Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    TSR6 is offline Junior Member TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute

Cell phone death threats - how to handle?

Howdy,

I'm back yet one more time!

My best friend ended up getting what she & I both consider to be a death threat on her cell phone.

In the past month, she's gotten a couple random, "blocked" or "Private Caller" prank calls of people making sounds like they are jerking off, and other random harrassing phone calls. None of them were a big deal, and she just shrugged them off as some of her guy friends messing around with her.

Then sometime within the past day or two ( I haven't gotten the whole story yet, I'm meeting up with her in about 10minutes ) - someone called and left the message "(her first and last name) must die." This really bothers her, as she's always the nice person to let stuff like this blow over, but she's actually bothered by this. Even more so that a guy she dated previously ended up being killed ( in another state ) just last night - which even made CNN. :(

We're going down to the local police station here in about 10 minutes to file a report, and see if they can trace back who called - even though they had their number blocked.

I'm just looking for any tips of what she should do, and how the local ( small town ) PD should handle this to make sure it's handled properly.

Thanks for any help!

P01IC3M4N is offline Texian P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    wouldn't it be easier to just report it, than ask on the internet if you should report it? :confused:

cntryboy0531 is offline You can't 30DF that.... cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Call your local police department or sheriff's office. Your state may have a Harrassing phone call's statute, like Florida does.
    "I would rather my boss give me a butt kicking for being over the top than a eulogy for not being thorough!" ~~~~~ Aussie George

"It's an American police station. Guns are easier to find than a working stapler." ~~~~~ smcc366

Bearcat06 is offline Banned Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Ummmm....go to the Cellphone provider and change the number....

deputywave is offline Got TP!? deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute deputywave has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TSR6
    My best friend ended up getting what she & I both consider to be a death threat on her cell phone. We're going down to the local police station here in about 10 minutes to file a report.
    Good Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TSR6
    I'm just looking for any tips of what she should do.
    That's a good question for your local PD. Are you there yet?:D
    A nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat

Rise up, gather round. Rock this place to the ground.
    Burn it up with our fave, Rock-N-Roll with deputywave
    Rock On!

Vehicle Owner: (Goes to shake my hand)
    Me: No offense, I don't shake hands.
    Passenger: That's right. You don't shake hands with a person wearing gloves. It's a German thing. He looks German.

TSR6 is offline Junior Member TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute TSR6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Yeah, I understand the last couple of posts "you should be there reporting it now" ect...ect..

She called me looking for advice since we're best friends. I told her that I thought she should go to the cops and let them sort it out. The other phone calls were pretty much harmless, no big deal - but threatening against someone's life is NOT cool at all - and I thought it needed to be looked into. She agreed, and then wanted me to go to the station with her. I posted on here while I was waiting for her to get out of the shower. Women - can't go anywhere without the hair and make-up.:rolleyes: Thats why I said I was going to the station with her in like 10 minutes. It only takes her 45 minutes to shower and get out the door... :eek: whatever makes her happy.

Anyways... so we got to the local station. They agreed that this was serious, but said that we would have to go to the cell phone company and not them to get the number. They said that they wouldn't be able to look into it until we got the phone # from the cell phone company - but that they could write a report if the phone company absolutely needed it.

We then went over to the cell company's local store, chatted with them, and they said that there was nothing that they could do from their location - but they gave us the number and the procedures to report this to the cell phone provider's corp. offices, and that we would need a police report to have the cell provider give out the private number.

This is where I left off, as I had an appointment at the dealership with my truck. She was going to head back to the police station to have them do the report to give to the cell phone provider. I'll post more if I talk to her tonight.

OK, I just talked to her, and she did end up getting a police report on it. Unfortunately the local police department basically blew her off and told her to just get a new phone number.

They said that even if she did get the blocked number from US Cellular that she would just be wasting both their time and her time by looking into it since they said they have no way of prooving who actually used the phone at the time of the death threat phone call. She's still going to fax everything into the cell phone provider ( they require a full police report to release the number ) - so she'll find out who it is, but the police department wanted nothing else to do with it.

Hop
    Hop is offline Stupervisor Hop has a reputation beyond repute Hop has a reputation beyond repute Hop has a reputation beyond repute Hop has a reputation beyond repute Hop has a reputation beyond repute Hop has a reputation beyond repute Hop has a reputation beyond repute Hop has a reputation beyond repute Hop has a reputation beyond repute Hop has a reputation beyond repute Hop has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    But if it continues to be on ongoing problem, there is a report. Did they actually "blow her off" or tell her exactly what would most likely happen after a single call. After an on-going course of harassing phone calls it becomes a little easier to prove the criminal elements of the crime.

Sometimes it is frustrating because there is so much of this going on, but remember if it continues, a squeaky wheel gets grease;)
    Last edited by Hop; 07-18-06 at 09:33 PM.

Legoate is offline Avatar Stolen Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat06
    Ummmm....go to the Cellphone provider and change the number....
    Geez Bearcat that's a dumb idea...then how would people call her and make death threats?:eek:
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightshooter
    Your selective outrage is hypocritical. Don't you have an anti-war rally to attend where you can go burn some American flags with your hippie buddies?

10. This ad will disappear if you login