Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    someguy is offline Junior Member someguy is on a distinguished road

Child Support Bench Warrant

My wife and I seperated quite a while ago and January I filed for Child Support. I have not received any and she missed two contempt hearings so they have now put a bench warrant out for her. How long does this mean she will be in jail?

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    That is entirely up to the judge.

Typically, they are locked up until they can be brought in fornt of the judge to explain why they failed to appear ( FTA) and a can be rescheduled for another hearing. After that , they are usually released. So maybe anywhere from a day to 3 or 4 days. This time.
    Creeper Cop

darrell is offline Banned darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold
    Depends on the state and how your counties judges view cases like that.

My county is way to laxed on child support hearings. The county north of me is really hard on child support. If you don't pay for 2 months you get a letter, warrant, court date and a officer at your door then you locked up for 60 days. Do it again then its at the max of 93 days. But you still have to pay support for the months your in jail as well as paying to be lodged in jail. You loose both ways there. All I can say in Sanilac County is pay or Bend Over.

dwf
    dwf is offline Veteran Member dwf has a reputation beyond repute dwf has a reputation beyond repute dwf has a reputation beyond repute dwf has a reputation beyond repute dwf has a reputation beyond repute dwf has a reputation beyond repute dwf has a reputation beyond repute dwf has a reputation beyond repute dwf has a reputation beyond repute dwf has a reputation beyond repute dwf has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    She'll be there until she can post bail, unless it is a no bail warrant. She could also be released on a personal recognizance bond after a hearing. A no-bail warrant is very unlikely for a child support warrant but, that is up to the judge. A no show for two contempt hearings is not a good way to impress judges, I would also guess that a P/R bond is unlikely. Call the issuing court and they may or may not tell you.
    Never be afraid to make a difference

someguy is offline Junior Member someguy is on a distinguished road
    I am in Westmoreland County PA. She doesn't have a job. She also didn't show up to either hearing because she forgot.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Judges don't accept forget as an excuse.
    Creeper Cop

7. This ad will disappear if you login