Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    almasy87 is offline Junior Member almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future

Brandishing Stun Guns in Minnesota

I've been looking at the laws concerning stun guns in Minnesota. I have discovered that they are legal to carry and use in (reasonable) self-defense. However, I cannot find whether or not it is legal to brandish one in self defense. I noticed there are laws against brandishing a "dangerous weapon", but the definition given does not seem to apply to stun guns. Would it be legal to brandish a stun gun to repel a minor attack? I ask because I know I should run at first if possible, but I have tendonitis in my foot and I'm not sure how far I could realistically get. Thank you.

Samuel is offline Fascist Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by almasy87 View Post
    I've been looking at the laws concerning stun guns in Minnesota. I have discovered that they are legal to carry and use in (reasonable) self-defense. However, I cannot find whether or not it is legal to brandish one in self defense. I noticed there are laws against brandishing a "dangerous weapon", but the definition given does not seem to apply to stun guns. Would it be legal to brandish a stun gun to repel a minor attack? I ask because I know I should run at first if possible, but I have tendonitis in my foot and I'm not sure how far I could realistically get. Thank you.
    If you can USE it in self defense, why wouldn't you be able to brandish it (i.e. threaten to use it) in self defense?????

almasy87 is offline Junior Member almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future almasy87 has a brilliant future
    I wouldn't think there would be a problem considering it's designed to be nonlethal, but you never know I guess.

I was wondering because I know it's legal to brandish, for example, a knife, and doing so could get you in trouble even if you did it to deter an attack.

I suppose that if stun guns are designed to be actually used as a deterrent, threatening to use one isn't any different, as it may have the same effect. Do you think the key here is that stun guns are only designed to deter in the first place?

Citicop is offline The Original Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    That is a dangerous mindset to have and may get you hurt or killed.

NEVER expose a weapon assuming that the sight of it will be enough.

If you "brandish" a weapon, it should only be to acquire a target and use it.

Any other mindset may give your attacker time to harm you.

-Citicop.
    Sometimes there's Justice...
    and sometimes, there's Just Us
    1*

In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

5. This ad will disappear if you login