Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    handree is offline Junior Member handree is on a distinguished road

My neighbor calls the police on me for NO reason

My neighbor has called the police for noise complaints three times on me for NO reason. The first time was for having the radio on while cleaning. Ok, so I don't EVER turn on the radio anymore. The next time was while I was having a family dinner. How embarrassing was that, the person who called said there was fighting going on. They checked and left once again.

The last time was last night, at 12:30am while my boyfriend and I were sound asleep.The officer said the call was specific that it was my apartment making noise. Each time they come out they see that the call was unfounded and leave right away. I have talked to my apartment manager about this and he said he thinks it's the man above me who is "not all the way there". What are my rights? What can I do to make it clear that this is unacceptable? It is ridiculous that I should be woken up out of bed for such nonsense and it is making me very angry. I want to go and ask the guy but I am afraid it might cause more problems, like he might get mad and start calling the police even more. I live in San Jose, CA. Any advise is appreciated.

Samuel is offline is out Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by handree View Post
    My neighbor has called the police for noise complaints three times on me for NO reason. The first time was for having the radio on while cleaning. Ok, so I don't EVER turn on the radio anymore. The next time was while I was having a family dinner. How embarrassing was that, the person who called said there was fighting going on. They checked and left once again.

The last time was last night, at 12:30am while my boyfriend and I were sound asleep.The officer said the call was specific that it was my apartment making noise. Each time they come out they see that the call was unfounded and leave right away. I have talked to my apartment manager about this and he said he thinks it's the man above me who is "not all the way there". What are my rights? What can I do to make it clear that this is unacceptable? It is ridiculous that I should be woken up out of bed for such nonsense and it is making me very angry. I want to go and ask the guy but I am afraid it might cause more problems, like he might get mad and start calling the police even more. I live in San Jose, CA. Any advise is appreciated.
    1. There is ALWAYS a "reason" - whether or not it's Legitimate, Accurate, or something you agree with is another topic entirely
    2. How do you KNOW who is calling to complain?
    3. You might want to start looking for somewhere else to live...

handree is offline Junior Member handree is on a distinguished road
    I don't know who it is, I am assuming it is the person upstairs due to what my apartment manager has told me. That the guy above me has a history of frivolous complaints and is mentally ill. I am not a noisy person and was sound asleep last night when this occurred. Moving is not an option at this point. Is it possible for me to find out who is making the calls to the police?

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by handree View Post
    Moving is not an option at this point.
    OF COURSE IT IS AN OPTION. If the apartment burned to the ground tomorrow what would you do?

Why should we offer help if you are going to discount sound advice because it is not convenient for you?

Is it possible for me to find out who is making the calls to the police?
    To what end?
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

ParadeRest is offline enwhypeedee ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    You don't know for sure who is making the calls for sure. Don't lose any sleep over it.

I always thought we should be able to charge people a fee for calling 911 for nonsense. But that's why I'm a street cop and not a politician. Until that happens, then anyone can call 911 and say whatever the voices in their head tell them. Just tell the cop who comes "sorry, I think my neighbor keeps calling on me. as you can see, nothing is going on. would you like to come in for a cup of coffee?"

PapaBear is offline Retired SgtCHP PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute PapaBear has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    When you share a building with others, in order to avoid conflict, it is best to be considerate of those others. Keep the volume of your electronic devices at a level where it does not rattle the walls. Keep your voice down and don't get into domestic issues. Act as though everyone in the building is asleep and you will not disturb or disrupt their lives. Acting in the contrary often results in similar issues that you are experiencing. If you are disturbing one tenant, chances are you are disturbing others!

The best way to overcome the problem is to comply and be respectful or find a single family dwelling to rent, lease or buy.

Good luck!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

7. This ad will disappear if you login