Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

TearOne
01-05-11, 04:29 PM
My wife has a prescription for methadone. Is it legal for me to have her prescription in my posession without her present? Also, is there any crime in having a bottle of some other pills (oxycontin) from 2 years ago? The prescription is in her name. But she never took all of them and because they were so expensive, her doctor told her to hang on to them incase he switched her back to that medication. She does not have the same last name as me. How would I go about proving that she is my wife? Can an officer look this up If I were to be stopped?

mcsap
01-05-11, 05:27 PM
Yes, you can be arrested for having someone else meds on you when they are not present.

Why doesn't she ( or YOU ) leave them at home ???? Why MUST you carry them around ?? While it is the officer's discretion on the arrest the fact that it is metadone would make me LESS sympathetic.

Regardless of your doctors advice to keep old drugs around.....it is obvious that your wife is a drug addict and the LAST things she needs is free access to a very misused drug. Not to mention , the drug has very likely expired.

Joeyd6
01-05-11, 06:46 PM
My wife has a prescription for methadone. Is it legal for me to have her prescription in my posession without her present?
No it is not and yes you can be arrested. There is no need for you to have her meds on you without her present.

Also, is there any crime in having a bottle of some other pills (oxycontin) from 2 years ago? The prescription is in her name. But she never took all of them and because they were so expensive, her doctor told her to hang on to them incase he switched her back to that medication. She does not have the same last name as me.
You might as weel return them to the pharmacy. Narcotics expire 1 year after they are issued. All narcotics are sold within 6 months of being manufactured. The drugs power (called half-life) are significantly reduced after such. The pills are worthless and no doctor tells a patient to hold on to pills over a year. It is called negligence and leads to a malpractice suit. He meant to hold them for a few weeks and maybe a month...not years!

How would I go about proving that she is my wife? Can an officer look this up If I were to be stopped?
There is no need to do such because you should have one of the items at all as they are expired and the other you have no need to touch since your wife is not there.

This story has all the makings of drug abuse and a potential arrest.

Blackgoat06
01-05-11, 06:58 PM
Pillheads suck.

JR180
01-05-11, 07:05 PM
Weather or not it is legal is beside the point. The real question is: why the hell would you have narcotics in your possession that are not prescribed to you and are a couple years old? That just seems like you are asking for trouble.

In the state that I am an officer if you get caught with a controlled substance that is not prescribed to you( and you are not a care provider or guardian of the prescribee) not only can you be arrested but if you are found with it in your vehicle then the vehicle now belongs to the state.

I guess what I am saying is leave the damn drugs at home or in your wifes possession. It is not worth risking jail or losing your property because there should be no reason for you to have the drugs.

Just use your head before you get in trouble.

By the way: does anybody know if I am allowed to drive around with a murdered body in my car if I didnt actually kill the person? What if I dont even know who murdered the person? Is there anyway the an officer that pulls me over can tell right there if I am the one who did not killed the corpse? Thanks!

Blackgoat06
01-05-11, 07:26 PM
By the way: does anybody know if I am allowed to drive around with a murdered body in my car if I didnt actually kill the person? What if I dont even know who murdered the person? Is there anyway the an officer that pulls me over can tell right there if I am the one who did not killed the corpse? Thanks!

Yeah you're good.

pac201
01-05-11, 07:35 PM
I figure he's already been arrested and hoped to come here and get different opinions about his being stupid...sorry it didn't work. :nono: :biggrin5:

TearOne
01-05-11, 07:38 PM
Wow. She is obviously a drug addict? That is very offensive for you to say that. Methadone is more often prescribed for pain then drug addiction. Also the only reason I would be driving with her medication is when I pick them up from the pharmacy. She is sometimes in so much pain, she is unable to leave the house. The doctor told her on the day he switched her medication from oxycodone to methadone that incase the methadone did not work for her and he had to switch her back next month, do not throw away a $600 medication. That was very rude of you to assume that she is a drug addict. She was in a car accident 2 and a half years ago and had spine surgery 2 weeks ago. If this is illegal for me to have these, then why would the pharmacist give them to me every month? Also the drugs power is called potency, not half life. Half life is how long it takes 50% of the drug to metabolize out of your system. It even says on the bottle, discard 11/14/11 exactly 3 years after the prescription date. Are you saying I could be arrested for picking up my wifes medication from the pharmacy?

Samuel
01-05-11, 07:41 PM
Wow. She is obviously a drug addict? That is very offensive for you to say that. Methadone is more often prescribed for pain then drug addiction. Also the only reason I would be driving with her medication is when I pick them up from the pharmacy. She is sometimes in so much pain, she is unable to leave the house. The doctor told her on the day he switched her medication from oxycodone to methadone that incase the methadone did not work for her and he had to switch her back next month, do not throw away a $600 medication. That was very rude of you to assume that she is a drug addict. She was in a car accident 2 and a half years ago and had spine surgery 2 weeks ago. If this is illegal for me to have these, then why would the pharmacist give them to me every month? Also the drugs power is called potency, not half life. Half life is how long it takes 50% of the drug to metabolize out of your system. It even says on the bottle, discard 11/14/11 exactly 3 years after the prescription date. Are you saying I could be arrested for picking up my wifes medication from the pharmacy?

Why the hell are you asking if you already have all the answers? :rolleyes5: From now on, just go with whatever the pharmacist lets you do...

JR180
01-05-11, 08:38 PM

Well I guess you told us. Since you and your pharmacist have everything figured out dont you think it is your responsability to inform us of what the laws actually are? After all many of us are only state certified, government trained, and paid with tax money; how are we supposed to know the laws in our respective areas?

pac201
01-05-11, 09:04 PM
My wife has a prescription for methadone. Is it legal for me to have her prescription in my posession without her present? It depends, in your other post you ask if you can go from the pharmacy...a lot different from the inference in this post.Also, is there any crime in having a bottle of some other pills (oxycontin) from 2 years ago? why would you or anyone else for that matter be hauling around pills from 2 years ago??? I think you might understand how it would look to an officer if you say "I'm just holding these for my wife"...The prescription is in her name. But she never took all of them and because they were so expensive, her doctor told her to hang on to them incase he switched her back to that medication. She does not have the same last name as me. How would I go about proving that she is my wife?Why would you want to take that chance? Can an officer look this up If I were to be stopped?No.

There is a ton of difference in you going to the pharmacy and picking up a prescription for your wife and taking it home and you driving around town with a 2 year old scrip in your possession...

mcsap
01-06-11, 01:19 AM
Officer discretion can be overcome by operator error.

Got it ??

scott715us
01-06-11, 07:46 AM
In most states you can be arrested for having someone else's prescription in your possession. Especially if they're Schedule I, II, and III drugs. Now if it can be shown that you're taking it to your wife, there's a valid prescription on the bottle, and confirmation by the pharmacist, then I doubt you will be charged (i.e. officer discretion). It can happen though.

Gutwrench
01-06-11, 07:54 AM
TearOne,

Don't let common sense get in your way.

Here's a piece of universal advice when it comes to law and police...the amount of evidence necessary to arrest is always less than the amount of evidence necessary to convict. Cops try to exercise good judgement and common sense during their professional contacts. You should too.

Joeyd6
01-06-11, 06:18 PM
Wow. She is obviously a drug addict? That is very offensive for you to say that. Methadone is more often prescribed for pain then drug addiction.
Actually sir you are incorrect. According to the FDA (who gets their info from doctors writing the scripts), approximately 80% of US sales is for additiction issues. As you can see, we all may have jumped to a conclusion, but we did so due to a lack of information from you. We are not mind readers here.

Also the only reason I would be driving with her medication is when I pick them up from the pharmacy. She is sometimes in so much pain, she is unable to leave the house.
Think this key detail would have helped us earlier?

The doctor told her on the day he switched her medication from oxycodone to methadone that incase the methadone did not work for her and he had to switch her back next month, do not throw away a $600 medication.
BS! Here is the deal. The maximium dosage of OXY is 30 mg per 24 hours in the absolute worst case without cancer or geriatric. VERY RARE. A 5 mg pill has a RETAIL SUGGESTED PRICE of $1.80 per pill. No doctor perscribes more than a 30 day supply at once in accordance with FDA regulations. At full retail, with no insurance, paying the manufacturers suggested price is $324 a month....the most you would be out of pocket in the worst case scenario. With insurance it is much less. Any comparative shopping would yield lower costs. My local Costco is a $1 a pill with NO insurance. Not the $600 you claim.

Doctors re-evaluate every three months at most, and will take somebody off Oxcy and place them on something else. The whole process is called opiad rotation.

Also the drugs power is called potency, not half life. Half life is how long it takes 50% of the drug to metabolize out of your system.
Actually, before you speak, learn. If you fully understood pharmacology and drug issues, you would not be here to begin with, would you? I do not care about potency....nor do doctors. What matters is HALF LIFE. When manufactured, a drug's half life is fairly long, which means that it may stay in the body for a very long time without significantly diminishing in strength, and work to alleviate the condition present. Over time, the chemicals in a pill breakdown. Time automatically causes the breakdown with no outside factors. Additionally storage conditions (light or dark; warm or cold; humid or dry) will increase the breakdown. That breakdown results in shorter half-life. An old pill has a reduced half-life and reduced potency. Meaning instead of 1 pill to address a condition over 6 hours, an old pill, which has a reduced half-life, will not work as effective or as long as a fresh pill. Thus, half life is what is relevant. It is the medically accepted test for medication. So while I appreciate your input, it is not correctly applied to the conversation.

It even says on the bottle, discard 11/14/11 exactly 3 years after the prescription date.
I highly suggest you get a new pharmacy. Narcotics are to be labled per FDA standards. One year from the date perscribed is what the FD states. Additionally, Perdue Pharma tested the producted and states it has a 3 year shelf life (from date it came off the factory till no longer having the normal half life.), if in IDEAL storage (no light) and never opened. Well guess what happens when it hits the pharmacy? That big bottle is opened/closed numerous times and may or may not be stored accordingly. Oxy requires storage in a "light tight" container at 77 degrees. By the time they got it, it is likely 6 months or so old. When your pharmacy needs it, they get it from their wholesaler. Pharms are sold to wholesalers to sell for retail sales. That has to be done within 6 months of manufacturing. After that it sits on their shelf till a store calls for a bottle. By the time it hits your phamracy, it is usually at least 6-12 months old already. They opoen it and start exposing it to light, humidity and I highly doubt 77 degrees. That pill is not good for three years when you get it. So yes, your bottle is wrong.