Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    angelausp is offline Junior Member angelausp is on a distinguished road

Real vs. Reality TV

Silly question, but I watch several police “reality” shows and I was wondering if they were anything like what actually happens day to day?

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Not where I work. There has been some times where an incident could make a show like that, but most of the time I am handling BS stuff that I personally would never in a million years call the police for. Some guys on here that work the bigger cities may tell you different though.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

Curt581 is offline Wannabe AARP member Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by angelausp View Post
    Silly question, but I watch several police “reality” shows and I was wondering if they were anything like what actually happens day to day?
    Yes, it is. The shows depict a 40 minute time period of our day.

What the TV shows dont show is the rest of the 8 or more hour shift, which is spent.... typing/writing the reports, filling out the 23 forms that accompany the arrest, the 14 forms needed for the damaged squad car and ripped uniform shirt, the overtime form for your court appearance the next morning, the time spent transporting said DBIQ to Jail, the waiting in the Booking room while someone checks to make sure your paperwork is filled out correctly, and getting the DBIQ medically cleared, the time spent giving verbal explanations to the sergeant, the night commander and the public information officer, inventorying whatever evidence was collected, etc etc.

Yep, it's all fun and games.

counihan is offline roadRunner. counihan has a reputation beyond repute counihan has a reputation beyond repute counihan has a reputation beyond repute counihan has a reputation beyond repute counihan has a reputation beyond repute counihan has a reputation beyond repute counihan has a reputation beyond repute counihan has a reputation beyond repute counihan has a reputation beyond repute counihan has a reputation beyond repute counihan has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt581 View Post

What the TV shows dont show is the rest of the 8 or more hour shift, which is spent.... typing/writing the reports, filling out the 23 forms that accompany the arrest, the 14 forms needed for the damaged squad car and ripped uniform shirt, the overtime form for your court appearance the next morning, the time spent transporting said DBIQ to Jail, the waiting in the Booking room while someone checks to make sure your paperwork is filled out correctly, and getting the DBIQ medically cleared, the time spent giving verbal explanations to the sergeant, the night commander and the public information officer, inventorying whatever evidence was collected, etc etc.

You just made my headache come back, thanks! :D

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt581 View Post

And its also not always recorded over 1 shift, and when the cops crew is with a cop, that cop will respond to a lot more jobs than they normally would, to get footage.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Legoate is offline Avatar Stolen Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    A buddy of mine was chosen to drive the COPS crew around for a while. He ended up with them in his car for about 3 months. During that time they collected enough footage for him to be in 3 episodes for a total of about 15 minutes. So figure, 3 months of filming for 15 minutes of show-worthy footage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightshooter
    Your selective outrage is hypocritical. Don't you have an anti-war rally to attend where you can go burn some American flags with your hippie buddies?

angelausp is offline Junior Member angelausp is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the feedback. So, what is your craziest arrest story. I've seen episodes of COPS when they have to chase people down and have been exposed to some serious stuff. Anyone care to share?

SnapShawt is offline Veteran Member SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Not with me they wouldn't. I'd tell them to take their gear and go find someone more camera friendly ;)
    "Now I can just tell people that I'm old, cranky and to leave me the hell alone!" --retdetsgt

"I'm a certified Bovine Scatology Detector" --Creeker

BP348 is offline always trust your dog BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I read somewhere that it can take a few weeks to get enough "good stuff" to make an episode of Cops.
    Wrong door, buddy

10. This ad will disappear if you login