Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Devon is offline Junior Member Devon is on a distinguished road

can somebody get arrested for flipping off a cop?

i have had alot of people ask me this question, and because i am studying criminal justice, , they think i should know, but i honestly dont. So i am asking here, is it possible for a cop to arrest somebody just for flipping them off or cussing them out? i am not asking because i want to do it or anything like that. I am just asking so when the idiots out there ask me this question, i dont look stupid by sayin that i dont know. thanks
    Last edited by Devon; 07-04-09 at 04:01 PM.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    i am asking because i want to do it or anything like that.
    You sure you meant what you posted (in bold above), and not "I DO NOT want to do it"?

If you want to try it, go ahead, and let us know how that works for you.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

Devon is offline Junior Member Devon is on a distinguished road
    wow, yea i meant to say i dont want to

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Laws vary from one state to another, but in AL (where I worked patrol previously), flipping someone the bird could fall under Disorderly Conduct (13A-11-7(3)):

Quote Originally Posted by AL Statute 13A-11-7
    A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:

(1) Engages in fighting or in violent tumultuous or threatening behavior; or

(2) Makes unreasonable noise; or

(3) In a public place uses abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture; or...
    However, police are typically expected to take a larger amount of verbal and guestural abuse than the average citizen. Now, if you flip off a cop and it is seen by others in the public who are "annoyed or alarmed" (such as doing this in front of a family with small children), then it could be an arrestable offense.

Probably the same in other states, where it depends on the circumstances, but could be an arrestable offense.

My new hero!

Samuel is offline is out Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    i have had alot of people ask me this question, and because i am studying criminal justice, , they think i should know, but i honestly dont. So i am asking here, is it possible for a cop to arrest somebody just for flipping them off or cussing them out? i am not asking because i want to do it or anything like that. I am just asking so when the idiots out there ask me this question, i dont look stupid by sayin that i dont know. thanks
    If you are running around with your bright green neon hair, carrying a BB gun in public, and you see someone who appears to be a police officer in regular clothes, showing a badge on his/her belt and a holstered firearm, it would be in your best interest NOT to flip him/her off...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JakeLock is offline Draggin' ***... JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Here if you did that to me you could be, however I could not be the complainant. A civilian would have to make a complaint that they were offended by your actions and then I could arrest you for disorderly conduct.
    "The enemy of my enemy is probably still my enemy."

Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    If you are running around with your bright green neon hair, carrying a BB gun in public, and you see someone who appears to be a police officer in regular clothes, showing a badge on his/her belt and a holstered firearm, it would be in your best interest NOT to flip him/her off...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    This IS the same a$$hat who has "naturally" neon green hair, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I think I'm finally going to make use of the ignore button here.

My new hero!

InTheEnd is offline Veteran Member InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Disorderly Conduct.

mobrien316 is offline Philosopher/Marksman mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    We don't arrest anyone for that here.

We just break off the finger.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Fiat justitia, ruat coelum.

kels is offline RPs Official WARPIG kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Middle part of Kansas, just a few trees and not quite FLAT
    No.

But since your drivers license is suspended and you dont have current proof of insurance and an expired tag. You are still going to jail. We tow the car and we get to go home when the paper work is done.

YOU on the other hand, get to share a holding cell with BUBBA.
    It ok though, he is lonely and waiting to go back the big house.

We wont even get into that open beer, baggie of weed in your pants or
    the white powder on your upper lip.

On second thought, yes we will, the County Attorney likes dope cases.
    Makes him look good in the local paper.
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Disorderly Conduct.
    with intent to cause public annoyance or alarm or recklessly create thereof...
    offensive language or gesture...

Don't know which subdivision it is off the top of my head, but it'd stick in NY. There's been appeals that the judge upheld.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    In NYC you can be given multiple summonses or arrested. Officers choice.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I flip cops off all the time... I hate those jerks.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Cops: Passenger cited after singing expletive-filled song

Cops: Passenger cited after singing expletive-filled song -- Newsday.com

I have also personally issued a summons to a passenger of a vehicle for cursing at the police as he drove by. Guess he should've checked to make sure our windows were closed first.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Samuel is offline is out Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
    I flip cops off all the time... I hate those jerks.
    Don't hate the playa - hate the Game! :rolleyes: :D

16. This ad will disappear if you login