Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    Obesus is offline Junior Member Obesus is on a distinguished road

Smoked Tail lights, legal or not?

Hello. I am considering purchasing aftermarket tail lights for my 07 civic coupe. They are the exact style as the stock ones only they use led and are smoked (tinted). I was wondering the legality of these lights as I do not want to break the law (i never speed, etc). I live in pennsylvania if that makes a difference

I can't post complete urls since i am a new member but i'm sure you can figure the link out below
    genkituning com/product.php?pid=593

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    taillights have to be visible from a certain distance. Do they meet that distance?

NYS requirement...

3. if manufactured on or after January first, nineteen hundred
    fifty-two, at least two lighted lamps on the rear, one on each side,
    which lamps shall display a red light visible from the rear for a
    distance of at least one thousand feet;

So are these aftermarket tail lights visible from 1,000 feet? If not, then they're not legal.
    Last edited by phantasm; 04-29-08 at 10:35 AM.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

MP_Steve is offline Veteran Member MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    If you have to ask....

Chances are it's probably not legal. ;)

Check with the retailer and ask if the item is in compliance with state law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
    That being said, maybe they would last longer if I stopped getting them from the cemetery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey9019 View Post
    What Would Norm Do?

kels is offline RPs Official WARPIG kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Middle part of Kansas, just a few trees and not quite FLAT
    Just ask the seller to guarentee in WRITING the lights are street legal.
    Got a feeling you will find out real quick....................
    On a clear night, I can see the other deputies emergency lights at least 10 miles away.
    But it isnt flat here LOL

coucousis is offline Veteran Canadian Member coucousis has a reputation beyond repute coucousis has a reputation beyond repute coucousis has a reputation beyond repute coucousis has a reputation beyond repute coucousis has a reputation beyond repute coucousis has a reputation beyond repute coucousis has a reputation beyond repute coucousis has a reputation beyond repute coucousis has a reputation beyond repute coucousis has a reputation beyond repute coucousis has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Where I work it is illegal to apply any substances that will reduce the intensity of the original manufacturer tail lights.

Making virtually all of the cover illegal.
    I dont usually bother with this but should you end up attracting LEO attention for any reasons with your car... you are looking for a possible citation.

APDSarge is offline Armed Babysitter APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute APDSarge has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    They would be illegal in Florida.

There is probably something on the packaging that says either "for off road use only" or "for show use only".

While I don't go out of my way looking for that specific violation, if you did something that drew my attention that may just be one more deciding factor to stop you.
    This isn't Burger King, you are not going to get it your way.

drummer-eman is offline drums,cuffs and coffee drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute drummer-eman has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Illegal in PA. UNless it comes from the factory, its probably illegal.
    Here is a good website for a P.D. in PA. its got some good info

http://www.doylestownpa.org/police/html/askacop.htm
    "Det. Tim Bayliss: You never say please. You never say thank you.
    Det. Frank Pembleton: Please don't be an idiot. Thank you. "

" From the tracks on his arms, large caliber wound, proximity to a heroin market... I'd say it was a heated dispute about the symbolism of red and blue in 18th-century French romantic poetry"

Living on a lighted stage, approaches the unreal

8. This ad will disappear if you login