Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    comptech is offline Junior Member comptech is on a distinguished road

Proper Way To Get An Order Of Protection In Suffolk County NY

I am recently broken up with my ex-fiancee, and she will not stop bothering me via it be phone, e-mail or through talking to me in person about giving her money to pay for the dog I bought for her for our anniversary (which was 2 days before I found out she started looking for guys online). I want the messages to stop, and I have politely requested her to leave me alone. I have then moved on to attempting to block her number via a call filter installed on my phone, so she uses another number. I have tried blocking her e-mail but anyone can get another free e-mail address. Her mother is also hell-bent on getting money from me too.

I'd like to know the proper way to successfully get a restraining order against the two of them. Both they, and I live in Suffolk County NY. I'm looking to make sure they are not permitted to contact me, or my family, and are not permitted near my home, job, or school. Do I simply call the local police department, and complain, or is there a more efficient method that doesn't involve wasting an officer's time? Thank you.

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    dupe
    Last edited by phantasm; 03-17-10 at 11:23 PM. Reason: duplicate
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Go to your local precinct with copies of emails, and phone records, file a report for aggravated harassment, and then go to suffolk county criminal court, and get an order of protection.

If you file an aggravated harassment report as a domestic issue, she very well could be arrested. If this isn't what you want, then don't involve the police or the courts.

BTW just because she isn't leaving you alone, doesn't mean it rises to the level of harassment. It depends on her intent.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Her intent is to obtain money from me to pay for this dog. I find it to be harassment as we only split up recently, and after finding my fiancee on an online dating website 2 days before our anniversary celebrating our engagement (well technically one of my single friends found her on there) I do not need her name/face/voice/etc shoved in my face almost daily asking me for things, and reminding me just who she truly turned out to be. I do not know what exactly the laws define as harassment, but I certainly feel harassed. I have tried taking steps to avoid making a legal case out of this (ie: the blocking of phone numbers, e-mails above) I am tired of creating more, and more filters, and getting more, and more messages from new numbers, and new e-mail addresses. I do not want to see her come to any harm, and even though we recently broke up, I am one to let go of things, but usually the girl knows to stop talking to me when I ask her to. I wouldn't wish her any harm, but if she needs to get arrested for this to stop, then that is the consequences of her actions, not mine. Should I place a phone call to the police department, or go down in person? The local precinct that covers both our homes is on the way home from my job, and I can easily stop in. Thanks for such quick responses.

Edit: I seem to have ignored that going to the precinct was suggested. That's what I get for having about 30 windows open at once. I will head down there with the evidence after work. I still would appreciate personal opinions on the text above, and yes I do know personal opinions are not legal advice, but I'd like to get a LEO's take on this. Thanks
    Last edited by comptech; 03-17-10 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Being Dumb

Samuel is offline is out Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    how much money?

Not an enormous amount, but about $750 for vet bills, which I cannot get proof of these bills existing. Her mother (who she lives with, and provides for her) is an alcoholic, and is the one that is really behind the demand for money.

pac201 is offline just glad to be here... pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I wouldn't give her any money because it will never end if you do. Go by the station and file the report; and as you said it's her actions not yours that is causing the problems...

You wouldn't believe how many times we hear "why are you doing this to me"...
    Job Security...
    Ecclesiastes 8:11...
    Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Oh I know why she is doing it. I will file the report as you suggested, but I think I'm going to see if my last message with my "do not contact me again" warning sinks in. If there is some method on this forum to mark a topic as "solved" or "completed" how do I do that? Thanks again

Verified LEO
    Maybe you telling her to not contact again, with the threat of filing a police report for aggravated harassment (a penal law misdemeanor) will be enough to have her stop. Who knows.
    DONLON

Interesting Info

An education in debating

I hope so. It seems to have stopped her mother's messages, but I'm going to give it some time.

11. This ad will disappear if you login