Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    bballsfinest19 is offline Junior Member bballsfinest19

Question I have a misdemeanor, can I still be a police officer

I'm 23 now, and I'm very interested in becoming a police officer in California. When I was younger at 18 years of age I did a very irresponsible and stupid thing. I tried buying alcohol with my friends False ID. I was then arrested and given notice to appear in court which I did not attend, and ended up being arrested for a warrant. Now I have a misdemeanor for false Idenification and a misdemeanor for a warrant. I really regret what I did, I'm not that type of person to break the law I just hung around bad friends at that time. Since then I've done alot of community service and really enjoyed giving back to the community. I've also attended the police academy and now P.O.S.T. certified. I really want to become a police officer, and I'm really afraid now I will not because of my past history.

My Question is......Will my past disqualify me in becoming a police officer in CA?

And what can I do at this point if I still want to pursue a career in Law Enforcement?

Any iformation would help me I would gladly appreciate any input you might have.

danah is offline Veteran Member danah
    you should have met with a recruiter, or thought about this before you attended a police academy.

in california, most departments review misdemeanors (besides DV i believe) on a case by case bases. but you are saying you have two misdemeanors which is not a good thing. the fact that you didn't go to court is really not a good thing. i wouldn't say that this will automatically dq you from all departments but when the competition gets fierce a clean background will win usually. the best thing is you have 5 years since it happened.

if you don't get hired as a LEO, and want to stay in law enforcement you might be able to be dispatcher. some departments and evidence techs. i don't know if your background will be as important to get those jobs, but it might.

give it a shot. good luck.

bballsfinest19 is offline Junior Member bballsfinest19
    I played Minor League Baseball....should I also list that on my application for work history...I was paid?

Jynkxxie Guest
    Well were you paid or weren't you? The ? kinda makes that a question.

I think they do have a section for extra curriclular...outside of work...outside of school activites too. At least the apps I filled out did.

I can't speak for California, but if you distance yourself sometimes from previous behavior, it has been known to re-open a few doors.

rdp
    rdp is offline Veteran Member rdp has a reputation beyond repute rdp has a reputation beyond repute rdp has a reputation beyond repute rdp has a reputation beyond repute rdp has a reputation beyond repute rdp has a reputation beyond repute rdp has a reputation beyond repute rdp has a reputation beyond repute rdp has a reputation beyond repute rdp has a reputation beyond repute rdp has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    It has only been a few yrs since your arrest. You need to show soem serious steps in maturity.

You not only have to show how stupid you were at first for getting caught and then show why you were so dumb or immature as not to actually go to court. These are issues you need to be prepared to address.

Those arrests are not a typical automatic DQ, but they are definately a problem.

And you probably have more dirt than that, as we have all made mistakes.......remember, it is not what you were only caught for, but what other actsyou have committed.

Group9 is offline Hurricanes suck! Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    A misdemeanor is not necessarily a disqualifier. The type of charge and the circumstances will be examined in most agencies. For instance, even petty theft, being a crime showing dishonesty, wil probably disqualify you. Not all will. How do I know for sure? How do you think? (Malicious mischief, 6 months probation when I was 18.)
    I am now in my second Special Agent job and fourth law enforcement position.

7. This ad will disappear if you login