Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

bculberson
04-07-11, 03:07 PM
I just got my first commission and my department does not supply vests. I found what seems to be a good deal on one made by First Choice Armor but it is dated May 03. Is it safe to wear an older vest? The model printed on it is MF123 and says that it is a threat level 2. Appears to be in good condition and it fits me well. I looked it up on Google and found some articles that the company who made these used Zlyon in some of them and that they are not safe if they were made with it. Can anyone clarify if this is true or not?

Citicop
04-07-11, 03:15 PM
All vests made with Zylon were recalled.

Vests typically are covered under warranty for five years and they recommend replacement after that.

My Academy class (back in the day) shot up a vest nearly 10 years old, and it performed to specs still. I would recommend getting a new vest ASAP. It will certainly be better than nothing if those are your options but much less than ideal.

Also, if you are claiming to be a sworn Law Enforcement Officer, then you need to look here (http://www.realpolice.net/forums/general-law-enforcement-topics-discussion-2/84360-verified-leo-guidelines.html) for the rules and guidelines for verification. Submit your info as requested, and we'll get you into the LEO only areas of the site.

Verification makes it easy for our members to see at a glance who is or is not a Law Enforcement Officer.

Thanks!

-Citicop.

MikeG
04-07-11, 03:23 PM
Zylon is forbidden vest material for departments around here.

Degrades in heat, humidity, fluourescent lights, sunlight, etc.

Found when officer was killed by two 9mm rounds that penetrated completely through an 8-month old vest.

Joeyd6
04-07-11, 05:19 PM
1) You need to get verified if you are claiming to be a LEO.

2) What gun do you carry and what round?

3) What gun do your co-workers carry and what round?

4) How much is your life worth?

Blackgoat06
04-07-11, 05:46 PM
4) How much is your life worth?

This was going to be my main point. When I started out the only thing the department bought was uniforms. We had to buy everything else. I bought a level III vest which ran me about $750 but I don't regret it. I wore that from May 2005 until this past December where my new department bought me a new level III. If they haven't I probably would have bought another myself as they recommend replacing them every 5 years or so...

Joeyd6
04-08-11, 09:01 AM
I agree Greg...he will save $400, but his family with spend $5000 on a funeral.

retdetsgt
04-08-11, 11:29 AM
Yep, I personally know two people who are alive because of their level III vests. Don't leave home without it.:wink5:

Ispbear
04-08-11, 03:21 PM
If you don't have money for a new one, talk to some of your new co-workers. Usually someone can find a used vest to let you use while you save up and buy a new one.

MikeG
04-08-11, 03:40 PM
I just got my first commission and my department does not supply vests. I found what seems to be a good deal on one made by First Choice Armor but it is dated May 03. Is it safe to wear an older vest? The model printed on it is MF123 and says that it is a threat level 2. Appears to be in good condition and it fits me well. I looked it up on Google and found some articles that the company who made these used Zlyon in some of them and that they are not safe if they were made with it. Can anyone clarify if this is true or not?

Also find out why your department doesn't supply vests. Or at least get help with defraying cost. (see link below)

OJP Bulletproof Vest Partnership and the Body Armor Safety Initiative: Home Page (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bvpbasi/home.html)

Email: vests "at" usdoj.gov