Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    D.johnson179 is offline Junior Member D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts

Can I become a cop or federal agent with a General Discharge?

I was kicked out of the military 6 years ago for a Pattern of Misconduct. I received a General Discharge Under Honorable conditions. Reason was going to Mexico without permission, standing an improper watch, and the other was being out of my bunk after curfew while on restriction. These things happened within a six month time frame. Since then I have held several jobs in security and Loss Prevention, attended a school in Close Protection, received my B/S in Criminal Justice and my M/S in Homeland Security. I have no criminal record or DUI and only smoked marijuana twice when I was in high school. I still have a dream of becoming a cop or federal agent. Does anyone know what my chances are? Thanks

Citicop is offline The Original Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I don't think that your odds are good.

Most places require an Honorable Discharge for employment as a police officer. And the exact circumstances (Pattern of Misconduct) also does not speak well of your chances. If you behaved poorly and could not follow the rules in the Military, you will have a hard time convincing a police department that you will do so with them (where you will have much less supervision than you did in the military).
    Sometimes there's Justice...
    and sometimes, there's Just Us
    1*

In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

D.johnson179 is offline Junior Member D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts D.johnson179 is infamous around these parts
    Even with a Master's degree and 6 years of good employment? And if that's so why does veterans preference include a general discharge?

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by D.johnson179 View Post
    Even with a Master's degree and 6 years of good employment? And if that's so why does veterans preference include a general discharge?
    For federal agent jobs and every other police job I'm aware of a Honorable Discharge is required, period. You could have a PhD, 10 years employment with good evils, saving the president's life and whatever other fluff you'd like to add and you still wouldn't meet this minimum requirement. I'm speaking from experience as having been a police officer, deputy sheriff, and federal agent myself.

You have to do something (or not have done something required of you) to get a discharge below Honorable, so what's the background on your discharge?

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    As been said, minimum qualifications are written in stone. Too many people apply for the job openings who meet them for a department or agency for them to have to bother with thinking about a waiver for someone. You might get a job in 4 man department that has no civil service and the chief is your uncle, but beyond that, you might as well forget it.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    You can't do anything you want in life, and think five years from now, if I say I am sorry or acknowledge what I did was wrong, the slate has to be wiped clean and I must be forgiven!Accountability.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

I have never read a single minimum qualification for any federal job that requires an Honorable Discharge and the question stands, if that's so why does veterans preference include a general discharge? I have called the DEA recruiter and she said that it won't disqualify me and also I got 5 preference points for the Border Patrol when I took their test. I appreciate the answers but answer my questions. Specifics of my case are on the original post.

Citicop is offline The Original Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I have never read a single minimum qualification for any federal job that requires an Honorable Discharge and the question stands, if that's so why does veterans preference include a general discharge? I have called the DEA recruiter and she said that it won't disqualify me and also I got 5 preference points for the Border Patrol when I took their test. I appreciate the answers but answer my questions. Specifics of my case are on the original post.
    Fantastic, then we're wrong and you're in the clear.

Feel free to apply, get hired, and then get verified here and show us that we were mistaken about this.

But even if we are wrong and you meet the MINIMUM requirements, you still have to beat every other candidate for the job in order to get hired. You have a documented history of conduct so bad in the military that they threw you out. Getting a Master's Degree does not quite make up for that in my eyes.

Are you eligible for re-enlistment?

I am sorry you disagree with the answers you got to your question here, but you asked our opinion, and we gave it to you. You may be a nice guy, and I'm sure that you'll find a career that is lucrative and fulfilling for you- I just don't think it will be in Law Enforcement.

If you choose to ignore what we're telling you, that's fine. But we don't do you any favors by telling you it will be okay when the fact is that it's probably not in the cards. Apply if you want, but have a good backup plan in place, because I really think you'll need it.

-Citicop.
    Sometimes there's Justice...
    and sometimes, there's Just Us
    1*

In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

marinepilot is offline Slippin' the surly bonds marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I'm wondering why you want us to answer your questions since you obviously already know all the answers? Did you plan on coming here and wasting yours and our time asking questions you already knew answers to better than those of us who have "been there, done that?"
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Sgt. Ervin Romans (OPD) - EOW March 21, 2009

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    They must have lowered their standards, a lot.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

I appreciate your answers and posts. Just wanting to learn more from those who have "been there done that". Just on an endeavor to see if there is anyone who has known someone in my situation who has applied and made it. Apparently you don't. And if someone says that there is a minimum requirement of an honorable discharge and I have never heard of that and I make a reference to something I've heard, than I would like that individual to retort it with examples. Like I said, I appreciate the answers, I just want to know the basis of them. I don't want to waste anyone's time and frankly don't appreciate the attitude. To you who are answering professionally, thank you. To those who aren't, please follow suit.

txinvestigator1 is online now what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    and frankly don't appreciate the attitude. To you who are answering professionally, thank you. To those who aren't, please follow suit.
    1. What makes you think we are here for your appreciation?

2. You HAVE been answered professionally.

You asked for opinions and got them, then argued with those opinions. Why do that? If you have information that is contrary to what you were told here then why ask here? If, as you state, you were looking for information from those who have been there and done that, then just say thank you. You are free to ignore anything you don't like.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Being in LE is like being in the military.

You have a proven track record of not being able to follow orders. You got kicked out of the military which rarely happens compared to those of us who got an Honorable Discharge. While getting your degree is good , it doesn't have any bearing on what you will do and how you will act in a para-military organization like a Police Dept.

Even if you qualify to apply , there are a TON of people who got an Honorable Discharge and they certainly look like a better candidate than you. Thats just the facts.
    Creeper Cop

scott715us is offline Sgt/DUI Inst/Juris Doctor scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    So discharge and polygraph accuracy questions from the same OP....hmmm.

marinepilot is offline Slippin' the surly bonds marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by scott715us View Post
    So discharge and polygraph accuracy questions from the same OP....hmmm.
    I saw that too...
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Sgt. Ervin Romans (OPD) - EOW March 21, 2009

16. This ad will disappear if you login