Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    citizen12 is offline Senior Member citizen12 is on a distinguished road

Temporary Tags: Real or Fake?

As a civilian, when I see someone driving around on a temporary tag allegedly issued by a car dealership, I always wonder if it's really a temporary tag issued by a car dealership, or if the driver just didn't have enough money to renew his tag at the time and drew up a fake, temporary tag himself.

As a police officer, how can you tell the difference?

Ispbear is offline Veteran Member Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Easy, If I think the tag looks out of place, I stop it and take a closer look at the paperwork.
    Excuse me Officer, I have a stupid Question. "No problem, I've got a stupid answer for you!"

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Our law says your plate must be able to be read at a reasonable distance. You can't usually read those things unless you are right on top of it and that is not reasonable.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

McNulty is offline Traffic/Motor Officer McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ispbear View Post
    Easy, If I think the tag looks out of place, I stop it and take a closer look at the paperwork.
    This, or I find any of a million different legal reasons to stop the car.

JR180 is offline Veteran Member JR180 has a reputation beyond repute JR180 has a reputation beyond repute JR180 has a reputation beyond repute JR180 has a reputation beyond repute JR180 has a reputation beyond repute JR180 has a reputation beyond repute JR180 has a reputation beyond repute JR180 has a reputation beyond repute JR180 has a reputation beyond repute JR180 has a reputation beyond repute JR180 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    If I cant read the tag I can stop the car and check it out. If the plate is faked the person goes to jail. If not they go on their way.

If I can read the plate and see a dealer number and date on it I will usually not stop it.

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I don't know if Colorado uses special paper for it, but they seem to fade really fast. So it's usually easy to spot an old one. No real way to spot an actual fake tag unless I stop them and they don't have the temp registration card.
    Pittsburgh Pirates- 1st place NL Central 7/15/11

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I never understood the logic behind putting something made of paper on the rear of a car where it is exposed to all of the elements. I think most expire after 30 days though.

scott715us is offline Sgt/DUI Inst/Juris Doctor scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    People in TN try to darken in the numbers to indicate a different month/day. You should see the look on their face when I take them into custody. Altering the numbers on a government-issued tag is a felony.

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Oregon's are pretty cheesy. They're about a 5" square piece of paper that's stuck to the inside of the left side of the rear window. The expiration date is hand written in big numbers with a black Mark-A-Lot though that's pretty hard to alter.

They used to issue "trip permits", temporary registrations to be used to transport a vehicle from one place to another only. Of course they were good for 90 days and it was constantly abused. I don't know when they quit issuing them, but I haven't seen any on the street in quite a few years. You used to always see them.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by retdetsgt View Post
    Oregon's are pretty cheesy. They're about a 5" square piece of paper that's stuck to the inside of the left side of the rear window. The expiration date is hand written in big numbers with a black Mark-A-Lot though that's pretty hard to alter.

They used to issue "trip permits", temporary registrations to be used to transport a vehicle from one place to another only. Of course they were good for 90 days and it was constantly abused. I don't know when they quit issuing them, but I haven't seen any on the street in quite a few years. You used to always see them.
    That's what I thought the OP was talking about, those "paper plates" as they call them that are good for like 30 days, usually issued when you buy a vehicle out of state. They are posted where a regular plate is posted. Our temporary registrations are also paper but posted on the inside of the back window. They also issue the regular plate so it's easy to verify if the paper one is BS. It's pretty pointless to try to alter those, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't try it.

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    About the only time they issue a temporary now is when you buy a new car. If you come from out of state, DMV gives you the new plates on the spot when you produce a valid registration from your former state. They do inspect the car to see if the VIN matches, etc. With a new car though, the dealer gives you the temporary that's good for 90 days, but you get your plates in less than two weeks, usually.

If a used car is sold and bought within Oregon, the plates stay on the car. You're not issued new plates.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

citizen12 is offline Senior Member citizen12 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackgoat06 View Post
    That's what I thought the OP was talking about, those "paper plates" as they call them that are good for like 30 days, usually issued when you buy a vehicle out of state. They are posted where a regular plate is posted. Our temporary registrations are also paper but posted on the inside of the back window. They also issue the regular plate so it's easy to verify if the paper one is BS. It's pretty pointless to try to alter those, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't try it.
    That is actually what I was talking about. I suppose I should have said "temporary plate" instead of temporary tag, but here in Georgia, whenever you buy a new car and they issue you the temp plate, they refer to it as a "temporary tag". Then, you have 30 days to register the car and buy a plate and tag for it. The large dealerships around here usually issue one that looks very similar to a real plate, but the small "Buy here, pay here" dealerships are well known for issuing them on cardboard or paper, which always seemed like it would arouse suspicion to me!

Thanks for all your replies, everyone. =)

Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    In Oregon, the dealer fills out the paper work on cars they sell and submit it all to DMV for you. Makes it easier and the vehicle is registered.

My Little Buddy

14. This ad will disappear if you login