Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    sandman00989 is offline Junior Member sandman00989 is on a distinguished road

The Florida knife laws

Hey everybody, I would appreciate some help on understanding the Florida knife laws. From searching on Google before I've found many answers to be conflicting and the actual statues to be REALLY vague. According to the statue you can carry a "common pocket knife". Sorry if this question gets rather long too. Since these laws are so vague I was wondering if you guys could lay out for me some kind of guidelines as to what your departments or Florida considers to be legal. You never see people carrying a Swiss army knife around. When I have carried it's been a folder under 4 inches, carried with a pocket clip. Some of the knives I've looked at have assisted opening and many different style blades. I've even heard that in 2003 Bush signed a law making switchblades fall in the category of a common pocket knife?.. Basically what I'm asking is this.

1. Is any knife 4 inches or under legal to carry?
    2. Does the type of blade matter?
    3. Are auto knives actually legal to carry?

I'm not in any way looking to get around the laws, but just to understand them enough to follow them. I would really appreciate any input. If it helps I'm out of Volusia county.

CPL1897 is online now SWAT/PATROL "STUPERVISOR" CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Auto style knives are ILLEGAL in FLORIDA unless you are LE or ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY. I would say what you normally carry "as you say" would be legal here and not a problem. I would use common sense and steer clear of any assisted, butterfly etc. They sell them left and right and gun shows etc. but they are ILLEGAL to carry. It falls under F.S.S. 790, Give me a bit and I will look for and "quote" you specifics from Chapter 790 of the Florida State Statues, its a long chapter so may take me a bit..
    Last edited by CPL1897; 02-23-12 at 07:12 PM.
    "TO PROTECT THE SHEEP FROM THE WOLVES, YOU HAVE TO THINK AND ACT LIKE A WOLF"

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. Had another guy at the gun exchange today tried selling me into a auto. I have seen a lot of those assisted opening ones around, that's what I find most of the people I talk to carrying around. And thank you, that would be good. Thank you for your time on looking this up. I'm hopefully going to the academy in August, then I'd be able to have a better understanding on how to look these things up myself.

CPL1897 is online now SWAT/PATROL "STUPERVISOR" CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute CPL1897 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Here is the Florida State Statutes link: Its public record and its what all LEOs in Florida MUST use reference Violations of Florida Law....

The Florida Senate - The Florida Senate

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statute...TOKEN=39163653

Verified LEO
    Tried to give you the basics, it boils down to common sense really, as for the assisted opening knives, to the best of my knowlege they are OK, I believe the way its worded is if the knive opens using a spring or other means without the user physically opening it then it is considered an un-assisted or auto knive, basically if you begin to physically open the knive and it uses a spring etc. to "complete" the opening process then it is assisted opening whereas if you push a button etc and the knive fully opens without physical assistance it is an auto..Of course thats not the exact wording of the statutes however I think you get the picture.. Best bet is to look at the "web link" I provided and see if that helps. Its always a good idea to use common sense and "if you think it may be illegal" then dont carry it etc.

Also I have been in this line of work a long time and I can tell you from experience if you stay clear of trouble there will be no reason for you to be searched etc, and the knive issue wont become an issue..We dont randomly look at folks minding their business and see a knive clip and "examine" the knive..

Verified LEO
    I also wanted to let you know the "type" of blade (straight/serrated/tanto) does NOT make a
    difference here. Just keep the knive in your pocket until you need it (dont openly carry it) and you will be ok. As for the length, it is mesured by the blade length not the entire knive itself...

Hope that helps, Im falling asleep typing so PM if my response seemed confusing..

Ah thank you, that really helped. I understood it fine. Thank you for the links also, it will help in finding answers to future questions. That was the clearest answer I've heard from anybody. Stay safe out there too.

8. This ad will disappear if you login