Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    xihua is offline Banned xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts

Door to Door Solicitation Laws

Hey everyone. I'm currently visiting my parents right now and for some reason today, we have gotten non stop solicitation from annoying salesman at our door. I've tried closing the door on this one lady, but she placed her foot on the door and tried to convince me to buy a kirby vacum cleaner from her. Do you guys know if there are any laws prohibiting such harassment? I heard in Texas that solicitors need to notify residents 3 days advance before coming to your door. Thanks yall

P01IC3M4N is offline Texian P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    in Texas, you're supposed to have a gun for those instances when people place their foot in the door.

most cities have ordinances that require permits to be obtained before someone can solicit within the city limits. there is no state legislation though.

Piggy is offline Trained Assassin Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I don't know about Texas law but I absolutely hate those friggin Kirby people. When I used to work for a small agency, I would get non-stop complaints about them everytime they came to town. I got to the point where I would just sit outside the house where they would go. I wasn't very good for business so they would finally move on.
    One Big Ass Mistake America

P01IC3M4N is offline Texian P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggy
    I don't know about Texas law but I absolutely hate those friggin Kirby people. When I used to work for a small agency, I would get non-stop complaints about them everytime they came to town. I got to the point where I would just sit outside the house where they would go. I wasn't very good for business so they would finally move on.
    and who hasn't dealt with the bus load of ex-cons selling magazines? that's a free arrest right there.

xihua is offline Banned xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts xihua is infamous around these parts
    I guess I will call the city and see if they have any ordinance on Monday. But if it happens again, I'll be sure to sic my dog Chow-Chow on them. Ferocious beast I must say haha.

The worst salesperson I've ever gottten was a man trying to sell porkchops and bacon from his truck. I gotta say, he just wouldnt stop talking and at the end he just gave me this look and yelled at me. Seriously, do you think were going to buy meat from your broken down pickup truck with an old fridge installed in the back of the truck?

Twelve Volt Man is offline Veteran Member Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute Twelve Volt Man has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by xihua
    I've tried closing the door on this one lady, but she placed her foot on the door and tried to convince me to buy a kirby vacum cleaner from her.

That's when a well-placed punch to her ovary is in order.

CTUCop is offline Veteran Member CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Print a "No Soliciting" sign and post it by your door.

Something along the lines of:

No Soliciting

Pursuant to [your state's trespass law/statute],
    this property is posted as a "No Soliciting" area.
    Solicitors are forbidden.
    Soliciting is forbidden.

Solicitors are defined as:
    Any person selling any product;
    Any person campaigning for any political candidate or political purposes;
    Any person involved in any reglious activities;
    [Add whatever else irks you]

Any persons violating this notice will be prosecuted under the penalties set forth in [repeat your state law/statute for trespass inculing statute number]

It helps keep the riff-raff away. And if it really bothers you, you can even call the police and have the person cited. Contrary to popular belief, your house is private property and people don't have the right to come to your door.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

Liberty is a well armed lamb.

Ben Franklin

CTUCop is offline Veteran Member CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute CTUCop has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    At least, it works in CT since our trespass statutes actually say:

Sec. 53a-109. Criminal trespass in the third degree: Class C misdemeanor. (a) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the third degree when, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so: (1) He enters or remains in premises which are posted in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, or fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, or which belong to the state and are appurtenant to any state institution; or (2) he enters or remains in any premises for the purpose of hunting, trapping or fishing.

(b) Criminal trespass in the third degree is a class C misdemeanor.

And the courts will up-hold the arrest. I know. :D

Ben Franklin

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    if someone sticks their foot in my door, and it's a stranger, they may very quickly have a firearm pointed at them, or the door repeatedly slammed on their foot untli they leave. If they threaten lawsuit, I will press criminal charges, and will be able to articulate myself properly in my use of physical force to defend my property/dwelling.
    DONLON
    I mean, we're getting killed for these people and they don't even appreciate it. They think it's a big joke.

Interesting Info

An education in debating

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Here if the solicitor pays the fee and gets the county permit they can solicit to any house in the county, regardless if there are no solicitation signs.
    Pittsburgh Pirates- 1st place NL Central 7/15/11

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

samseed101 is offline Veteran Member samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute samseed101 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Here, if you do not want someone on your property, they can be warned for "Criminal Trespass." If they violate the warning and return, they get arrested.

Edited: They can get permits to sell here, but even with a permit they have to obey the laws and any Criminal Trespass warning they receive. The permit just allows them to sell to people who allow them on their property.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz
    Here if the solicitor pays the fee and gets the county permit they can solicit to any house in the county, regardless if there are no solicitation signs.
    That sounds weird! I guess I'll rethink VA as a retirement area. :D

I'm not exactly anti-social, but as retirement gets closer, I'm leaning that way pretty hard! ;)

Ben Franklin

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I should clarify. That was my last post before realizing I was late getting ready for work. The permit trumps the "No Solicitation" signs neighborhoods put up (and boy does that really tick them off). However if you tell a salesperson to leave and they don't, it's still good old fashioned tresspassing, their permit doesn't let them get away with that.
    Pittsburgh Pirates- 1st place NL Central 7/15/11

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

Legoate is offline Avatar Stolen Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I find that solicitors, and mormons, lose their desire to talk to you if you answer the door naked with a gun in your hand.

Not sure why. (warning: Does not deter Johovah's Witnesses)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightshooter
    Your selective outrage is hypocritical. Don't you have an anti-war rally to attend where you can go burn some American flags with your hippie buddies?

16. This ad will disappear if you login