Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    lifechanger is offline Junior Member lifechanger is on a distinguished road

Can i still become a cop if i have done drugs

I have done marijuana less than a dozen times through my years. I am 29 ex army intelligence. I have also done cocaine a couple times, it was not the brightest of moves. I regret having done the latter, but i can not reverse time and change. I am pretty determined and motivated about becoming a police officer and want to know.

I do not think i have it in me to lie even though it has been recommended. I am a good person with good values. My background check will more than show those results. So overall, can i or can i not apply?

Thank you for your time

Piggy is offline Trained Assassin Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    You can apply but the cocaine use will be a DQ with most agencies. Keep in mind, there are a ton of applicants out there right now so the only way you could stay competitive is if all the other applicants used more drugs than you.
    One Big Ass Mistake America

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Probably not. Although some depts have loosed their standards. I suspect you'll have to apply to a number of depts to find one willing to overlook it.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

pac201 is offline just glad to be here... pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    JMPO, I don't think any dept. will overlook the cocaine usage. There are support services that are associated with LE that you might be hired for...
    Job Security...
    Ecclesiastes 8:11...
    Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Group9 is offline Hurricanes suck! Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Too many people looking for the same jobs who haven't used cocaine.

Find another dream.
    "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

Old Chinese Proverb

Roger Dat is offline Doing my part Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Not a chance, especially in this economy. Too many applicants without that.
    ďTake you hands off the car, and Iíll make your birth certificate a worthless document." UNKNOWN

deputywave is offline Got TP!? deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lifechanger View Post
    I have done marijuana less than a dozen times through my years. I am 29 ex army intelligence. I have also done cocaine a couple times, it was not the brightest of moves. I regret having done the latter, but i can not reverse time and change.
    The highlighted portion is very telling. You only regret having done cocaine? You do not regret doing marijuana? Your marijuana usage is probably going to be considered more than experimental. Your cocaine usage is a DQ in damn near every department.

Can you apply? Yes
    Will you get hired? Not likely
    A nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat

Rise up, gather round. Rock this place to the ground.
    Burn it up with our fave, Rock-N-Roll with deputywave
    Rock On!

Vehicle Owner: (Goes to shake my hand)
    Me: No offense, I don't shake hands.
    Passenger: That's right. You don't shake hands with a person wearing gloves. It's a German thing. He looks German.

MP_Steve is offline Veteran Member MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I have done marijuana less than a dozen times through my years. I am 29 ex army intelligence. I have also done cocaine a couple times, it was not the brightest of moves. I regret having done the latter, but i can not reverse time and change. I am pretty determined and motivated about becoming a police officer and want to know.

I do not think i have it in me to lie even though it has been recommended. I am a good person with good values. My background check will more than show those results. So overall, can i or can i not apply?

Thank you for your time
    I knew a long time ago what I wanted to do when I grew up. Not for that specific reason alone, but I choose to not hang around the wrong crowd and not to get involved with illegal or questionable activity.

I figured you would've used some of that intelligence the Army gave you. :rolleyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
    That being said, maybe they would last longer if I stopped getting them from the cemetery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey9019 View Post
    What Would Norm Do?

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I do not think i have it in me to lie even though it has been recommended.
    You'll be happy to know that police agencies EXPECT some applicants to lie about their past, which is why they do a background investigation and polygraph in the first place. People have been charged for giving false statements to police in their background investigations, so if you decide to take the recommendation some have given you, expect severe consequences when it's uncovered. ;)

Seriously, is getting a job as a police officer really worth possibly going to jail? If not, do not lie on your background application. I won't tell anyone not to apply, but man up to what you've done and let the chips fall where they may.
    Last edited by Kimble; 03-07-09 at 10:51 AM.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

BP348 is offline always trust your dog BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ros View Post
    seriously, is getting a job as a police officer really worth possibly going to jail? If not, do not lie on your background application. I won't tell anyone not to apply, but man up to what you've done and let the chips fall where they may.
    +1...
    Wrong door, buddy

11. This ad will disappear if you login