Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gaby94509 is offline Junior Member gaby94509 is on a distinguished road

ethical issues within the field of criminal justice

I need help can someone help me and give me an example on these questions.

How can unethical behavior by an investigator hurt or destroy a bribery case?

How are ethics applicable in an investigation such as violations of search and seizure laws?

What is police misconduct in an Unlawful arrest and falsifying testimony?

CityOfChicago is offline Veteran Member CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Seriously - WTF?

Is this a project for junior high? Because if it's anything but that, you should be able to figure this out on your own in about 30 seconds.

Do you know what ethics are? Do you know what unethical behavior is? Bribery? Search ans seizure? Laws?

If you were unethical, and confronted with a case involving bribery, could you think of how a) an unethical officer offered a bribe creates a problem, and b) if an investigator has a reputation or history of behavior that is considered unethical, and is involved in a case involving bribery, his prior experiences could be harmful to the case?

If you cant spend 5 minutes on this and come up with three pages, maybe you should consider leaving school and operating a deep fat fryer at any local fast food joint.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Answering homework questions is done on a fee based menu. How much are you willing to pay for our expertise ? But , I understand that your local PD would be glad to talk to you for free. ( ok, maybe they would consider talking to you )
    Creeper Cop

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Here's an ethics question for you:

Is it unethical for someone (especially a criminal justice student) to have someone else do their homework assignment for them, and then take credit for research they never did.

I'll give you the answer to this one: YES!

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

SnapShawt is offline Veteran Member SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Oh come on guys, just answer the questions and stop being such jerks.

1. How can unethical behavior by an investigator hurt or destroy a bribery case?

It can't. Officers may use all available means, including excessive force AND unethical behavior, to resolve an investigation. While in an interview room for example, if you are uncooperative, we may utilize things such as "shock therapy" and talking about doing things with your mother and/or sister to ensure that you talk. If you ask for an attorney, we are only obligated to comply with that request if an officer is present in the room with his official uniform hat on.

2. How are ethics applicable in an investigation such as violations of search and seizure laws?

Search and seizure statutes do not apply during official investigations. They are only relevant at a crime scene where an investigator, as opposed to a street officer, has not yet arrived. When an investigator arrives, such statutes no longer apply and anything in the area, including the suspect, may be searched for any reason. If the initital responding officer do not have official uniform hats on when responding, then they are also not bound by search and seizures statures and court rulings. It's very touch and go and rookies make mistakes all the time by forgetting to remove their hats, thus also forgetting that they are bound by the statutes until removing them.

3. What is police misconduct in an Unlawful arresat and falsifying testimony?

There is no such thing really as an "unlawful arrest." Any arrest we make at any time is lawful. This is a misunderstanding by many in society which leads to all kinds of confusion. Testimony falsification only applies to the susupect - not the officer. In other words, if we say WE said or did something that we didn't say or do, then that is falsification. HOWEVER, if we say the suspect said or did something that he didn't really say or do, that is not considered falsification. It is normal during the course of any investigation and may be continued through testimony in court. Again though, the hats come into play. Doing so while wearing a hat is a clear violation.

I apologize for my fellow officers. They always look at such things as homework. I am glad to help and think they should be as well. My answers should get you well on your way.

Best of luck to you ;)
    "Now I can just tell people that I'm old, cranky and to leave me the hell alone!" --retdetsgt

"I'm a certified Bovine Scatology Detector" --Creeker

CityOfChicago is offline Veteran Member CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Mac, you're right. I have seen the error of my wiseacre ways and seek redemption through the holy power of RP. I repent!

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Mac , your answers may be a direct violation of the TOS here at RP. Specifically Section 3731 a , 1 & 4. ( as annotated and codified under the statutes and regulations of this LE based site.)

The mods shall gather and discuss your fate and or punishment.
    Creeper Cop

Curt581 is offline Wannabe AARP member Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsap View Post
    The mods shall gather and discuss your fate and or punishment.
    Put him in the Iron Maiden.

Verified LEO

SnapShawt is offline Veteran Member SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute SnapShawt has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Crap, I forgot about Section 3731 a , 1 & 4. Well, I had actually forgotten it had been annotated and codified. Okay, I will no longer violate that section, please inform the mods.

*prepares for Iron Maiden*
    "Now I can just tell people that I'm old, cranky and to leave me the hell alone!" --retdetsgt

"I'm a certified Bovine Scatology Detector" --Creeker

deputywave is offline Got TP!? deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Let the Iron Maiden begin..........

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat

Rise up, gather round. Rock this place to the ground.
    Burn it up with our fave, Rock-N-Roll with deputywave
    Rock On!

Vehicle Owner: (Goes to shake my hand)
    Me: No offense, I don't shake hands.
    Passenger: That's right. You don't shake hands with a person wearing gloves. It's a German thing. He looks German.

Verified LEO
    Paul Di'Anno era

Enter the Bruce

This is my second semister in school I just ask for an example to my question. Nobody is doing my homework for me I don't know what the @@@@ you writing about.

Thank you for your help but I'm not going to use your anwsers I just need an example of the questions i didn't understand but now I do.

BP348 is offline always trust your dog BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby94509 View Post
    This is my second semister in school I just ask for an example to my question. Nobody is doing my homework for me I don't know what the @@@@ you writing about.
    It's simple, here at RP.net we get numerous requests like yours. The problem is that the majority of us have attended college and rightly believe that the people who post these types of questions are looking to do their assigned homework assignemnts the easy way. I.E. have someone else give you all the answers.

Most would expect that the point of your assignment was to have you go to your local police department and ask your questions there.

I can't speak for your instructors but I know mine would never accecpt an interview conducted over the internet. How do you prove to your instructor that the person you interviewed is really a police officer?

Just something to think about

Good Luck with school
    Wrong door, buddy

16. This ad will disappear if you login