Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    Lead foot is offline Junior Member Lead foot is on a distinguished road

Speeding ticket without being pulled over?

Hi all,

I reside in Tennessee and was speeding much too quickly on the interstate today. I passed a champaign colored Buick that immediately pulled behind me and accelerated to match my speed. As soon as he was directly behind me I saw he had a radio in hand. I slowed to the speed limit and he lingered behind me for a moment, close enough to get my license plate number if he wished (and I'd be surprised if he didn't). Afterwards he switched lanes and pulled up along side me, mouthed "slow down" then pulled off to the side of the road. He had emergency tags.

He never actually pulled me over so can I get a ticket?

Thanks

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Don't know about Tennessee specifically, but many localities do allow officers to cite via a ticket by mail.
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

ParadeRest is offline enwhypeedee ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I doubt you'll be getting a ticket in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDirectly2Jail View Post
    Don't know about Tennessee specifically, but many localities do allow officers to cite via a ticket by mail.
    If that's the case, the car is registered under my father's name so I would imagine his name would be on the ticket. How would I go about getting the ticket in my name?

Thanks again

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I would consider today your lucky day and a lesson learned...slow down. I don't think you are getting a ticket, and the cop did you a favor. Just realize it and slow down!
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead foot View Post
    If that's the case, the car is registered under my father's name so I would imagine his name would be on the ticket. How would I go about getting the ticket in my name?

Thanks again
    Why don't you wait to see if one comes before you start worrying about that.
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Even if it is legal to mail citations in your state, I find it highly unlikely that you would get one for a speeding charge. If he didn't stop you there and then you are probably in the clear.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

scott715us is offline SGT/DUI Instructor scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead foot View Post
    Hi all,

I reside in Tennessee and was speeding much too quickly on the interstate today. I passed a champaign colored Buick that immediately pulled behind me and accelerated to match my speed. As soon as he was directly behind me I saw he had a radio in hand. I slowed to the speed limit and he lingered behind me for a moment, close enough to get my license plate number if he wished (and I'd be surprised if he didn't). Afterwards he switched lanes and pulled up along side me, mouthed "slow down" then pulled off to the side of the road. He had emergency tags.

He never actually pulled me over so can I get a ticket?

Thanks
    In TN, citizens can be listed as prosecutor on a moving violation instead of the officer. It doesn't occur too often, but it can. It would basically be your word against the person that signed the citation against you. If it was a police officer, he may have been trying to get a marked unit to your location to pull you over, but normally (especially in Nashville) they're tied up on other things. If that's the case, he could easily run your info himself and present you with the citation later. With that said, I doubt it was a government vehicle. Those who are allowed to have Emergency "E" tags are police, fire, and EMS. Unmarked government police vehicles will not have "E" tags. Likely it was an off-duty LEO in his personal vehicle if he was actually using a portable radio.

p.s. With a screen name of "leadfoot" and the admission of speeding, I would recommend you slow down. There are plenty of unmarked vehicles out there that will eventually catch you.

Legoate is offline Avatar Stolen Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    You would be surprised how many people I pull up beside in a fully marked police vehicle and tell to "slow down" who refuse to do so. Some of it is because people in CA believe nobody but CHP can give the a ticket on the freeway, and some are just too stupid to be allowed to breathe oxygen.

Either way, If I warn them and they don't slow down, they are getting a cite.

So, did you slow down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightshooter
    Your selective outrage is hypocritical. Don't you have an anti-war rally to attend where you can go burn some American flags with your hippie buddies?

Quote Originally Posted by Legoate View Post
    So, did you slow down?
    I did and have been crawling around town ever since. In fact, every time I see a Crown Victoria in my rear view mirror I get a little antsy.

Thanks so much for all your help,

Regards,
    Lf

11. This ad will disappear if you login