Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    sinned96 is offline Junior Member sinned96 is on a distinguished road

Is it illegal to honk your horn in front of a house to signal someone..........

.........to come outside in Texas
    I know in California it is illegal. Because a horn is a warning device not a signaling device. Its to warn other drivers to avoid an accident.
    I have a neighbor that has lots of people coming to their house and honking the horn at least 5 times a day.

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    If you're dating my daughter, using the horn in front of my house to signal someone is not only illegal, it warrants the death penalty.

In Virginia:
    46.2-1060. Illegal sirens, whistles, etc.; unlawful use of warning devices; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use on any vehicle any siren or exhaust, compression or spark plug whistle, or horn except as may be authorized in this title. It shall be unlawful for any vehicle operated on a public highway to be equipped with any warning device that is not of a type that has been approved by the Superintendent. It shall further be unlawful for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonably loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device. However, vehicles of common carriers or extraordinarily large and heavy vehicles may be equipped with such type of warning device as the Superintendent may require or permit.

Notwithstanding the provisions of this article, a siren, bell, or supplemental horn may be used on a vehicle as a noisemaker for an alarm system if the device is installed so as to prohibit actuation of the system by the driver while the vehicle is in motion.

(Code 1950, 46-290; 1958, c. 541, 46.1-284; 1962, c. 146; 1970, c. 283; 1989, c. 727.)
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned96 View Post
    I know in California it is illegal. Because a horn is a warning device not a signaling device. Its to warn other drivers to avoid an accident.
    I have a neighbor that has lots of people coming to their house and honking the horn at least 5 times a day.
    Texas Transportation Code
    547.501. AUDIBLE WARNING DEVICES. (a) A motor
    vehicle shall be equipped with a horn in good working condition that
    emits a sound audible under normal conditions at a distance of at
    least 200 feet.
    (b) A vehicle may not be equipped with and a person may not
    use on a vehicle a siren, whistle, or bell unless the vehicle is:
    (1) a commercial vehicle that is equipped with a theft
    alarm signal device arranged so that the device cannot be used as an
    ordinary warning signal; or
    (2) an authorized emergency vehicle that is equipped
    with a siren, whistle, or bell that complies with Section 547.702.
    (c) A motor vehicle operator shall use a horn to provide
    audible warning only when necessary to insure safe operation.

(d) A warning device, including a horn, may not emit an
    unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Thanks for your replies. My local law enforcement officer has called me back and he confirms that it is illegal to honk the horn in that situtation. But before he can issue a citation he has to catch them in the act. He say he will talk to them and see if he can get them to stop. I hate to be "That" kind of neighbor but 5 times a day or more is a little excessive

TX-LEO is offline Some Call me JR TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Yes, it is. It's called improper use of HORN. Horns are for use on the roadway to signal to other vehicles during a near collision or such thing. It's NOT to be annoying in a residential area.

I'll cite you for it too if you use it in this manner.
    "I'd rather hunt with VP Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

BP348 is offline always trust your dog BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    But before he can issue a citation he has to catch them in the act.
    Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. What's he going to do stand outside of your house all day waiting for someone to honk at the neighbors? :rolleyes:

Honestly what are the chances of this officer driving by your house at the exact time that someone honks next door?

Quote Originally Posted by BP348 View Post
    Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. What's he going to do stand outside of your house all day waiting for someone to honk at the neighbors? :rolleyes:

Honestly what are the chances of this officer driving by your house at the exact time that someone honks next door?
    Well I live in a small town of 2000. So not much else for the cop to do . They honk at least five times a day at certain times. I'm sure the cop could catch them doing it when they come to pick up the dad or kids for work and school in the morning. The officer said for me to write down the times they honk for a couple days and he would look for a pattern and catch them that way.

8. This ad will disappear if you login