Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

BoxingBoy
06-18-11, 05:44 PM
Would they be considered both, because of the paper work and patrolling the streets and would a detective or special agent be considered blue collar?

kels
06-18-11, 06:35 PM
Management is considered white collar.
Those of us who work for a living (usually Sgt and below)
are blue collar.

Zipping up flame suit and running for the bunker......LOL

Big Sexy
06-18-11, 06:42 PM
Would they be considered both, because of the paper work and patrolling the streets and would a detective or special agent be considered blue collar?

Why? Are your career choices based on perceived class destinction?

Gutwrench
06-18-11, 06:57 PM
Definitely blue. LAPD blue to be exact.

Citicop
06-18-11, 07:46 PM
Oddly enough, many police departments actually have senior management change the color of their shirts (from blue to white) beginning at Lieutenant...

retdetsgt
06-18-11, 07:48 PM
I always considered myself working class....

Legoate
06-18-11, 09:15 PM
Blue collar for sure. Tell me a white collar job where you get the opportunity to wrestle with naked people covered in their own feces! I smell victory here!

JR180
06-19-11, 12:16 AM
Blue collar for sure. Tell me a white collar job where you get the opportunity to wrestle with naked people covered in their own feces! I smell victory here!

I was pretty young but didnt our President do something like that in the 90's ?

retdetsgt
06-19-11, 09:28 AM
I was pretty young but didnt our President do something like that in the 90's ?

Yeah, but it was with a chubby girl.

Safety Steve
06-19-11, 09:37 AM
My first name is not Mr, it is Trooper and I work for a living! :smilielol5:

Be Safe.

Big Sexy
06-19-11, 10:18 AM
BIG is white collar, with blue collar tendencies.

Kimble
06-19-11, 10:30 AM
Would they be considered both, because of the paper work and patrolling the streets Trash collectors work the streets and do paperwork related to their shifts, would you consider that "both" as well? Blue collar jobs are those that use their hands for a living (ex: mechanic), so by that definition I'd consider police patrol work to be blue collar. Other jobs in law enforcement, such as investigations or administration, are probably more "white collar," but law enforcement as a whole is a unique field that really doesn't go by either descriptor. It's not a banker job and it's not working in a factory, it's a different animal all together.

would a detective or special agent be considered blue collar?

Not sure how you'd figure that. Investigative jobs tend to be office jobs with field activity thrown in to get the job done (sure there's exceptions like a full-time fugitive squad, but in general an investigator job spends a significant time at a desk). That would seem to fit the definition of a "white collar" job to most.

deputywave
06-19-11, 03:42 PM
I happened to look in the mirror before I went to work. Definitely brown collar. :thumbsup: