now, she won't when the police bring her home either.

Not trying to sound mean, but that's the reality of the situation. Try to work out some sort of compromise or solution around the real problem.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

scott715us is offline Sgt/DUI Inst/Juris Doctor scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Or just let her wear the orange jumpsuit for a few days to provide a reality check once she is found and picked up by LEOs.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by scott715us View Post
    Or just let her wear the orange jumpsuit for a few days to provide a reality check once she is found and picked up by LEOs.
    Do they do that there for runaways? Here, it's a status crime and there just returned to the parents. We don't have anywhere near the facilities to mess with runaway kids other than pick them up.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

7. This ad will disappear if you login