Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    vbguru12000 is offline Junior Member vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute vbguru12000 has a reputation beyond repute

Entering an intersection on a green light

So I just had an argument with my girlfriend and rather than continuing it, decided to simply ask you professionals. So here's the question: when you're in a left turn only lane and the light is green (but no arrow), are you allowed to enter the intersection and wait for traffic to clear before you make your turn? I'm curious specifically about Indiana state laws, but other state laws would be interesting to hear also. I've included the relevant (at least from what I can tell) section of the Indiana Code, but couldn't figure out the answer for myself from it.

Code:
    IC 9-21-3-7
    Signals exhibiting colored lights; requirements; explanation of colors
         Sec. 7. (a) Whenever traffic is controlled by traffic control signals exhibiting different colored lights or colored lighted arrows successively, one (1) at a time or in combination, only the colors green, red, or yellow may be used, except for special pedestrian signals under IC 9-21-18.
        (b) The lights indicate and apply to drivers of vehicles and pedestrians as follows:
            (1) Green indication means the following:
                (A) Vehicular traffic facing a circular green signal may proceed straight through or turn right or left, unless a sign at the place prohibits either turn.
                (B) Vehicular traffic, including vehicles turning right or left, shall yield the right-of-way to other vehicles and to pedestrians lawfully within the intersection or an adjacent sidewalk at the time the signal is exhibited.
                (C) Vehicular traffic facing a green arrow signal, shown alone or in combination with another indication, may cautiously enter the intersection only to make the movement indicated by the green arrow or other movement permitted by other indications shown at the same time.
                (D) Vehicular traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.
                (E) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal, pedestrians facing a green signal, except when the sole green signal is a turn arrow, may proceed across the roadway within a marked or unmarked crosswalk.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I wasn't a traffic hound, but I would never write anyone a ticket for entering the intersection to wait to turn left. I would think it would be legal. Maybe one of the traffic cossacks would know different:confused:.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I was always under the impression that you can enter the intersection, BUT keep your wheels straight (in case you're rear ended, so you won't get pushed into oncoming traffic), and you complete the turn when the intersection is cleared, or when the traffic signal changes. At no time do you want to be in a position that you are obstructing traffic who does have a green, so once the perpendicular direction gets green, you better go.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

lax854 is offline Veteran Member lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    I was always under the impression that you can enter the intersection, BUT keep your wheels straight (in case you're rear ended, so you won't get pushed into oncoming traffic), and you complete the turn when the intersection is cleared, or when the traffic signal changes. At no time do you want to be in a position that you are obstructing traffic who does have a green, so once the perpendicular direction gets green, you better go.
    This depends on state LAW. In NY, it is legal to enter the intersection and wait for traffic to clear to turn. If the light turns red and you are still waiting, you have the RIGHT OF WAY automatically being the car that is still waiting to turn and other cars with the green must yield to this right of way. As for keeping you wheels straight, thats just a smart thing to do incase you are rearended

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Now that I think about it, I seem to remember I was taught in the academy driving to pull into the intersection (wheels straight, etc.) and wait for traffic to clear to turn left.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    If you are turning , yes. As long as you can than immediately clear the intersection.

If you are going straight...NO.

Under no circumstances can you remain out in the intersection and block traffic after the light has changed. Especially when you find that due to backed up traffic...you can't complete your movement.
    Creeper Cop

7. This ad will disappear if you login