Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RcRocka is offline Banned RcRocka is on a distinguished road

No Polygraph States

I just learned Michigan does not use the poly for emloyment purposes. I dont believe Montana uses it either. Correct me if im wrong. What other states do not use a polygraph for employment?

Thanks.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by RcRocka
    What other states do not use a polygraph for employment?
    Looking to withhold information in your background questionnaire? Just so you know, the polygraph isn't the only means of uncovering attempts to do so. Not accusing you here, but this is an awfully sketchy question to ask.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

Legoate is offline Avatar Stolen Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute Legoate has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I don't really know as I never planned on lying on my polygraph. I guess if I was a big fat fibber though, I'd figure out which states don't use a polygraph. As to the source of that information- ya got me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightshooter
    Your selective outrage is hypocritical. Don't you have an anti-war rally to attend where you can go burn some American flags with your hippie buddies?

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Thats a funny question.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

mobrien316 is offline Philosopher/Marksman mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ROS
    Looking to withhold information in your background questionnaire? Just so you know, the polygraph isn't the only means of uncovering attempts to do so. Not accusing you here, but this is an awfully sketchy question to ask.
    Now, Ryan… :rolleyes:

As you are well aware, many people do not believe in the validity of the polygraph as a tool to detect deception. Many people, myself included, have told the complete truth during a polygraph exam and still failed. Many people, again including myself, have later answered all the same questions in the same manner as before and passed the polygraph. In my case, it was even with the same examiner!

The problem of false positives in non-specific issue pre-employment screening is a very real one. It has never been adequately addressed by any pro-polygraph people, except in the vaguest possible fashion, which is to emphasize the guilty people who confess and simply downplay the truthful people who unfairly fail. In case anyone is wondering, and as you know from our correspondence, I have gotten some of my information from [***].

If I was applying today to become a police officer, knowing what I know about the polygraph, I would be likely to look for states which don’t rely on such an inaccurate method of determining truth or deception. That simply means I have no faith in the polygraph, not that I have crimes or indiscretions in my past I’d like to hide. In fact, I would welcome the most exhaustive, most complete background investigation possible in a heartbeat, rather than submit my employment possibilities to a machine that has been proven to be as accurate as random chance.

Assuming that someone who asks about states which don’t use the polygraph must be looking to withhold information on their background questionnaire is rather presumptuous and judgmental. Give the next kid a chance before you assume he's trying to hide something... ;)
    Last edited by ngcsubutterbar; 09-02-05 at 06:43 PM. Reason: only edited by a mod because the author couldn't. Jason doesn't want those type sites listed.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Fiat justitia, ruat coelum.

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316
    Now, Ryan…

Assuming that someone who asks about states which don’t use the polygraph must be looking to withhold information on their background questionnaire is rather presumptuous and judgmental. Give the next kid a chance before you assume he's trying to hide something...
    I am really getting tired of hearing people use the "judgemental and presumptious" argument when a sensitive item for THEM is hit. :rolleyes:

We are ALL, you included, presumptious and judgemental everyday. We all are just that way over different things.

You made a valid argument about the poly, and stated your facts well. Right up until you judged others for their disagreement. ;)

Peace
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

mobrien316 is offline Philosopher/Marksman mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by txinvestigator1
    I am really getting tired of hearing people use the "judgemental and presumptious" argument when a sensitive item for THEM is hit. :rolleyes:

We are ALL, you included, presumptious and judgemental everyday. We all are just that way over different things.

You made a valid argument about the poly, and stated your facts well. Right up until you judged others for their disagreement. ;)

Peace
    Point taken. I should have left that comment out.

My apologies, Ryan.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Fiat justitia, ruat coelum.

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    It can vary from dept to dept within a state. My old dept has never used the polygraph for employment purposes. I think that some smaller ones might though.

Frankly, I think it's bull**** to use one for hiring purposes. They're fine for criminal investigations, but only a limited degree there. If the courts don't buy into their reliablity, I don't understand why depts hold so much stock in them.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316
    Point taken. I should have left that comment out.

My apologies, Ryan.
    Don't sweat it, Mike ;)

You may be right, as the original poster may not have been asking for the reasons that I assumed, but the questions was suspicious, nonetheless. Without any information as to why it was asked, I think you'd agree that it isn't unreasonable for me to have drawn the conclusion I stated earlier.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

Terminator is offline Banned Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again....if the courts won't allow their results to be used against defendants in criminal court, then they should not be used to determine the truthfulness of a police officer candidate, in reguards to his background.

That's what we have background investigator's for. A good one doesn't need a polygraph.

Terminator is offline Banned Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    And count me in as one of the people who have had a bad experience with a polygraph. When you give an answer that you know is the truth, and the polygraph machine says otherwise, then it doesn't leave you with much faith in the damn thing.

My bad experience left the polygraph examiner believing I have smoked marijuana, and done cocaine. Neither of which is true. Luckily, background investigators (with some investigative skills AND common sense) for other departments I applied to were able to determine I have a great background. Imagine being told by a (N.C.) State Bureau of Investigation Agent (after he conducted your background) that you are the best cadidate for a police officer position he had seen in a long time. Now imgaine being told your a dope smoking crackhead by a polygraph machine just three weeks before that.

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    And count me in as one of the people who have had a bad experience with a polygraph. When you give an answer that you know is the truth, and the polygraph machine says otherwise, then it doesn't leave you with much faith in the damn thing.
    Not to mention that a sociopath can pass one hands down and lie through their teeth the whole time. We've never used one and we have no more problems with hirees than depts that use them.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

K-9MALY is offline Donja-ROD 6/2006 K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute K-9MALY has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I failed my polygraph with the SDSO. I showed deception by answering my own name as Joe. Well technically it is Joseph, so I was lying.
    The polygraph was not the toughest part of my BI, it was my interview with Sgt. Jay Tank. He was built like a tank too, talk about the inquisition. My Lt.'s interview was sort of awkward since the Lt. was cleaning his "I love Me" trophies behind me as I sat in front of his desk. I didn't know if I should turn to talk to him or not. I did look at him once, and he wasn't even listening to me. He even took a knock at the door and was talking to someone in the hall while I sat there. I was able to look at the papers on his desk and try reading them upside down, and thats when I saw my name next to several other peoples who were scheduled for the academy. It took a load off my shoulders since they don't tell you too much during the different stages of the BI.
    "Kid, I've sat on the department ****ter longer than you've been a cop." (CatDoc to Chevy SS, the single greatest post ever on RP!)

Moon Pies and RC Cola make me happy

RcRocka is offline Banned RcRocka is on a distinguished road
    Apologies for not explaing my question better. I am not looking to hide anything. I simply learned in class the other day that Michigan has legislation against local and state agencies using the poly for employment purposes. I was suprised by this and curious if this was common. Sorry if I came off like so many other people on these boards looking to get out of something. Thanks for the responses so far.

Ryan

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by RcRocka
    Apologies for not explaing my question better. I am not looking to hide anything. I simply learned in class the other day that Michigan has legislation against local and state agencies using the poly for employment purposes. I was suprised by this and curious if this was common. Sorry if I came off like so many other people on these boards looking to get out of something. Thanks for the responses so far.

Ryan

I don't think you came off like that, Ryan. Don't worry about it. Enjoy your stay here.

16. This ad will disappear if you login