Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    farmgirl is offline Junior Member farmgirl is on a distinguished road

Fines vs Community Service Hours

Hello! I have known people who, when receiving a speeding ticket, have opted to do community service instead of paying the fine. Not sure if it's a common practice all over, but apparently is done relatively frequently in Saskatchewan (Canada) where I reside. I was curious if you had any opinions on the matter. Or do you really not care one way or the other?
    I promise not to be offended if it's beneath your dignity to answer my trifling question. :cool:

SnapShawt is offline Veteran Member SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I'm not sure what opinion you're asking for. Are you asking if they do indeed have community service in lieu of paying the fine? Or are you asking how we feel about you doing community service if allowed instead of paying the fine?

I wouldn't know the answer to the first question. You'd need to call your court and find out.

As far as doing community service instead of paying the fine, then go for it. It is a way in which, instead of paying money, you put in work time for the locality and instead of being paid it is credited to your fine. The community benefits from you working, and you benefit by not having to shell out the cash.

In that case, I think community service is a great thing. Sometimes I don't, but that's another story on other types of cases.
    "Now I can just tell people that I'm old, cranky and to leave me the hell alone!" --retdetsgt

"I'm a certified Bovine Scatology Detector" --Creeker

Just looking for opinions on how you feel about people taking that option... I like the idea of giving something back to the community, but then I'm also of the opinion that one does not have to be forced into it and can volunteer anytime they desire...;)

Piggy is offline Trained Assassin Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I don't have any problem with it. It shouldn't be about the money or the fine, it should be about correcting a driving problem which is a danger to others.

If I make $250,000 a year and I get a speeding fine of $100, I really wouldn't care. Now if I make $20,000 a year and I get a speeding fine of $100, I really would care.

I'm not suggesting rich people get a higher fine, I just think the system should have other options.
    One Big Ass Mistake America

Fair enough; I guess either way you're taking ownership of your poor decision making and (hopefully) learning enough from it to correct behaviour patterns - as opposed to sloughing responsibility off onto someone or something else.
    Thanks for your opinions; it's always good to have a different way of looking at things!

SnapShawt is offline Veteran Member SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I agree that volunteering is a GREAT thing and more people should do it more often. However, it you are doing it in lieu of fine payment, then there will of course be a set time limit in which you have to get it done. It SHOULD be that way. Otherwise, you could say, "Oh, I'll get around to it, thanks for giving me community service instead of the fine." Imagine how many would never "get around to it"!
    "Now I can just tell people that I'm old, cranky and to leave me the hell alone!" --retdetsgt

"I'm a certified Bovine Scatology Detector" --Creeker

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I personally couldn't care less what the sentence is for a guilty plea or conviction to a moving violation is. Its the violent crimes where they get probation that annoy me. Whether the person is convicted, or found not guilty, I still get paid the same. Whether they pay the fine or not, I still get paid the same. It doesn't affect my license, and since I work in NYC, chances are I won't even encounter the same person again.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

pac201 is offline just glad to be here... pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    We offer community service as a way to keep the infraction off your driving record. (ins. rates go up if it goes on your record) I have also found that I would rather have a teenager washing cars and cleaning up nasty jail cells as a learning experience rather than Mom or Dad paying a fine...
    Job Security...
    Ecclesiastes 8:11...
    Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

I see what you mean about having a set time limit in which to do community service hours; I also get what you're saying about teens having to do community service to make sure they're the ones who are having to pay for their infraction as opposed to their parents! Never occured to me before now though...

10. This ad will disappear if you login