Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
    nismox04 is offline Junior Member nismox04 is on a distinguished road

Question Why do Officers touch the tail light when approching the vehicle??

Ive watched episodes of different police shows (speeders, cops, Disorderly conduct...etc) and I noticed when an officer approaches a car for a minor violation, they almost always touch the taillight.

Whats the purpose of this?

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by nismox04 View Post
    Ive watched episodes of different police shows (speeders, cops, Disorderly conduct...etc) and I noticed when an officer approaches a car for a minor violation, they almost always touch the taillight.

Whats the purpose of this?
    Thats need to know only. I could tell you, but then you know what I would have to do.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Quote Originally Posted by txinvestigator1 View Post
    Thats need to know only. I could tell you, but then you know what I would have to do.

Id take my chances! .....How about if I said that I was a HOT woman with free beer? Would you tell me then???? ;)

MP_Steve is offline Veteran Member MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    It's to see if I can ever so slightly make some attempt at damaging your tail light so then, and only then, will I have a real reason to have you pulled over in the first place. ;)
    Last edited by MP_Steve; 04-18-08 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
    That being said, maybe they would last longer if I stopped getting them from the cemetery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey9019 View Post
    What Would Norm Do?

Quote Originally Posted by MP_Steve View Post
    It's to see if I can ever so slightly make some attempt at damaging to your tail light so then, and only then, will I have a real reason to have you pulled over in the first place. ;)

Hahaha, I believe that one!!! :p;)

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Id take my chances! .....How about if I said that I was a HOT woman with free beer? Would you tell me then???? ;)
    I'd take your beer, then still eliminate you. Nothing personal, but its in the code.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Whitebear is offline Veteran Member Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute Whitebear has a reputation beyond repute
    Dont try to get an answer about police tactics in a public forum you wont get an answer sorry!...... anyway do a search the question have been asked 10 000 times
    1. If you have a good case, try to compromise; if you have a bad one, take it to court!

2. Wait until it is night before saying it has been a fine day!

3. Whatever accomplishment you boast of in the world, there is someone better than you.

4. Walter or a Glock always beat four aces

5. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

6. Know each other as if your were brothers; negotiate deals as if you were strangers to each other.

smcc360 is offline Puts the 'Duh' in DUSM smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    How about if I said that I was a HOT woman with free beer? Would you tell me then???? ;)
    You've convinced me.

There's a button back there that activates the passive transponder beacon factory-installed on every vehicle marketed in the US which was manufactured after 1992. This allows the vehicle to be found if the driver attempts to flee the scene in it.

It also advises the car's 'black box' that the vehicle was stopped by law-enforcement on that particular date/time. This is useful in any subsequent court proceedings.

This has all become pretty common knowledge, so I don't think there's any problem in discussing it in a public forum.

I'll PM you my mailing address; I like any brand except Pabst.
    "There is only one basic human right: the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty: the duty to take the consequences."
    -P. J. O'Rourke

RT302 is offline Veteran Member RT302 has a reputation beyond repute RT302 has a reputation beyond repute RT302 has a reputation beyond repute RT302 has a reputation beyond repute RT302 has a reputation beyond repute RT302 has a reputation beyond repute RT302 has a reputation beyond repute RT302 has a reputation beyond repute RT302 has a reputation beyond repute RT302 has a reputation beyond repute RT302 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I can only guess at (and can't wait for) the answers that are coming for this one;)

I was going to post something about wiping the french fry grease off my hand, but I think someone already used that one the last time this was asked:D

ParadeRest is offline enwhypeedee ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MP_Steve View Post
    It's to see if I can ever so slightly make some attempt at damaging your tail light so then, and only then, will I have a real reason to have you pulled over in the first place. ;)
    Sir, the reason I'm stopping you is for your left headlight is broken.

No it's not!

*expands ASP and takes a few swings*

You were saying?

cobravenom1 is offline GOOD2GO cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute cobravenom1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO

I like to touch rear-ends of anything that is female. Especially human females. I'll take a car too. They all have female like width.:D:rolleyes:

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Wasn't this question asked about a month or so ago?

http://forums.realpolice.net/showthread.php?t=76968 in february.

http://forums.realpolice.net/showthread.php?t=75913 in january.

Lock this AGAIN.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

JakeLock is offline Draggin' ***... JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    My mom always told me red things are hot, I take ever chance I can to prove her wrong.
    "The enemy of my enemy is probably still my enemy."

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    Wasn't this question asked about a month or so ago?

http://forums.realpolice.net/showthread.php?t=76968 in february.

http://forums.realpolice.net/showthread.php?t=75913 in january.

Lock this AGAIN.
    Agreed.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

15. This ad will disappear if you login