Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    LRIGSMIT is offline Junior Member LRIGSMIT is on a distinguished road

Female Officer Uniform and Hair Regulations

I am 19 and a female and plan on going to the academy at 20 1/2.
    I have a few questions about hair and uniform.

How can female officers wear their hair?
    And how can females wear their hair during training at the academy?

Would a pony tail be fine?

And the uniform question isn't really the uniform, more like underneath...

Which is better to wear a regular bra or a sports bra?
    Is wearing a sports bra allowed and does it have to be a certain color?

Thanks in advance.

BP348 is offline always trust your dog BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    USBP regs state that it females hair can't go below the collar. Pony Tail is OK at the academy but only for P.T.

If my daughter was going to an academy I'd tell her to cut her hair. Saves a lot of time and it's one less thing to worry about. Plus you can always grow your hair out after the academy

Can't help you with the bra question. I don't know what the females I work with wear and I wouldn't even think about asking.
    Wrong door, buddy

I could never cut my hair so short that when it was down it didn't touch my collar.
    What ways are females allowed to put it up if their hair is shoulder length or longer?

BP348 is offline always trust your dog BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I don't know the proper terms but I think they put their hair in a pony tail and then use a clip so it's all above the collar.

You should consider cutting your hair, to the collar, it really helps. & like I said you can regrow it after the academy.
    Wrong door, buddy

bluelightzgrl is offline adult babysitter bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute bluelightzgrl has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LRIGSMIT View Post
    I am 19 and a female and plan on going to the academy at 20 1/2.
    First off, congrads on a school date. Hiring processes can be stressful.

How can female officers wear their hair?
    And how can females wear their hair during training at the academy?
    Most common rule when it comes to hair is nothing can touch the bottom edge of the collar. If you have longer hair this means bun, braid, etc. I personally have short hair and only need to tie my "bangs" back.

Would a pony tail be fine?
    More than likely only during PT and only in the academy. Most the time pony tails are considered unprofessional in uniform.

And the uniform question isn't really the uniform, more like underneath...

Which is better to wear a regular bra or a sports bra?
    Is wearing a sports bra allowed and does it have to be a certain color?

Thanks in advance.
    This is gonna get a bit personal (shutit peanut gallery!), but the bra aspect is really going to depend on you. I never have and never will wear a regular bra on duty. It gets in the way of the proper fit of body armor. Second, have you run in a regular bar?? Do you even want to? Me, personally, no f'in way! In the end it'll really depend on what you are more comfortable in but my suggestion is to invest in good sports bras (I prefer Under Armour).

As for the colors, on duty -if anyone is checking there is something seriously wrong! As for the academy, well color requirement could be a possibility, if so it is usually limited to white, black and dark blue. Depends on the school and the only time they would check is when they do room/locker inspections. My suggestion, see if you can find a female officer who is on the dept you are going to work for or one who went to the same acadmey you will be going to, ask her what the requirement was. But, my suggestion... in vest in black or dark blue.

I could never cut my hair so short that when it was down it didn't touch my collar.
    First fight that someone gets ahold of that hair and you may change your mind. ;)

What ways are females allowed to put it up if their hair is shoulder length or longer?
    Usually...braid, bun; as long as it is professional and clean looking.
    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion."

Roger Dat is offline Doing my part Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Most departments I know have a no hair below the collar policy. I cant see the bra color being a problem, Im sure you will be wearing a t-shirt under your academy uniform.
    “Take you hands off the car, and I’ll make your birth certificate a worthless document." UNKNOWN

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Whatever you decide to wear, you're going to want to wear an undershirt under your vest. You don't want any part of the vest directly against your skin.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Cat_Doc is offline No Sugarcoating Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightzgrl View Post

First fight that someone gets ahold of that hair and you may change your mind. ;)
    Damn right. Where the head goes, the body goes. I know I am not the only person that will grab hair, beard, etc., and direct the head to the ground or an harder immovable object to take them out of the fight.

Right after I got out of the Air Force, I worked at the Arizona State Prison for a while waiting on a job offer with a P.D. It was invaluable experience watching how convicts, with very limited weapon access, get the fight over quick, mean and deadly. A lot of "normal" people do not think this way. There might be something to the theory that all cops should work a jail for a while before hitting the streets.

I carried this learning experience with me to the streets and it has kept me alive and fights fairly short in duration. I did, however, get some days off without pay once for what was determined to be “excessive and unnecessary force.” :mad:
    "No one is compelled to choose the profession of a police officer, but having chosen it, everyone is obligated to perform its duties and live up to the high standards of its requirements." ~ President Calvin Coolidge

“The nobility of policing demands the noblest of character.” ~ Dr. Stephen R. Covey

Quote Originally Posted by bluelightzgrl View Post

This is gonna get a bit personal (shutit peanut gallery!), but the bra aspect is really going to depend on you. I never have and never will wear a regular bra on duty. It gets in the way of the proper fit of body armor. Second, have you run in a regular bar?? Do you even want to? Me, personally, no f'in way! In the end it'll really depend on what you are more comfortable in but my suggestion is to invest in good sports bras (I prefer Under Armour).

As for the colors, on duty -if anyone is checking there is something seriously wrong! As for the academy, well color requirement could be a possibility, if so it is usually limited to white, black and dark blue. Depends on the school and the only time they would check is when they do room/locker inspections. My suggestion, see if you can find a female officer who is on the dept you are going to work for or one who went to the same acadmey you will be going to, ask her what the requirement was. But, my suggestion... in vest in black or dark blue.
    Thanks. And I totally agree about the bra thing as well. I play soccer and there is no way in hell I'd ever run with a regular bra on, very uncomfortable.
    And if color matters at the academy,I definately need to get some new ones. Mine right now are bright red and lime green. But my inner shopaholic is going to go buy all 3, black, white and navy blue. And I prefer underarmor too but thats pricey when you are my age, I lke nike just as much.

10. This ad will disappear if you login