Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Horologist is offline Junior Member The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts

Are sword canes legal to carry in public?

I've been using a cane for a while now, as I injured my foot, and I recently obtained a sword cane. I'd like to carry that over my standard cane because I could use it in self-defense should I find myself in a life-threatening situation, but I'm not sure what the laws are on them. Would I be allowed to carry it in public, would I need some kind of license to carry it, or would it be completely illegal?

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horologist View Post
    I've been using a cane for a while now, as I injured my foot, and I recently obtained a sword cane. I'd like to carry that over my standard cane because I could use it in self-defense should I find myself in a life-threatening situation, but I'm not sure what the laws are on them. Would I be allowed to carry it in public, would I need some kind of license to carry it, or would it be completely illegal?
    Depends on the state I would guess. Illegal to possess in NY.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

BJJVad is offline Say Car Ramrod! BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute BJJVad has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    So you drive a he**** and carry a cane sword?

What kind of ninja are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDirectly2Jail View Post
    So where ARE you from, you jackass? :rolleyes5:
    Quote Originally Posted by Legoate View Post
    Did you help him steal? I'm guessing not. So why help him deal with the consequences of his decision to steal.
    "Alright meow. Can I see your license and registration?"

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    It would be a concealed weapon in Oregon.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

The Horologist is offline Junior Member The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts The Horologist is infamous around these parts
    Oh right, sorry, I forgot to mention I live in Pennsylvania. I'm sure the laws here are more strict than a lot of others, so that's why I wanted to ask.

Also, I'm no ninja, I just don't own any handguns and I already have an item that can help my mobility and could be used secondarily in self defense. I drive a he**** because I'm a student at a watch and clock making school, and I can carry grandfather clocks in the back. But that's another matter entirely.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horologist View Post
    Oh right, sorry, I forgot to mention I live in Pennsylvania. I'm sure the laws here are more strict than a lot of others, so that's why I wanted to ask.

Also, I'm no ninja, I just don't own any handguns and I already have an item that can help my mobility and could be used secondarily in self defense. I drive a he**** because I'm a student at a watch and clock making school, and I can carry grandfather clocks in the back. But that's another matter entirely.
    A sword would be considered a very long knife/stabbing weapon.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

BP348 is offline always trust your dog BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Anything you could do with a sword cane you could do with a cane. Then you don't have to worry about any concealed weapon charge(s)
    Wrong door, buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BP348 View Post
    Anything you could do with a sword cane you could do with a cane. Then you don't have to worry about any concealed weapon charge(s)
    A lot can be done with a cane, there's no doubt about that, but the difference is in the weight and balance of the two. The sword cane I have is quite nice and well balanced; it is much easier to maneuver than my other cane. But I digress, I'd just like to find the state law on this kind of thing, and if a permit would be required or if it would be strictly illegal in any circumstance.

Sgt. Slaughter is offline Veteran Member Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute
    Do you have skills? You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills...
    Of every one hundred men, ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One... One of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others back.

"Wrong door, buddy!"

Let no man's ghost say my training failed him.

smcc360 is offline Puts the 'Duh' in DUSM smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Here's what my attorney (Google, esq.) told me:

18 Pa.C.S.A. 908-- Prohibited offensive weapons

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.

(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

Maybe you could argue that the blade isn't 'exposed in an automatic way', but I don't know how far that'd get you. I think you'd be defeated by those commas.

So it looks like the Penn...

... is mightier than the sword!
    "There is only one basic human right: the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty: the duty to take the consequences."
    -P. J. O'Rourke

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by smcc360 View Post

Thank God you don't do stand up.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

Creeker is offline Man of La Mancha Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
    Thank God you don't do stand up.
    He does wonders with what he's given.
    My Inalienable Rights were given to me by God and NOT by the Government.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."- Patrick Henry

corporal716 is offline Veteran Member corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute corporal716 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    In California cane swords are listed as illegal weapons. 12020 PC
    Last edited by corporal716; 01-15-10 at 12:15 PM.
    How come your house has wheels and your car doesn't?

acreature is offline Do work Son! acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Do you raise chickens? And if so, "Do the chickens have large talons?"

Quote Originally Posted by smcc360 View Post
    Here's what my attorney (Google, esq.) told me:

18 Pa.C.S.A. 908-- Prohibited offensive weapons

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.

(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

Maybe you could argue that the blade isn't 'exposed in an automatic way', but I don't know how far that'd get you. I think you'd be defeated by those commas.
    Ah, alright, that's part one of my question down. So, that leaves the question of whether or not a license of any sort would allow it.

That was witty enough to make me snicker.

16. This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast