Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    police_academy_student is offline Junior Member police_academy_student is on a distinguished road

Examples of Police Subculture

Ladies & Gentlemen - I am a student at a private police academy. As part of our Ethics & Accountabilty course, I am writing an essay about the pros and cons of the Police Subculture. I would very much appreciate any real-life (good or bad) examples of how this has impacted on you as a real law enforcement officer.

Thanks in advance.

Curt581 is offline Wannabe AARP member Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    A private police academy?

So... for an ethics course, you're going to try to get others to do your research for you?

Now that I think about it... I object to being characterised as belonging to a "subculture".

Samuel is offline is out Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    First, what IS the "police subculture"???

Badgerboy is offline A toy...for me?????? Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    The first rule of Police Subculture is you do not talk about Police Subculture.

The second rule of Police Subculture is you do not talk about Police Subculture.
    EVOC- Cones die so you don't have to.

Big Sexy is offline Most Diabolical Poster Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerboy View Post

The second rule of Police Subculture is you do not talk about Police Subculture.
    Shhh, you're discussing the subculture of that thing we aren't supposed to talk about. ;)
    BIG SEXY says - "When life hands you lemons, take those same lemons & smash them into lifes' ugly *** mugg!! That'll learn'em to give you lemons."

Badgerboy is offline A toy...for me?????? Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute Badgerboy has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    Shhh, you're discussing the subculture of that thing we aren't supposed to talk about. ;)

For original poster, back on topic:

Pros: Cameradere, support, and mutual respect
    Cons: Diminished social perspective, tendancy to keep relationships "inside the circle" and badge bunnies.

Just off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Badgerboy; 09-22-07 at 11:47 PM.
    EVOC- Cones die so you don't have to.

Verified LEO

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Verified LEO

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

police_academy_student is offline Junior Member police_academy_student is on a distinguished road

Definition of Police Subculture

Here is my definition based on the research that I have done so far:

The police subculture (sometimes called police culture) is a feeling of brotherhood, or tremendous group loyalty that exists among (working level) law enforcement officers. An unwritten creed, it can lead officers to support their law enforcement brethren at the expense of all else. Responding immediately, and in strength to an ‘officer in distress’ call would be a positive result of this belonging. However, the strong emotions involved can also lead to a deadly over-reaction during that same call.

It can cause officers to believe that only fellow officers are able to understand them, sometimes to the exclusion of (previously) close family and friends. It can give officers the fantastic feeling of being a welcome member of the most exclusive club in the world. However, the headiness of that membership can also lead some officers to see themselves as above law.

Sometimes referred to as the ‘Blue Wall’ or the ‘Blue Curtain’ – the code of silence that is integral to the subculture is seen as a very positive thing within the brotherhood, and the opposite outside of it.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by police_academy_student View Post

The police subculture (sometimes called police culture) is a feeling of brotherhood, or tremendous group loyalty that exists among (working level) law enforcement officers. An unwritten creed, it can lead officers to support their law enforcement brethren at the expense of all else. Responding immediately, and in strength to an ‘officer in distress’ call would be a positive result of this belonging. However, the strong emotions involved can also lead to a deadly over-reaction during that same call.

It can cause officers to believe that only fellow officers are able to understand them, sometimes to the exclusion of (previously) close family and friends. It can give officers the fantastic feeling of being a welcome member of the most exclusive club in the world. However, the headiness of that membership can also lead some officers to see themselves as above law.

Sometimes referred to as the ‘Blue Wall’ or the ‘Blue Curtain’ – the code of silence that is integral to the subculture is seen as a very positive thing within the brotherhood, and the opposite outside of it.
    You were doing OK until you got to the ...strong emotions can lead to a deadly over-reaction... care to explain this ?

Our profession is only mirrored by those in the military. We are the " Army" of the streets of the USA. We are the ones getting killed out there by the bad guys, nobody else. We do believe that few truly understand our plight and our existence. What other profession has you dealing with the worst of the worst and than have to live in the same area for 20-25 years ??

Yes sometimes we do exclude family members, typically those who have been arrested or ticketed and learned ALL they know from TV and from their encounter with the police. They tend to badmouth us , our profession and we can do no right in their eyes. They are the " why aren't you out catching the robbers and the rapist?" ones.

Unfortunately, there are some bad cops in our profession. Not many but it does happen. Just like any other profession. It is not a fact I am proud of but when the assistant french fry maker at Burger Killer gets popped for DUI , it isn't an issue. Our lives ON and OFF duty are under scrutiny.

We know that we can depend on our brother officers in a time of need. They will respond to back us up in dangerous situations. They will run towards a gunfight, not away from one. Ours is a brotherhood with an exclusive membership which can only be earned. The average person CANNOT be relied upon to help us do our job.

We need to look out for ourselves because it has happened that nobody else will.

You do NOT know what it is like to have to use force or deadly force and than put up with the crap that is thrown at us for doing so. We are expected to be knights on white horses resucing the damsel in distress without a blemish or a scuff and without a lick of profanity or humanity thrown in.

I can truly say that your view of our profession is truly that of one on the outside unless and until you become one of us.
    Creeper Cop

serenityBlue is offline Veteran Member serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute serenityBlue has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

You can generalise about thousands of people this way?

Subculture would indicate that the way officers are, whether your definition is correct or not, is wrong. You want to come on an LE board and tell us we are sub something?

I don't "believe" that my fellow officers are the only ones that understand my job, i know. I work in a department that deals with paedophiles and have to view some disgusting and nasty stuff. Who else knows how that feels other than my colleagues? I never want my husband or kids know how it is.

Maybe when you call it a Police Subculture you are only talking about front line officers?

Why call it sub, when we are there for each other? I've been the one on the ground trying to keep the upper hand whilst listening to the sirens coming to me and i can tell you there is nothing better than that sound when you need it. I have also been the one in the car listening to my mates fighting to keep control as i swear at the car for not going any faster or the idiots that don't look in their mirrors and have their radios on too loud to hear me. It's not culture, it's a necessity to be able to rely on those you work with.

I'm not sure you will get what you are after here....
    If it wasn't for people, my job would be so much easier

Creeker is offline Man of La Mancha Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    LE is not "sub" anything. That terminology puts us on a par with the likes of Goths, Tweekers, Nerds, Car Salesmen, Street people, Educators, Street performers, skateboarders, Extreme sport-people, Liberals, Politicians and Police Chiefs... not necessarily in that order. :mad:

We are a "Super" culture and no one outside of it could possibly understand it... including your left leaning professor who termed us a "sub".

You get an "E" for Effort in our class... :rolleyes:
    My Inalienable Rights were given to me by God and NOT by the Government.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."- Patrick Henry

Cat_Doc is offline No Sugarcoating Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I know what this kid is trying to ask, but he/she is not articulating well, especially insinuating "it" exists amongst all "working level" law enforcement officers.

This error has caused the pointed responses as it is an insult to the ethical and highly professional officers who abhor Noble Cause Corruption and criminal behavior.

Additionally, we (if I may be so bold to include others) do not mind answering law enforcement related questions, but do not appreciate being asked to "provide" someone's homework for them.
    "No one is compelled to choose the profession of a police officer, but having chosen it, everyone is obligated to perform its duties and live up to the high standards of its requirements." ~ President Calvin Coolidge

“The nobility of policing demands the noblest of character.” ~ Dr. Stephen R. Covey

InTheEnd is offline Veteran Member InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    As part of our Ethics & Accountabilty course, I am writing an essay about the pros and cons of the Police Subculture. I would very much appreciate any real-life (good or bad) examples of how this has impacted on you as a real law enforcement officer.
    Thanks in advance.
    Pro: Camaraderie, Benefits (Agency Specific: 20 year retirement)
    Cons: Pay, working crazy hours, and the Govt, Media, dept and Public bashing cops for doing their jobs.

I have been thanked by people for my work at...(fill in event)
    I have been cursed at by people claiming that I ...( fill in incident)

We're not seen as individuals by a good percentage of the public. You can do your own stats and poll people if you want. People I know or meet have changed their tune after they find out what I do for a living. They're fascinated because it's not your average job. I would call police culture a clique as opposed to a subculture. I believe society is divided into cliques.

TX-LEO is offline Some Call me JR TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Ladies & Gentlemen - I am a student at a private police academy. As part of our Ethics & Accountabilty course, I am writing an essay about the pros and cons of the Police Subculture. I would very much appreciate any real-life (good or bad) examples of how this has impacted on you as a real law enforcement officer.

Thanks in advance.

I never had to write an essay about something which has nothing to do with police work, or even an essay period.

I really don't believe you are attending a police academy as your assignment makes no sense, other than a criminal justice COLLEGE CLASS. It would make sense for that course of study to make a cadet focus on, and elaborate on what they are making out to be a negative aspect of the job.

I have no idea what you are talking about, and would never consider myself or anyone else in the job as being part of a 'sub-culture'.
    "I'd rather hunt with VP Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

16. This ad will disappear if you login