Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    Scream4Cheese is offline Junior Member Scream4Cheese is on a distinguished road

Will this disqualify me from become a NYPD Police Officer?

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I have been wondering for a while. In October of 2010, I was with my two friends at the 116 Street subway station heading downtown. If I can recall the time I would have to say it was about 11pm. The station that we entered in did not have a ticket clerk but it did have turnstiles and those revolving turnstiles.

The station was quiet and there wasn't a person in sight. My friends decided to jump the turnstile. Before we jumped it, I had a bad feeling inside me. I wanted to buy a fare but I foolishly did not.

When we jumped over to the other side, I saw a police officer appear out of nowhere and approached us. He asked us questions like why we didn't pay and such. He took our IDs and ran our records through dispatch and we came back clean. I have never been in trouble with the police and that night was the first time.

The officer was nice enough to just issue each of us $100 fine for "failure to lawfully pay and jumping over the turnstiles". We all paid the tickets within a month by mailing a money order to the MTA. We never told our parents and they still don't know about it. I was too ashamed to tell my mom.

I just started my senior year in high school and now I'm in college and when I look back at it. I find regret doing it and I should have listened to myself but what's done is done. I know it's not serious but it was a violation of my personal morals/virtues. (Don't laugh)

From the title of this thread, I want to know if I can get disqualified from becoming a police officer just from this incident. Will that be in my record?

McNulty is offline Traffic/Motor Officer McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute McNulty has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I have no experience with the NYPD, but I don't see it disqualifying you as long as you're up front about it. I'm sure the ticket/contact is in their records somewhere.

ET109 is offline Veteran Member ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    On the East Coast, shaking sand outta my boots...
    Disclose it and don't worry too much. As long as you weren't jumping it because you had just spent all your money on heroin and hookers, I doubt it's a deal-breaker.

Standard warning... try to make up for even a small screw-up. There are a lot of candidates, and all other things equal, they'll pick the one with the least poor choices. Luckily, things are never equal, so just make sure they are in your favor.

4. This ad will disappear if you login