Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Esteban99 is offline Junior Member Esteban99 is on a distinguished road

NYPD academy's mile and a half run

A man in my company has aced his exams , passed his JST and is a good candidate for PD. but he's over the required time in the mile.5 by only a few seconds. Has anyone ever heard of a cop getting on without passing the run? And how can a recruit get hired without passing the driving course while the man with a few seconds to make up in the run is not?

smcc360 is offline Puts the 'Duh' in DUSM smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    At the risk of sounding rude, which is not my intent: What do you care?

Take your own tests, run your own times, and walk your own post. The 'man in your company' must do the same.

If you want to help this man, tell him to move his *** with a purpose. The mutt he's chasing isn't going to care what he got on his writtens.
    "There is only one basic human right: the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty: the duty to take the consequences."
    -P. J. O'Rourke

lax854 is offline Veteran Member lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    if you cant run the mile and a half in the given time, do me a favor and just quit. It is not rude, it is not being me being a jerk, its simply the fact that perhaps youre not at the standards to be a police officer. As with many things in life, some of us are born rich and some are born athletes. For everyone else, you have to WORK at getting rich or work on becoming an athlete. If you cant do it, then you just aint working hard enough. THAT IS THE UGLY REALITY OF BEING A POLICE OFFICER

InTheEnd is offline Veteran Member InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Esteban99 View Post
    And how can a recruit get hired without passing the driving course while the man with a few seconds to make up in the run is not?
    You have until the end of your probation period to pass the driving course.

nypd7748 is offline I'm on the job kid nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute nypd7748 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    What is the time for the mile and a half these days?
    The New York City Police Department: a front row seat to the greatest show on earth

You can take the savage out of the jungle, but you can't take the jungle out of the savage

The job is dead kid

MetPC is offline Taw taves MetPC has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    If he's only missing it by a few seconds he needs to pull his thumb out of his a$$ and focus. It's an achievable objective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Nick Angel
    I can come back and I can bring the blue fury of the Metropolitan Police Service with me

lax854 is offline Veteran Member lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by nypd7748 View Post
    What is the time for the mile and a half these days?
    umm 1453 or something close to that. Come on, if you cant do that, im sorry, but dont even bother coming to my aide. The reason there are time limits because being active on this job is HUGE.

shugs is offline Veteran Member shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute shugs has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    To increase his speed he may want to increase his distance. 1.5 is NOT a long run by any means, he may have to work at it but it's doable. If he is not already able he should work on running 3 to 4 miles. Once he can run that distance easily, the 1.5 should be no problem as it is a shorter run he can run it faster.
    I am not and and have never been in NYPD but I am sure their academy, like many others, requires more than 1.5 on the daily runs anyway. May as well get used to it.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by shugs View Post
    To increase his speed he may want to increase his distance. 1.5 is NOT a long run by any means, he may have to work at it but it's doable. If he is not already able he should work on running 3 to 4 miles. Once he can run that distance easily, the 1.5 should be no problem as it is a shorter run he can run it faster.
    I am not and and have never been in NYPD but I am sure their academy, like many others, requires more than 1.5 on the daily runs anyway. May as well get used to it.
    umm you really havent been in the nypd. You can drop out and really have no repercusions except return roll call...wooooo woooo a whole a10 mins extra you gotta stay.

InTheEnd is offline Veteran Member InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute InTheEnd has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lax854 View Post
    umm you really havent been in the nypd. You can drop out and really have no repercusions except return roll call...wooooo woooo a whole a10 mins extra you gotta stay.
    Those 10-15mins for night tour means missing a train and longer commute time to get home.

Run dropouts run at their own pace and sometimes are instructed to do pushups or stairs. Nobody stops. The ones that do usually end up in the hospital across the street.

Taxx is offline <--This Guy, B!tch Cuffed Taxx has a reputation beyond repute Taxx has a reputation beyond repute Taxx has a reputation beyond repute Taxx has a reputation beyond repute Taxx has a reputation beyond repute Taxx has a reputation beyond repute Taxx has a reputation beyond repute Taxx has a reputation beyond repute Taxx has a reputation beyond repute Taxx has a reputation beyond repute Taxx has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I still think they should raise the time. Give everyone 20 minutes to run the mile and half. Hell, let's make it a mile. Sorry for the sarcasm, but there are many departments that require even a shorter amount of time. There are probably some that allow for a greater amount of time. If they allow a few seconds for someone that didn't qualify, then who's to say they don't shave some points on a written exam or psyche exam. The standards are there for a reason and they have to be upheld.
    Integrity is doing the right thing even when people aren't looking.

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    3 years ago a 21-25 year old had to do it in 12:18. Almost 15 minutes is embarassing.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

vengeance05 is offline Veteran Member vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute vengeance05 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

To my knowledge the 1.5 mile run standard was 12:18 (50th percentile for men age 20-29) and went down to 14:21 (20th percentile). Now you don't even need to do a 1.5 mile run, just do the JST obstacle course in 4:28. :eek:

The "standards" are extremely low. If you can't pass you should NOT be a cop.
    "Who wants a moustache ride?"

ParadeRest is offline enwhypeedee ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute ParadeRest has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    To my knowledge the 1.5 mile run standard was 12:18 (50th percentile for men age 20-29) and went down to 14:21 (20th percentile). Now you don't even need to do a 1.5 mile run, just do the JST obstacle course in 4:28. :eek:

I was under the impression the run is back.

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post

It was definitely not up to age 29 for the 12:18. I was 26, but had to do it in 12:51. I think up to 25 was the 12:18, then 26-29 was 12:51. I did it in under 12 anyway.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

16. This ad will disappear if you login