Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    Wemotonyaie is offline Junior Member Wemotonyaie is on a distinguished road

Florida Highway Patrol

Hello everyone,

I am 19 years old, graduating with my A.S. in december; starting my bachelors degree in january. I was planning on applying with FHP after speaking with an explorer advisor of mine solely to get experience in law enforcement before applying for a county or PD, yet, after speaking with a few FHP troopers, I have began to question my plan.

Every trooper I spoke to downed their job and said that they hated it, they also said to steer clear and go straight to the County or the PDs after I get certified for law enforcement. The troopers said the pay was terrible, they were overworked, and they just plain hated it and this all concerned me. Does anyone have any insight on whether to apply or not because the processing takes 14 months and the state pays for the academy so It would be good to start sooner than later. I have nothing but time at only 19 which is why I decided to go on with my bachelors degree but I would like to know if security would be a better job to pursue before launching my career in law enforcement.

Thank you all for your advice.

CPL1897 is online now SWAT/PATROL "STUPERVISOR" CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    A carreer in "security" will not help you get a job in LE, you would make more money and have better benefits flipping burgers at McD's in my opinion.

As for FHP, If you spoke to Troopers in South Florida then you may get the "unhappy" responses you mentioned.

Unfortunately for the first year or two after becoming a Trooper they send you south. But every Trooper I personally know and work with in NW Florida are all very satisfied with their jobs. They make decent money (a Trooper with my time in/15 years makes about $10k more than I do) they have new equipment and good benefits (state retirement system) also.

If you truly desire to go into LE then I suggest you apply at more than one agency (its very difficult to get hired and you will have better chances with multiple applications) and don't do it for the money alone.
    "TO PROTECT THE SHEEP FROM THE WOLVES, YOU HAVE TO THINK AND ACT LIKE A WOLF"

Thank you very much for your advice. I definitely plan on applying in many places mostly in the southern area of Florida yet FHP caught my eye when I saw that they paid for the academy. I know the money anywhere I start out at wont be spectacular but I will be more than happy with any job that I can land.

I plan on putting in my application with FHP a year before I graduate with my bachelors as the processing takes so long but if I do not get an offer there I will put myself through the academy and apply to the PD's and Sheriff offices in my area. It just really threw me off when I asked so many FHP troopers were so negative about their job but my academy track instructors did tell me that law enforcement is a job that can easily make a person bitter.

Thank you in advance.

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I was FHP......graduated and sent south.

After 6 months on the road I left for a few reasons:
    1) At the time management in my Troop was concerned about numbers and nothing else. One of my classmates was killed due to piss poor training and nobody gave a crap. I know its changed since then.

2) I dont speak fluent Spanish.

3) I have a real problem being in the United States of American and being approached by folks who resided here (not temporary visitors) and can't speak a lick of English and didn't care to try.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

cntryboy0531 is offline You can't 30DF that.... cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Coming from my interaction with Central Florida Troopers here is my list of their issues.

1) Compared to our standards, they make crap money. They make killer off duty hourly rates, but their base pay sucks. I make a little over $10k more than a starting trooper. They do NOT get raises unless they are given by the state legislature. They haven't had one in years.

2) Supervision is questionable and deeply concerned about numbers.

3) Depending on what county you get, you will be overworked.

4) Retention issues.

Most likely you will be sent to South Florida and living on even the slightly higher salary for a South Florida Trooper, is hard. They start at $38k. Broward, Miami Dade, and Palm Beach all start at much higher rates of pay. North Florida Troopers are usually happier as their is the population is much more sp**** and they are paid more than their local and county counterparts.

I actually recommend them to people starting out in law enforcement if you don't mind a stint in South Florida (or possibly Central Florida). Some recruits are sent to Orlando, but it's not as many that are sent south. They do pay the cost of the academy, and you get a salary and living arrangements and food while you are there. It's not a bad gig for starting. I do not recommend making a career with them though unless you want to promote. Even then, there are a lot of places in Central Florida where you can have a decent cost of living, and a rather nice salary.
    "I would rather my boss give me a butt kicking for being over the top than a eulogy for not being thorough!" ~~~~~ Aussie George

"It's an American police station. Guns are easier to find than a working stapler." ~~~~~ smcc366

Ok thank you all again. Now I have a little better view on why the troopers didn't speak too highly of their jobs. I am in southern Florida so If I did get hired I would have to live with the lesser pay but there are so many higher paying PD's and Counties around my area. Plus, the agency I am an explorer with is telling me that when I get my certification, they will at least offer me a auxiliary position. I am thinking that I will apply with FHP once I am half way done with my bachelors degree and try to worm my way into one of the higher paying counties. It definitely seems like a good way to get some experience and I heard that many agencies love to hire formed FHP troopers.

Thank you all again

7. This ad will disappear if you login