Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tail Gateing

goodcopbadcop is offline Banned goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts

Tail gateing

A cop was tail gateing me the other night and I mean right on my bumper for about 4-5 blocks then finally flips his lights on so is it legal for him to do that and is it legal for him to run my license plates before pulling me over because he already know what town I was from before I gave him my DL
    Last edited by goodcopbadcop; 05-15-12 at 02:20 AM.

CPL1897 is online now SWAT/PATROL "STUPERVISOR" CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcopbadcop View Post
    A cop was tail gateing me the other night and I mean right on my bumper for about 4-5 blocks then finally flips his lights on so is it legal for him to do that and is it legal for him to run my license plates before pulling me over because he already know what town I was from before I gave him my DL
    Yes it is legal for us to follow closer than the average driver, sometimes we have to get close to read the tag, see what the driver is doing etc. And we can run tags all day long without probable cause. Some areas even have "automatic" plate readers in their cars so they are ran as the patrol car passes them etc. automatically. An example is the system the PA parking authority uses.

So the answer to your question(s) would be it is not illegal or "misconduct" for an Officer to follow you too closely (which is only your opinion) and your tags can be ran at any time for any reason.

So your not going to be able to get out of the ticket using the above as your defense.
    "TO PROTECT THE SHEEP FROM THE WOLVES, YOU HAVE TO THINK AND ACT LIKE A WOLF"

goodcopbadcop is offline Banned goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts goodcopbadcop is infamous around these parts
    Well its good to know just hope that I never have to slam on my breaks when they do that and good thing he just let me know that I couldnt have a sticker on my windshield I rated him GOOD COP

CPL1897 is online now SWAT/PATROL "STUPERVISOR" CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    At least he was pleasant and professional and you have a positive outlook on the encounter.

Slamming on brakes intentionally would be a bad idea, I am asuming you are speaking of in an emergency, example would be a tree in the road etc. Then he would have to justify why he could not safely stop without rear ending you. Also it sounds like he was possibly checking for the sticker etc. and had to be "right on you" to see what he was looking for. I am sure there was a legit reason for him following you so close making you uncomfortable. I don't know of any Officers who ride peoples tail just to do it, it is a safety issue. I am like most, I only do it when I am having trouble reading an expiration decal or the plate is in so bad shape you can not read it from a distance, or theres "strange activity/movement in the vehicle I have to get real close to figure out,"etc.

At least you only got a warning!
    "TO PROTECT THE SHEEP FROM THE WOLVES, YOU HAVE TO THINK AND ACT LIKE A WOLF"

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by goodcopbadcop View Post
    Well its good to know just hope that I never have to slam on my breaks when they do that and good thing he just let me know that I couldnt have a sticker on my windshield I rated him GOOD COP
    I'm sure he'll sleep much better knowing you gave him a good rating.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Sounds to me like he was riding that close to see for certain if it was a sticker on your windshield, since that's what you got a warning for.

And every US district court of appeals has ruled that it is legal to run plates without a reason to do so, since A) plates are put on your car for the sole purpose of identification, and B) you can't have an expectation of privacy for something that the state owns the records to. IE: the registration information is owned by the state, so you can't expect that law enforcement wouldn't be allowed to check records owned by the government.

But in your case it wouldn't matter since he had a reason to stop you.
    Pittsburgh Pirates- 1st place NL Central 7/15/11

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

TEXASCOP is offline Crime Fighter TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    The state of Texas decided to redesign the license plates. They Chose the most god awful looking and hardest to read. Now we have to get a lil closer to read someones plates.

scott715us is offline Sgt/DUI Inst/Juris Doctor scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Troll

Safety Steve is offline Respect All, Fear None Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXASCOP View Post
    The state of Texas decided to redesign the license plates. They Chose the most god awful looking and hardest to read. Now we have to get a lil closer to read someones plates.
    I second that. The red and blue color at the top of the plate acts as a camouflage to the numbers and letters at night. I'm sure an inmate designed it that way since all TX license plates are made in a prison in Huntsville TX.

Be Safe.
    "I'M WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE"

TEXASCOP is offline Crime Fighter TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety Steve View Post
    I second that. The red and blue color at the top of the plate acts as a camouflage to the numbers and letters at night. I'm sure an inmate designed it that way since all TX license plates are made in a prison in Huntsville TX.
    I wondered about where the new design came from and apparently they had a vote on the TXDMV web page. Somehow the current plate was the winner, see picture of the other choices. The one that was selected would have been one of my last choices. I like the one on the top left, could you imagine trying to read the one with the blue bonnets in the background.

plates.jpg
    Last edited by TEXASCOP; 05-20-12 at 11:04 PM.

11. This ad will disappear if you login