Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4-way stop

Scruit is offline Veteran Member Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2

4-way stop

You approach a 4-way stop with three other vehicles already stopped at their respective stopsigns... After you stop, must you:

1) Wait until all threee vehicle that were already stopped have gone before you go

2) Ensure that you can complete your maneuver safely, before you go, but not necessarily wait until those three cars have all gone (ie the car that would have crossed your path is held up by another car)

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    In my state, 1.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

sorrel is offline Just for the heck of it. sorrel has a reputation beyond repute sorrel has a reputation beyond repute sorrel has a reputation beyond repute sorrel has a reputation beyond repute sorrel has a reputation beyond repute sorrel has a reputation beyond repute sorrel has a reputation beyond repute sorrel has a reputation beyond repute sorrel has a reputation beyond repute sorrel has a reputation beyond repute sorrel has a reputation beyond repute
    My state as well, cars have the right a way according to the first come first go rule....plus of course right side first.
    "I will not live for power, I will not live for pleasure, I will not surrender the responsibility for my life or my actions." John Powell- on the three temptations of Christ

"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more then standing in a garage makes you a car".

Stump is offline Banned Stump is just really nice Stump is just really nice Stump is just really nice Stump is just really nice
    What the heck is the "Right side"????? I asked this before, and never received an answer. Who/What determines which car is on the "right side"?

Anyway, #1, but if the person across from me is going straight, and so am I -- I am going when he does.

phuzz01 is offline Are you threatening me?? phuzz01 will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member L2
    It simply means that if multiple cars arrive at the same time, you must yield to the car to your right.

Stump is offline Banned Stump is just really nice Stump is just really nice Stump is just really nice Stump is just really nice
    Originally posted by phuzz01
    It simply means that if multiple cars arrive at the same time, you must yield to the car to your right.
    That is not "simple". Every car is on the other one's "right". That makes no sense to me (no offense to you personally, because everyone says what you do about that)

lusebucks is offline Junior Member lusebucks
    I have always been told that at a four-way stop the car to the left of you always has the right of way, if multiple cars arrive at the same time. Then again I live in a small city where traffic congestion really isn't a problem to begin with.

Scruit is offline Veteran Member Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    I've alwasy heard of yeilding to the right.

If a driver approaching from the south and driver approaching from the east both arrive at the 4-way stop at the same time (or so close that it's not clear who is next) then the driver from the east gets right of way. The south driver yielded to the east driver, who was on the south driver's rght side. The east driver had nobody on his right.

lusebucks is offline Junior Member lusebucks
    I personally hate four way stops. I have found that in small city's where congestion isn't a problem that 2 way stops will suffice. In large cities with congestion a four-way stop just bottlenecks traffic. Traffic signals have proven to be a better way of handling traffic flow in more congested areas then four-way stops, but then again traffic signlas are very expensive, and not nearly as cost effective as nailing a stop sign into the ground. But then again, not trying to ramble on here, traffic lights are often studied by the amount of cars that pass through a given intersection, or the number of cars in the future that will likely pass through a given intersection. So if too much traffic is having to go through a four-way stop, they should look at putting a signal in there.

phuzz01 is offline Are you threatening me?? phuzz01 will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member L2
    Originally posted by Stump
    That is not "simple". Every car is on the other one's "right". That makes no sense to me (no offense to you personally, because everyone says what you do about that)
    Sorry if I came across wrong before. I meant simple as in there is no further explanation or caveats, not simple as in you are stupid if it doesn't make sense to you. Anywho...

I think the chances of four cars arriving at the intersection at the exact same time are just about zilch. So, barring that, you should yield to the car on your right. If traffic is backed up in all directions (which is the one case where everyone is sitting there waiting with cars on both the left and right), then in my experience, I have found that it works best when cars take turns in twos (you and the car across from you go, then the two cars perpendicular, and so forth).

Anyway, sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Alex

Alex, I didn't take it that you were calling me stupid or simple.
    I just get frustrated with hearing that answer. It is not very clear.

Screw all that. I just TAKE the ROW.

537 is offline Junior Member 537

4 way stop

In my state, if you are the last one there, you are the last one to get to go.
    Let's make the question even more interesting. Assume all four vehicles get to their stop signs at the same time. As others have replied, the one on the right goes first. How do you determine who is on the right when everyone got there at the same time? In this case, it is the car on the north side of the intersection goes first, then the one on the right. Since the north car is now gone, the next one would be east side, then the south side, and west goes last.

allusivewolf is offline Senior Member allusivewolf is on a distinguished road
    As I have always been told, it is common courteousy (sp) to allow the car on the right to go before you do.

however if you deside that you are not going to comply with that no tickets would be issued, may be a finger or two.

it is just one of those unwritten laws,
    Every morning in Africa a lion awakes and knows that it must run faster than the fastest gazzel or it will starve. Every morning in Africa a gazzel awakes and knows that it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. The moral of the story is. No matter wheither you are the lion or the gazzel. That when the sun comes up your running..........

Re: 4 way stop

Originally posted by 537
    How do you determine who is on the right when everyone got there at the same time? In this case, it is the car on the north side of the intersection goes first, then the one on the right. Since the north car is now gone, the next one would be east side, then the south side, and west goes last.
    Easy, except for the people who don't know North from East.... Here, it is whoever shows the indication that they will be going thru the intersection (usually me :D) gets to go first, but I know that isn't really right.

Supporting Member L2
    In cases where other people have forgotten who goes next, one of us starts to roll out slowly and then it goes form there.

16. This ad will disappear if you login