Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ISLE123 is offline Junior Member ISLE123 is on a distinguished road

Enforcing a bench warrant in another county

I have a court order for child support in PA. Ex is currently over $50K in arrears. A bench warrant was issued long ago, but I can't get anyone to enforce it. Bench warrant is issued out of County A. Deadbeat lives and works in County B. County A says they can't get County B to cooperate. I called County B personally and several LEOs tell me that they are too busy dealing with "real crime" and don't have the manpower and resources to pick deadbeat up. Okay, I can understand that. But that doesn't really help me or my child. Deadbeat is working under the table. I know exactly where he's working. Can I pay a state trooper or police officer out of my own personal pocket to pick the deadbeat dad up and take him back to County A on the bench warrant?

Citicop is offline The Original Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    No, you can't pay an off duty officer to make the arrest.

But in my state, I can leave my jurisdiction to arrest someone wanted for a crime that was committed in my town.

Why doesn't someone from your county just go arrest him? That happens here all the time.

-Citicop.
    Sometimes there's Justice...
    and sometimes, there's Just Us
    1*

In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

I guess because this isn't a criminal bench warrant; it's a bench warrant for unpaid child support. ?????? I'm not entirely sure. That's why I'm here. County A (who doesn't do a whole lot and took 2 years of non payment before they'd even issue a bench warrant) tells me that they have to deputize service to an officer of the court in County B in order to enforce the warrant. When I called the chief of police in County B where defendant is located, he told me they were too busy, didn't have the time and didn't have the resources. That's why I had hoped I could pay someone out of pocket just to get this guy picked up.

Citicop is offline The Original Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    That makes no sense to me. Nonsupport is a felony here if he's behind 6 out of the last 12 months. Have you tried contacting the prosecutor of your county or the court that issued the warrant? Have you tried contacting your state police or highway patrol to see if THEY can send someone to go get him? I bet if you explained to a trooper how much trouble you're having, they'd be happy to help you out.
    Sometimes there's Justice...
    and sometimes, there's Just Us
    1*

In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

Makes no sense to me either!!!!!! Believe me. I'm the single parent trying to survive in this economy. I've spent countless hours fighting with Domestics to just simply do their jobs. Like I said, it took two years of non payment just to get them to issue the bench warrant!!!!! Domestics is considered separate from Court of Common Pleas here in this county, so they're of very little help. I will definitely try contacting the DA and the state police. I might have more luck there. Thanks for the suggestions!

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    In 4 years of LE in PA I've never been asked to serve a child support warrant nor has one come up when running someone.

I almost want to say County A is passing the buck. I see no reason they cant go to county B and serve it.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Why don't you tell us what county and state you are talking about? It's not like you are going to get in trouble for specifying, and it would help us give you more accurate information.
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Citicop View Post
    That makes no sense to me. Nonsupport is a felony here if he's behind 6 out of the last 12 months.
    Same here. Child support warrants are issued out of circuit court which in Oregon, handles all felonies and domestic matters. It would come up anytime someone is ran for warrants. The S.O. routinely gets these warrants and makes attempts to serve them ASAP or notify the county where the person resides.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
    In 4 years of LE in PA I've never been asked to serve a child support warrant nor has one come up when running someone.

I almost want to say County A is passing the buck. I see no reason they cant go to county B and serve it.
    Well yeah, they've been passing the buck for years. But what can I do about it????? And just to clarify because you mention "serve it." This would be to arrest the deadbeat and bring him back to County A. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDirectly2Jail View Post
    Why don't you tell us what county and state you are talking about? It's not like you are going to get in trouble for specifying, and it would help us give you more accurate information.
    County A is Chester County, PA. County B is Philadelphia County, PA. I don't know why that would make a diffference though.

Quote Originally Posted by retdetsgt View Post
    Same here. Child support warrants are issued out of circuit court which in Oregon, handles all felonies and domestic matters. It would come up anytime someone is ran for warrants. The S.O. routinely gets these warrants and makes attempts to serve them ASAP or notify the county where the person resides.
    I wish PA were so effecient as Oregon. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way here in PA because it's a domestic bench warrant; not a criminal warrant. At least that's what they tell me; it's not in the same "system." Also, they say that because it's in a different "system" not all counties have it or will show it. In other words, even if he's stopped for say a traffic violation in Philadelphia County, they may not necessarily see that he's got an open bench warrant in Chester County for the nonpayment of child support. Now I've got friends all over the US and no one else has experienced the issues I've struggled with her trying to enforce what's supposed to be the law. So that's why I've come here trying to get some advice. I'm about at my wits end and yes, have totally gotten the run around with domestic relations.

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    From what Greg, a PA cop says, PA sounds like a nightmare in a lot LE areas.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ISLE123 View Post
    Well yeah, they've been passing the buck for years. But what can I do about it????? And just to clarify because you mention "serve it." This would be to arrest the deadbeat and bring him back to County A. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
    Calling the DA may be a good idea. You can try the state police but I highly doubt they will do anything with it. As you seem to already know those warrants are through domestic relations and to my knowledge there is no crime for nonpayment of child support in the state of PA.

And yes as for serving it, that includes taking him into custody.

EDIT* I was wrong in my earlier post I have had people come back with domestic relations warrants which is normally child support so the police probably COULD take him into custody, but it is not a criminal charge, we are simply middlemen.
    Last edited by Blackgoat06; 09-28-10 at 05:55 PM.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Find a PA State Constable. They have statewide authority to serve warrants. Jump over to PoliceWorld.net and go to the constable forum. There are a lot of PA constables on that site.
    Creeper Cop

Legoate is offline Avatar Stolen Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I'm still not sure why you think having him arrested will get him to pay you child support. The two have nothing to do with one another. In fact, he can truly state that he has no ability to pay you while in custody because he is unable to work due to being arrested.

Just a guess but it's probably not the first time he has ever spent some time in jail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightshooter
    Your selective outrage is hypocritical. Don't you have an anti-war rally to attend where you can go burn some American flags with your hippie buddies?

16. This ad will disappear if you login