Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CCW Badge why?

GMan26 is offline Retired... GMan26 will become famous soon enough GMan26 will become famous soon enough

CCW Badge why?

Another story from the range. I met a kid (who is very level headed) that had a CCW Badge. This thing looked like a real LE badge. Now here's the thing, it was on his belt "concealed" next to his gun. I asked him if he was a LEO and he said No sir I am not. I then asked if I could see the badge he was wearing and he took it off. It says, "Concealed Carry Weapons Permit" He was very embarassed (as he should be ;) ) but explained to me that it was legal. He told me that if there were ever a bad situation and things went down the toilet people would not point him out as the "bad guy". Also when LEO's show up they would be hesitant to target him first. He told me he is not a wanna be at all. And he got this badge off ebay.

My question to LEO's is this legal to use? I mean isn't this kind of impersonation of a LEO? He by no means was a wanna be (nice kid) but I wasn't sure what to make of this.

warlock is offline Assault crime not weapons warlock will become famous soon enough
    Well that certainly sounds questionable to me. I've never seen anyone with anything like that at the range I go to. I think you better tell him its more trouble than its worth to go around wearing a badge that ppl could mistake for LE.

Just bc its legal doesn't mean you should do it
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer too much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." Ann Landers

nick10-7 is offline Junior Member nick10-7
    Ive seen those CCW badges before. IMO they dont serve any purpose & would cause nothing but trouble. Just because you have a badge that says CCW permit, dosent mean you actually have a permit.
    -=Nick=-
    Post #2

Norm357 is offline I'm too sexy for my shirt Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Those badges are legal here in Ga but I THINK THAT THEY ARE STOOOOPID!!!
    I have a ccw and wouldnt think of having a badges if I wasnt an LEO.
    Norm

warlock is offline Assault crime not weapons warlock will become famous soon enough
    Yea I totally agree with you on that. The last thing I want to do as a CCW permit holder is draw attention to myself with some wannabecop badge. I don't buy the "not trying to imitate" excuse. LE should be the only ones wearing a badge, and your weapon should remain concealed at all times, so what good is a badge...if your gun isnt showing!!!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer too much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." Ann Landers

GMan26 is offline Retired... GMan26 will become famous soon enough GMan26 will become famous soon enough
    That's what i say but why do they even produce such things? Can anyone buy these? I don't understand it but next time I see that kid maybe i'll tell him he should think twice about carrying a ccw badge. maybe its a money making scheme (ccw badges)

99TAC is offline 780 x-ray 509 99TAC will become famous soon enough 99TAC will become famous soon enough
    I've seen them advertised before, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who hates these things. What if someone sees the badge and runs up to them asking for help thinking they're a cop. "Uh, sorry ma'am, I'm just a wanna-be who carries a gun" :rolleyes:

Stump is offline Banned Stump is just really nice Stump is just really nice Stump is just really nice Stump is just really nice
    I hate to wear my own badge let alone BUY one to wear!!!

I think as far as the impersonation thing goes - just having the badge in plain site wouldn't warrant a charge like that. If this kid takes the badge out and holds it in front of him like some cops do, or makes a statement like he is LEO, that would be definitely something to look into.

jonesg11 is offline Citizen of Hockeyland jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute jonesg11 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Just to give an opinion on the other side of the coin. In some instances I could see it being a good idea. Lets say you're wearing your gun under your coat or suit jacket and the wind or something happens to push your coat back momentarily exposing your gun. Having a badge there would alliviate a lot of peoples fears of it (the gun) belonging to some yahoo, thinking that the person is a leo. That is just one instance where it may be handy, but, like most have said its probably more harm than good, although there is some good.

nick10-7 is offline Junior Member nick10-7
    You could "what if" all day.....but i still they they are a terrible idea. If your gun is properly holstered & not stuffed in your pants or somthing....i probably wouldnt think twice about seeing it. As one of my buddies says....you keep yours holstered & so will I.
    Last edited by nick10-7; 01-23-03 at 11:26 PM.
    -=Nick=-
    Post #2

harper150 is offline Junior Member harper150
    It actually is a good idea for someone with a CCW to carry a badge indicating that. The reasoning is very rational. If he was in a situation were he had to draw is weapon, a cop would probably not target him or make a mistake if he saw a badge. In Georgia those badges are 100% legal, as long as it doesn't say police or indicate the bearer is a member of law enforcement.

navyfiveo is offline US Navy Master At Arms navyfiveo
    I can't speak for any other state, but in Virginia, those badges and many others are legal for use and display as long as they do not have the words LAW ENFORCEMENT, or POLICE anywhere on the badge and they also MUST NOT have the state Seal. I know a Security Officer that tried to get by the state seal thing by having STATE OF VIRGINIA rather than COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA. It didn't fly with the judge. $300.00 fine and 100 hours of community service.

As far as carrying a CCW Badge. If something goes down, your weapon should be concealed therefore the need for the badge is a hollow case. Once the Police Officer stops you because maybe he has seen the gun, let him get the cuffs on you and then he can check your permit. Bad guys manage to get CCW's sometimes too and ANYONE can buy those badges. Check the local Military Surplus Store.
    Master At Arms, First Class Petty Officer, United States Navy

WARHEADS ON FOREHEADS!!!!

Norm357 is offline I'm too sexy for my shirt Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Originally posted by harper150
    It actually is a good idea for someone with a CCW to carry a badge indicating that. The reasoning is very rational. If he was in a situation were he had to draw is weapon, a cop would probably not target him or make a mistake if he saw a badge. In Georgia those badges are 100% legal, as long as it doesn't say police or indicate the bearer is a member of law enforcement.

OK, as a person who is not an LEO but has been involved in two shootings since 2000 I still say the badges are a bad idea. Even though I was known to the responding officers they still proned me out on the second shooting. On the first I had a screwdriver in my stomach and I was on the ground already. In my own opinion if you are not in a uniform it dosnt matter if you are flashing a badge or not they are going to put you on the ground and find out what is going on.Thats just my .02 cents. Stay safe everyone. Norm

pat274 is offline Junior Member pat274
    The first time that kid walks into a 7-11 with a robbery in progress, he's likely to be an immediate target. I change my own oil, but I don't wear a "Mr Goodwrench" patch on my shirt...

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    The original post indicated that the badge was concealed next to the gun, only visible if the gun was visible.

This would not make him any more a target than anyone else.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

16. This ad will disappear if you login