Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    sweetheart111 is offline Junior Member sweetheart111 is on a distinguished road

Citation number not in the system???

Hi, I'm not here and I live in Atlanta, GA (in case it makes any difference ).

On September 29th I was pulled over by a police officer because I supposedly passed a school bus. I was surprised because I didn't see any school buses. I felt terrible about what happened not only because I had to deal with this horrible ticket (I never even speed!) but also because I felt bad about missing the bus and potentially putting those kids in danger. But that's not the point of my posting.

I called the number on my citation (the court number the officer circled for me) yesterday to find out how much my fine will be. It was an automatic system. When I put in my info I was told that my citation number was not in the system. I called back twice. It's been over a month. What do you think does that mean and what should I do? My court date is 12/17.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Have you called the police department that issued you the ticket to see if they have that information in their records?

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

Not yet. Should I ask to speak to that particular officer?

I was wondering... if they made a mistake (the officer or the court) - are they going to fix it when I call or is the case going to be dismissed because of the mistake??

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetheart111 View Post
    That particular officer might be off, might be working another shift, might not remember your ticket from others he's given, etc. Makes more sense to call the main number and ask to be transferred to their Records Division, where that information would be retained.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

I'll definitely do that. The number I called was the court I am supposed to go to in December.
    What do you think could have happened though?

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

I was wondering... if they made a mistake (the officer or the court) - are they going to fix it when I call or is the case going to be dismissed because of the mistake??
    if there's an error on the summons, then it may either be amended at court, or it may be dismissed.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    if there's an error on the summons, then it may either be amended at court, or it may be dismissed.
    What happens if the citation number is still not in the system on the court date and I show up there ?

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    What happens if the citation number is still not in the system on the court date and I show up there ?
    Then a warrant isn't issued for you missing the court date.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

I understand that I have to go regardless - and I definitely would. I'm too chicken to even consider doing anything that might be illegal. I was wondering about the procedure. Never been to court before. If they don't have me in the system - will they even know I'm there???

shugs is offline Veteran Member shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Where I am citations are not stored by the number. The clerk looks you up by name. Go online and try to find a diffrent # where you can talk to a person, OR go down to the court house in person with your copy of the ticket. If the officer who stopped you serves more than one county he/she may have simply written the wrong number but forwarded the ticket to the correct court.
    You could always call the officer but keep in mind you will almost always have to leave a message and depending on his schedule it could be some time before he gets back to you. No one at my department would be able to give you any information based on the #, but that's just here. That department may be able to assist you. Good luck..

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Curious....you supposedly passed a school bus which you said you didn't see...so was their a bus present or not ?

How does one miss a large yellow bus anyway ?
    Creeper Cop

Quote Originally Posted by mcsap View Post
    Curious....you supposedly passed a school bus which you said you didn't see...so was their a bus present or not ?

How does one miss a large yellow bus anyway ?

Well, I'm not quite sure what happened. When he first told me I passed a school bus I was shocked because neither I nor my friend that was with me in the car saw a school bus (or any bus for that matter). She told me where the bus usually stops and it seems like I didn't actually physically pass it. I was coming out of the neighborhood and the bus was parked to my right (I still don't know how I could have overlooked it since I looked to the left AND right before I took a turn) - and I turned left, so I never really passed it. I don't know if that's still considered passing it though. Since I came out behind the bus...:cool:

I just thought of something else:

First I thought the cop might have thought I was driving on the side of the road that I look a left turn into - he might have no noticed that I actually came out of a neighborhood and only turned into that side of the road (without passing the bus). THEN I remembered that I saw other cars driving in both directions and none of them stopped for the bus - so that's why I'm so confused about the bus being there OR that it's light were flashing. If they were - why didn't the other cars stop?

I have a question for you guys:

I spoke with a lawyer today and I consider hiring him to fight the ticket because I really think it was a misunderstanding but it IS a lot of money and I'm not sure I'm ready to take the risk of paying for the lawyer AND the ticket :(

I was thinking about calling that police officer (or going over to the station) and trying to talk to him to at least find out where the bus was and maybe try talking him into cooperating with me. Bad idea?

15. This ad will disappear if you login