Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kowboy is offline Junior Member Kowboy is on a distinguished road

Best Duty Weapon?

Of all the different weapons out there...keeping the price under $1000, what would you say would be the best, most accurate out of the box, duty weapon?

Switchback is offline Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    The one tha you are most comfortable shooting. Try a bunch out and make that call for yourelf.

I have a Sig. I absolutely love it. I shoot it great. However, I prefer my Glock. I like the grip better (I have big hands). Many people hate the grip and trigger on Glocks. I also like the fact that lights (i.e., the M6 light) can slide on and off the weapon easily. With lights on the sig, usually you need an allen wrench. Then there is the simplicity of the Glock, no decock, etc. It comes down to personal preference. Both are very accurate (though I may give the edge to the Sig from a benchrest) and both are very reliable (giving the edge to a dirty Glock over a dirty Sig anyday!).

Most guns from reputable manufacturers should out shoot you. So, go for the ones that feel comfortable in your hand and the ones with which you shoot most accurately.
    We bring evil things to evil people, kicking in a door near you!

."In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But,
    in practice, there is."

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like
    an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig
    was'committed'."

-unknown

Working on a PhD in CQB one doorway at a time.

When the wolf attacks, he will find not all who run with the flock are sheep!

Charlie is offline Veteran Member Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Kowboy--I can only add to my agreement with Switchback's comments on this issue.

I would say that there are several quality, well-made weapons which are produced by reputable companies out there that a lot of LE personnel carry on and off duty. Most are fairly accurate right out-of-the-box too. BUT, it all boils down to personal preference and which ones someone can competently shoot with. People can tell you that brand "X" is the best or whatever but it really amounts to training, practice and what works best for you.

Incidently, you should also be cautious about modifications to your weapons as well. Some people, for example, modify a weapon's action or add some other accessory or detail to the weapon not originally performed at the factory. NOT all modifications are a bad thing per sey but there are some that MAY be problematic. Therefore, I would recommend that anyone should seriously limit any modifications to a weapon, (unless you are someone schooled in gunsmithing, or something similar to that, and KNOW what you are doing), beyond the original manufacturing process.;) Usually, changing the weaon's grip to something else from the original is OK.

Point is, modifying a weapon can create potential legal problems if the weapon is ever used in, for example, a critical incident.

I probably went slightly beyond the original question but thought it important to comment about this.

Just food for thought.....
    --
    Charlie
    "Good and evil are present in this world, and between the two there can be no compromise" - President George W. Bush, in his farewell address to the nation.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    My vote goes to the GLock. Great gun, takes abuse and missed cleanings and still works great.
    Creeper Cop

Swat1 is offline Veteran Member Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    The one I sell you! ;)

Swat1*

All kidding aside, Switchback hit the nail on the head. I prefer the Glock, however, you might not. Just stay with the big LE market companies and you will be fine i.e.

Glock

Sig Sauer

Heckler and Koch

Beretta

Smith and Wesson (although I have not been impressed with thier semi-autos. I would take a S&W revolver as a backup in a hearbeat)

There are more, but my mind fails me, it is Sunday after all.

Kowboy is offline Junior Member Kowboy is on a distinguished road
    anyone know anything about the walther p99? how does its accuracy compare up? Havent shot it yet, this week I will. 9mm? 40cal? what do u think?

Desert Eagle :D
    "Policemen are known as the 'finest' and firemen are known as the 'bravest'. We found out why this is true on September 11, 2001"

tommygenewoolworth Guest

GLOCK

To answer your question, GLOCK, officer simple to operate, ( this is important as most officers have trouble with complicated instructions, and lots of moving parts to reassemble).

GLOCK has very few moving parts ...... GLOCK is easy to disassemble and the GLOCK is easy to clean and assemble.

tomahawk134

P01IC3M4N is offline Texian P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    nothing says "i mean business" like a cocked and locked .colt 45.

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Originally posted by P01IC3M4N
    nothing says "i mean business" like a cocked and locked .colt 45.
    How about a Colt H-Bar in a sling? Or an M60?

:rolleyes:
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

modeler80 is offline Junior Member modeler80 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member L2
    anyone know anything about the walther p99? how does its accuracy compare up? Havent shot it yet, this week I will. 9mm? 40cal? what do u think?

I purchased a P99 .40 S&W about 6 months ago. Personally I love it, it's very comfortable. It also give different back straps to change the size of the grip. The magazine release is a bit different but with a little practice it actually gives me a quicker re-load time than the traditional (I use to have the 1911 style). I have put over 1000 rounds through it, I had 1 stove pipe and the old style magazines (orange follower) can accidentally push up the slide lock, but there are re-designed mags (dark blue follower) which eliminate the problem. It seems to hold it's own against the sigs, HK's and Glock as far as accuracy goes.
    You are limited to holsters available for it, Safariland has a few and Bianchi as well but the selection isn't as great as it would be for a more main stream gun.

deputy8723 is offline Junior Member deputy8723
    I agree with the others, GLOCK is the way to go.

My department issued me a Glock 22 40cal. I love it.

I am also thinking about getting me a Glock 23 for a back-up weapon.

Officer Moe is offline Banned Officer Moe
    Originally posted by deputy8723
    I agree with the others, GLOCK is the way to go.

My department issued me a Glock 22 40cal. I love it.

I am also thinking about getting me a Glock 23 for a back-up weapon.
    Late chimmer...Why do you want the 23 for back-up. Out of curiosity?

Switchback is offline Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I'd venture a guess that he does not like his finger hanging off the G26!
    We bring evil things to evil people, kicking in a door near you!

."In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But,
    in practice, there is."

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like
    an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig
    was'committed'."

-unknown

Working on a PhD in CQB one doorway at a time.

When the wolf attacks, he will find not all who run with the flock are sheep!

Officer Moe is offline Banned Officer Moe
    Originally posted by Switchback
    I'd venture a guess that he does not like his finger hanging off the G26!
    yeah...the subs have that problem. I had a dealer show me a mag extension but then he said why not just get the compact version...Only difference at that point would be a half inch of barrel.

Hey...I mentioned you in the SWAT oral board thread. Maybe you could help me out a little if you have the time. Its in the Gen Top I

16. This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast