Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    TaylorD is offline Junior Member TaylorD is on a distinguished road

Strobe light laws in different states? (DC and VA specifically)

My brother was an EMT in NJ and as such had blue/clear strobe on his car. He had the required permits for the strobe in NJ (but doesn't have a valid permit anymore)

. Now he's moved to VA/DC area and is no longer an EMT. What I am wondering is, are there similar regulations in DC/VA as there were in NJ (ie permits) The strobe is permanently mounted and will be a pain to take off, so what I am wondering is, is it ok to leave it in the car and never use it, or does he have to have it removed. (The strobe box is bolted to the dash)

Last thing I want to happen is him to get pulled over for something and get in some kind of trouble for having the strobe light....

Retired Trooper is offline Veteran Member Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Retired Trooper has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    He needs to lose the light ASAP. Im from SC but im sure it would be a violation of VA/DC law. Others from that area will chime in shortly.
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am than Loved for who I am not"

Piggy is offline Trained Assassin Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Unless he's active and has a permit, it will be illegal in most states. Penalties will vary.
    One Big Ass Mistake America

thats what i thought, ill let him know they have to go ASAP

Another question though, for DC Law - are you a metro police officer, or a VA police officer?

I ask only because you said if you "saw it in either jurisdiction" you would impound it, and I am wondering how you could do that in either jurisdiction.

(wish there was an edit feature so I didnt have to keep posting)

Talked to him, he said he is removing it, but interestingly enough, saw a VA Police Officer in a 7-11 and asked him - the VA officer said some Police might give him trouble but he didn't think there was anything technically illegal about it. Could have been a new cop, I have no idea...

Can anyone point me to the actual laws concerning strobe lights in DC and or VA? I have searched and come up empty.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

If its not a secret, and you don't mind asking, what federal agency is this? (I'm not questioning it, I am geniunely curious)

michiganstud is offline exhumed from the grave michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorD
    My brother was an EMT in NJ and as such had blue/clear strobe on his car. He had the required permits for the strobe in NJ (but doesn't have a valid permit anymore)

. Now he's moved to VA/DC area and is no longer an EMT. What I am wondering is, are there similar regulations in DC/VA as there were in NJ (ie permits) The strobe is permanently mounted and will be a pain to take off, so what I am wondering is, is it ok to leave it in the car and never use it, or does he have to have it removed. (The strobe box is bolted to the dash)

Last thing I want to happen is him to get pulled over for something and get in some kind of trouble for having the strobe light....

Which do you think is a worse pain............getting your car impounded and getting tickets............or removing the light?

You make the call.

"ching ching, pull it over buddy. You're under arrest...get in the basket." ~ Super Six 5

Quote Originally Posted by michiganstud
    Which do you think is a worse pain............getting your car impounded and getting tickets............or removing the light?

You make the call.
    I obviously agree with that, the real question was for edification of the actual laws, which still remain unclear to me.

BTW, he took the blue filters off a while ago (easy fix) and is having the strobe removed soon. From what I understand, clear strobes are legal to have, illegal to use. (Otherwise that Budweiser hummer is in big trouble)

Ranger__101 is offline Banned Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    It really comes down to the individual state where the vehicle is registered.

In some states it is not legal to equip a vehicle with any type of strobes not authorized by law.

In other states it is only illegal to use strobes or lights on public roads.

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorD
    If its not a secret, and you don't mind asking, what federal agency is this? (I'm not questioning it, I am geniunely curious)
    http://www.nps.gov/uspp/usppmain.htm
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

12. This ad will disappear if you login