Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    wayne90 is offline Junior Member wayne90 is on a distinguished road

Question Strongest mace or pepper spray ohio

Hello ladies and gentlmen

Im looking to purchase something for self defense since i work in a crime ridden area at night so i was wondering what is the strongest mace or pepper spray available to absolutely drop some one i want something that is guranteed to do the job is their such a thing im thinking bear mace might do it but im not sure.what are the strongest brands and best delivery methods out there?

Thanks guys

ET109 is offline Veteran Member ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    On the East Coast, shaking sand outta my boots...
    No, no pepper spray or mace is an absolute man-stopper. Police and correctional officers are exposed to law enforcement grade chemical sprays as part of their training, for example. It does not cause someone to 'drop'. A taser, if used properly, can have that effect.

Even bullets aren't guaranteed man-stoppers. Do you have access to a howitzer?

Gutwrench is offline Veteran Member Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute Gutwrench has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Hi Wayne,

I never found Mace (chem tear gas) or OC as guaranteed 'man stoppers'. OC is definitely more effective, but your best defense will always by your eyes, brain, and a plan.

My most effective use of OC was a time I was alone in no-man's-land on the ground fighting a guy whose eyes I had filled up with OC. I finally gained the upper hand once I "applied" the can directly to his head several times.

No i dont have access to a howitzer but i will look in to purchasing one,if you give me a little information on one,i have thought about a taser but they can be very expesnsive but if i could catch a good price on one i would definatley get it.what are the best tasers out their on the market?

Thanks guy your a big help
    wayne

I looked up howitzer on google lol is that millitary artillery?
    Last edited by wayne90; 03-24-12 at 05:24 PM.

G35 Mass is offline Veteran Member G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    The issue with tasers are that they're single-shot, and they're either completely effective, nor not effective at all.

If you miss, you're screwed. If you get a bad probe attachment, you're screwed. A lot of things can cause screwing....

So whats my best option besides a firearm?

wayne

TEXASCOP is offline Crime Fighter TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Well, for training purposes I have been sprayed twice and both times were very unpleasant, but I still had to complete the obstacle course. One of my OC instructors advised he has been sprayed 7 times, according to him FOX brand was the worst/most painful. I suggest you check the laws in your state, some prohibit the carry of law enforcement grade pepper spray. Also keep in mind, if you use it you will breath some in and feel the effects. On the same note anyone who is in the general direction you spray it will likely feel the burn as well. I have been sprayed twice for training purposes but countless times I have been tagged by another officer trying to spray the suspect I was tangled up with. A couple of months ago I had a guy in a rear naked choke hold and one of our rookies beat his FTO to me and doused me and the suspect with OC. Pointless, the suspect was on the verge of unconsciousness and we could have got him into cuffs. No, I spent the rest of the night pissed off at the rookie, had to go change and nursing a burning face.
    Last edited by TEXASCOP; 03-25-12 at 04:40 AM.

Samuel is offline is out Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne90 View Post
    So whats my best option besides a firearm?
    wayne
    Lots of self-defense options out there. No way to tell you what YOUR "Best" option would be - we don't know you, your situations, or your goals/intents. Start with properly using your brain like Gutwrench said and decide what else you can add on to that - remember that nothing is guaranteed 100% and it might be a good idea to have more than one option available...

Im looking for something to give me the upper hand so i can impose my will on the attacker would that be a taser or pepper spray?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne90 View Post
    Im looking for something to give me the upper hand so i can impose my will on the attacker would that be a taser or pepper spray?
    What about Bubba imposing his will on You in jail?

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    What about Bubba imposing his will on You in jail?
    I hate it when that happens and he makes me register our wedding gifts on line.....
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by retdetsgt View Post
    I hate it when that happens and he makes me register our wedding gifts on line.....
    Does he at least give you a say in where you are registered?! lol

ET109 is offline Veteran Member ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    On the East Coast, shaking sand outta my boots...
    Original poster, in seriousness: If you are looking for a self-defense option short of a firearm (or loyal dog), pepper spray is probably your best choice, assuming you can legally buy and carry it (age, criminal record, etc). Get a regular canister (not a tiny keychain one, not a huge fire-extinguisher one) that you can slip in a pocket or on your belt. If you NEED to use it, spray someone and then get away and call the police. Do not try to 'impose your will' on the attacker (heh?), for two reasons.

One, pepper spray is a temporary measure that may or may not work well against an individual... if it works, it will work best to obscure their vision and stun them. They won't need their vision if you're close enough for them to grab you. In that case you will have an angry attacker instead of no attacker.

Two, anything beyond simple defense may land you in legal trouble. Even if you live in a state where the self-defense laws are strong, that doesn't mean you won't end up in trouble if things escalate- see the Martin\Zimmerman case in Florida. The longer you stay engaged with the person, the more things can go wrong.

I don't really like pepper spray because it is not a sure-fire solution and it can spray back at you, so just don't think it's a magic bullet. Course, I've spent a lot of time NOT carrying weapons on me (other than penknives), so I might be biased!

14. This ad will disappear if you login