Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Magic27 is offline Banned Magic27 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2009
    Posts
    8

    ILLINOIS POLICE PLEASE READ!! Is it illegal to tint headlights in IL??

    I have a vehicle that I take to car shows in the spring/summer/fall & both tail lights and head lights are tinted, That tail lights are blacked out out with this translucent paint but when the brakes/turn signals/reverse lights are applied it shines through strongly.. the headlights on the other hand have a LIGHT TO MEDIUM tint, The light shines through clearly and can be seen from a full city block away.

    I have driven the vehicle around north chicago,south & west suburbs with no problems at all & no cops stopping me, I have even rec'd a few thumbs up from police!

    My question is, Are tinted head/tail lights illegal in IL????

  2. #2
    Citicop's Avatar
    Citicop is offline The Original Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute
    Moderator
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    Jul 11th, 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,875
    There will be an Illinois officer along shortly to answer your question, but it will probably come down to color. In Missouri, all vehicle lights must be white, yellow, or amber to the front, and red, yellow, or amber to the rear.
    Sometimes there's Justice...
    and sometimes, there's Just Us
    1*

    In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

  3. #3
    Magic27 is offline Banned Magic27 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks! I look forward to the response! :D

  4. #4
    BP348's Avatar
    BP348 is offline always trust your dog BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    Jan 2nd, 2006
    Location
    1000 miles West of Norm
    Posts
    4,879
    Tinting your head & tail lights? :confused:

    Sorry that's got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard of. Not only does it make your vehicle harder to see by other vehicles it cuts down on what you can see .

    I'm sure CoC or another IL officer will be along to answer your question
    Wrong door, buddy

  5. #5
    CityOfChicago's Avatar
    CityOfChicago is offline Veteran Member CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    Jul 6th, 2004
    Location
    Uhhh... Seriously?
    Posts
    3,125
    (625 ILCS 5/Ch. 12 Art. II heading)
    ARTICLE II. LIGHTS AND LAMPS


    (625 ILCS 5/12‑201) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑201)
    Sec. 12‑201. When lighted lamps are required.

    (b) All other motor vehicles shall exhibit at least 2 lighted head lamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, which satisfy United States Department of Transportation requirements, showing white lights, including that emitted by high intensity discharge (HID) lamps, or lights of a yellow or amber tint, during the period from sunset to sunrise, at times when rain, snow, fog, or other atmospheric conditions require the use of windshield wipers, and at any other times when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 1000 feet. Parking lamps may be used in addition to but not in lieu of such head lamps. Every motor vehicle, trailer, or semi‑trailer shall also exhibit at least 2 lighted lamps, commonly known as tail lamps, which shall be mounted on the left rear and right rear of the vehicle so as to throw a red light visible for at least 500 feet in the reverse direction, except that a truck tractor or road tractor manufactured before January 1, 1968 and all motorcycles need be equipped with only one such tail lamp.

    (625 ILCS 5/12‑212) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑212)
    Sec. 12‑212. Special restrictions on lamps. (a) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device on the vehicle or equipment displaying a red light visible from directly in front of the vehicle or equipment except as otherwise provided in this Act.
    (b) Subject to the restrictions of this Act, flashing lights are prohibited on motor vehicles except as a means for indicating a right or left turn as provided in Section 12‑208 or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care as expressly provided in Sections 11‑804 or 12‑215.
    (c) Unless otherwise expressly authorized by this Code, all other lighting or combination of lighting on any vehicle shall be prohibited.

  6. #6
    Magic27 is offline Banned Magic27 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2009
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by BP348 View Post
    Tinting your head & tail lights? :confused:

    Sorry that's got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard of. Not only does it make your vehicle harder to see by other vehicles it cuts down on what you can see .

    I'm sure CoC or another IL officer will be along to answer your question
    Read my initial post boss ;), It's for a car show. I seen a vehicle with tinted head lamps & tail lamps in california at a show, Now any kind of tinting of lights including HID's are illegal in cali according to the vehicles owner. I dont take my show car to work or to the grocery store etc. I only bring it out for the shows.

  7. #7
    Magic27 is offline Banned Magic27 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2009
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by CityOfChicago View Post
    (625 ILCS 5/Ch. 12 Art. II heading)
    ARTICLE II. LIGHTS AND LAMPS


    (625 ILCS 5/12‑201) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑201)
    Sec. 12‑201. When lighted lamps are required.

    (b) All other motor vehicles shall exhibit at least 2 lighted head lamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, which satisfy United States Department of Transportation requirements, showing white lights, including that emitted by high intensity discharge (HID) lamps, or lights of a yellow or amber tint, during the period from sunset to sunrise, at times when rain, snow, fog, or other atmospheric conditions require the use of windshield wipers, and at any other times when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 1000 feet. Parking lamps may be used in addition to but not in lieu of such head lamps. Every motor vehicle, trailer, or semi‑trailer shall also exhibit at least 2 lighted lamps, commonly known as tail lamps, which shall be mounted on the left rear and right rear of the vehicle so as to throw a red light visible for at least 500 feet in the reverse direction, except that a truck tractor or road tractor manufactured before January 1, 1968 and all motorcycles need be equipped with only one such tail lamp.

    (625 ILCS 5/12‑212) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑212)
    Sec. 12‑212. Special restrictions on lamps. (a) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device on the vehicle or equipment displaying a red light visible from directly in front of the vehicle or equipment except as otherwise provided in this Act.
    (b) Subject to the restrictions of this Act, flashing lights are prohibited on motor vehicles except as a means for indicating a right or left turn as provided in Section 12‑208 or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care as expressly provided in Sections 11‑804 or 12‑215.
    (c) Unless otherwise expressly authorized by this Code, all other lighting or combination of lighting on any vehicle shall be prohibited.
    TY Brother.. But the one thing I dont get is I see blacked out tails all over north chicago & vulgar HID kits on vehicle's twice as much yet cops just drive right past them.. Why?:confused:

  8. #8
    Samuel is offline is out Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    Sep 19th, 2002
    Location
    on walkabout
    Posts
    8,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic27 View Post
    Read my initial post boss ;), It's for a car show. I seen a vehicle with tinted head lamps & tail lamps in california at a show, Now any kind of tinting of lights including HID's are illegal in cali according to the vehicles owner. I dont take my show car to work or to the grocery store etc. I only bring it out for the shows.
    Hey "BOSS" (or "SSOB") just because you see a car at a car show does NOT mean it's legal to be operated on a public highway/street... Id est - if you drive an illegally modified car on the street, your excuse of it being a "show car" is NOT going to guarantee that you don't get a ticket... :rolleyes:

  9. #9
    Samuel is offline is out Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    Sep 19th, 2002
    Location
    on walkabout
    Posts
    8,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic27 View Post
    TY Brother.. But the one thing I dont get is I see blacked out tails all over north chicago & vulgar HID kits on vehicle's twice as much yet cops just drive right past them.. Why?:confused:
    well, gee, it MUST mean that those modifications are A OK... :rolleyes:

  10. #10
    Creeker's Avatar
    Creeker is offline Man of La Mancha Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    Jul 14th, 2005
    Location
    Coastal SC
    Posts
    10,794
    I can pretty much bet that tinting of head/tail lights is against Federal Highway standards, not to mention pretty juvenile and totally lacking in common sense.

    Lights are required to emit a specific amount of lumens and be a specific color... I do remember that much. Tinting either of them would certainly reduce the light emitted and may change the color as well.

    ...and the reason you see Cops drive right past them is likely because light tinting is fairly low on the Beat Cops enforcement criteria, unlike say a Traffic Cop or a State Highway Trooper.
    My Inalienable Rights were given to me by God and NOT by the Government.


    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."- Patrick Henry



  11. #11
    TX-LEO's Avatar
    TX-LEO is offline Some Call me JR TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    Feb 8th, 2005
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    3,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic27 View Post
    Read my initial post boss ;), It's for a car show. I seen a vehicle with tinted head lamps & tail lamps in california at a show, Now any kind of tinting of lights including HID's are illegal in cali according to the vehicles owner. I dont take my show car to work or to the grocery store etc. I only bring it out for the shows.


    BOSS? Usually folks call me that after spending some time in their local state Jail as a matter of habit.

    Anyway, if you cover up your lights while at the car show, and your car is parked, your fine. If you drive to and from the event's with your lights covered up, you are most certainly in violation because the lights most likely don't emit the proper amount of lighting as a result. Especially the rear brake lights.

    I see the light covers here also but dont pay them much attention however that dosen't mean it's not a violation.
    "I'd rather hunt with VP Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

  12. #12
    CityOfChicago's Avatar
    CityOfChicago is offline Veteran Member CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute CityOfChicago has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    Jul 6th, 2004
    Location
    Uhhh... Seriously?
    Posts
    3,125
    I'm Illinois, and in the Chicago muni code, it specifically states that lights can be white or a tint of yellow or amber. Note that iy does NOT say your headlights can BE yellow or amber - only that they can have a tint to the color. I interpret this to mean that the BULBS may have a SLIGHT yellowish or amber hue to them, but the bulbs cannot be yellow or amber - or any other color. The law states that a motor vehicle (except motorcycles) must have two (2) functioning headlamps that emit a white light at least 1000feet. If you install yellow or amber bulbs or LENSES, you are violating the law. If you install any other color you are in violation of the law. Now, if your lenses are painted with the black tint paint, but when on can still emit a white light visible at least to 1000feet, I'd say you would be OK.

    Again, as far as tailights, they must be red and visible at 500feet at well. Black tinted lenses are OK, so long as when activated - as TAILIGHTS, not brake lights - they are visible from 500feet.

  13. #13
    BP348's Avatar
    BP348 is offline always trust your dog BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    Jan 2nd, 2006
    Location
    1000 miles West of Norm
    Posts
    4,879
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-LEO View Post
    BOSS? Usually folks call me that after spending some time in their local state Jail as a matter of habit.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic27 View Post
    TY Brother.. But the one thing I dont get is I see blacked out tails all over north chicago & vulgar HID kits on vehicle's twice as much yet cops just drive right past them.. Why
    Why don't I believe you have earned the right to call CoC brother
    Wrong door, buddy

  14. #14
    Magic27 is offline Banned Magic27 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2009
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Hey "BOSS" (or "SSOB") just because you see a car at a car show does NOT mean it's legal to be operated on a public highway/street... Id est - if you drive an illegally modified car on the street, your excuse of it being a "show car" is NOT going to guarantee that you don't get a ticket... :rolleyes:
    SSOB?? Umm ok.. Your post taught me absolutely nothing other then the fact that you come off as a complete douchebag. But thanks anyway:cool:

  15. #15
    Magic27 is offline Banned Magic27 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2009
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by BP348 View Post
    +1



    Why don't I believe you have earned the right to call CoC brother
    Earn the right? IDK.. I dont care about EARNING rights to call anybody brother but I gather you are talking about his law enforcement status & me just being me but I served my country for 8 years as a marine... I'll call whoever I want BROTHER.

  16. This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts