Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Dale12
11-30-10, 06:00 PM
PLEASE HELP!
I had a question on what would happen when I go to court. Today I got into a car accident. I told the State Trooper exactly what happened: I pulled my car over to the side because my break pad was shaking (I pulled over in an area that is was a No U-Turn area). All of sudden my accelerator jumped and I pretty much lost control of my car. I had a strobelight box in my car and put it in the windshield so people would move out of the way because I did not have control of the car and the only thought going through my head was "get off the highway". So I tried to exit and the breaks locked up and me. I over shot the exit ramp and ran into a light pole. I knocked the whole thing over. The Trooper wrote me three tickets for: 1. Excess of speed (he didn't witness me speeding, he went off what a witness said), 2. Moving from the left lane unsafely, and the third one was about the lightbox. I wanted to know what might a judge do. I am 18, with no priors, aspiring to be an Officer one day. I am nervous.

Citicop
11-30-10, 06:07 PM
PLEASE HELP!
I had a question on what would happen when I go to court. Today I got into a car accident. I told the State Trooper exactly what happened: I pulled my car over to the side because my break pad was shaking (I pulled over in an area that is was a No U-Turn area). All of sudden my accelerator jumped and I pretty much lost control of my car. I had a strobelight box in my car and put it in the windshield so people would move out of the way because I did not have control of the car and the only thought going through my head was "get off the highway". So I tried to exit and the breaks locked up and me. I over shot the exit ramp and ran into a light pole. I knocked the whole thing over. The Trooper wrote me three tickets for: 1. Excess of speed (he didn't witness me speeding, he went off what a witness said), 2. Moving from the left lane unsafely, and the third one was about the lightbox. I wanted to know what might a judge do. I am 18, with no priors, aspiring to be an Officer one day. I am nervous.
Welcome to the forum.

I think you'll probably be okay in the long run. Get a mechanic to look at your car and then bring him into court to testify to any mechanical difficulties you may have encountered. That will help.

Provided that the rest of your driving record is good, this should not really hamper you in your efforts to get hired.

-Citicop.

Samuel
11-30-10, 06:40 PM
PLEASE HELP!

Your story doesn't fly with me - for a few reasons. You might want to work on explaining it better before you go to court. Also "strobelight box" isn't a useful description - either describe it fully, or give a brand/model, and/or show a picture.

Dale12
11-30-10, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I think you'll probably be okay in the long run. Get a mechanic to look at your car and then bring him into court to testify to any mechanical difficulties you may have encountered. That will help.

Provided that the rest of your driving record is good, this should not really hamper you in your efforts to get hired.

-Citicop.

P.S. I cannot for the life of me see what the content of this thread has to do with the title "Impersonating a Police Officer." Any explanation, RP?

This is my third car accident in 6 months. The first time I fell asleep at the wheel, the second I ran into the back of a disabled vehicle. If the mechanic says there was no fault with the car, what will happen? I looked online to see if the accelator jumping everhappened to anyone else and I couldn't find anything. I drive....well drove a '08 Dodge Charger and it the color of State Trooper vehicles.

Dale12
11-30-10, 06:43 PM
Your story doesn't fly with me - for a few reasons. You might want to work on explaining it better before you go to court. Also "strobelight box" isn't a useful description - either describe it fully, or give a brand/model, and/or show a picture.

What do you mean it doesn't fly with you? and It was a black strobe light box that we used last year for Halloween. It was by my foot in the car.

Samuel
11-30-10, 06:49 PM
What do you mean it doesn't fly with you? and It was a black strobe light box that we used last year for Halloween. It was by my foot in the car.

"Doesn't fly with me" means it doesn't make sense to me and/or sounds like BS... "black strobe light box that we used last year for halloween" still doesn't explain much at all - is it AC powered or DC/cigarette lighter adapter powered (is it meant for use at home or in a vehicle), how big is it, what color(s) does it emit, what is it's primary use, what brand/model is it, ETC. Also - what Exactly is the "color of state trooper vehicles"?

retdetsgt
11-30-10, 06:52 PM
I have never heard of a car's accelerator suddenly "jumping" and forcing the car to speed away from a stop. it's pretty much mechanically impossible. There are rare instances of them sticking after being floored, yes, but not taking off like that. Was your ignition key stuck too?

Good luck finding a mechanic that will verify that or a judge that will believe it.

Your story sounds like something I would have made up when I was 18 too.

Citicop
11-30-10, 06:54 PM
Now that I have more closely examined your story, I have to say that it doesn't fly with me either.

Your accelerator stuck and you 'immediately lost control', and your first instinct is not to fight to regain control of the car, it's not to brake or shift into neutral, and it's not to hit the emergency brake.

No.

Your first instinct is to reach down to the floorboard where you have a dashboard mounted strobe light you "had leftover from last Halloween" (never had a Halloween costume that required mounting things inside a vehicle.) and put it into the window so people could "get out of your way."

Given the option between that and "I was screwing around and driving too fast with a stupid prop in my car when I lost control and hit a pole," the second one seems to make WAY more sense to me.

Dale12
11-30-10, 06:57 PM
"Doesn't fly with me" means it doesn't make sense to me and/or sounds like BS... "black strobe light box that we used last year for halloween" still doesn't explain much at all - is it AC powered or DC/cigarette lighter adapter powered (is it meant for use at home or in a vehicle), how big is it, what color(s) does it emit, what is it's primary use, what brand/model is it, ETC. Also - what Exactly is the "color of state trooper vehicles"?

Officer, I know what doesn't fly with you means. You said there were a few reasons. I was inquiring as to what they were.

The strobe is black, 5 inches in length and about 3 inches wide. It is powered by 2 AA batteries and its and LED light that emits a white color. It was a halloween prop.

In New York State, State Trooper vehicles are Navy Blue in color. The color of my car matched the same color of the State Trooper vehicles.

Dale12
11-30-10, 07:03 PM
Now that I have more closely examined your story, I have to say that it doesn't fly with me either.

Your accelerator stuck and you 'immediately lost control', and your first instinct is not to fight to regain control of the car, it's not to brake or shift into neutral, and it's not to hit the emergency brake.

No.

Your first instinct is to reach down to the floorboard where you have a dashboard mounted strobe light you "had leftover from last Halloween" (never had a Halloween costume that required mounting things inside a vehicle.) and put it into the window so people could "get out of your way.

Given the option between that and "I was screwing around and driving too fast with a stupid prop in my car when I lost control and hit a pole," the second one seems to make WAY more sense to me.

I do not have a mounted strobe light and I did not think to use the emergency brake or anything. I did not know what to do. The only thing I was thinking about was getting off the highway. I was not attempting to drive fast because it was raining.

Dale12
11-30-10, 07:04 PM
I have never heard of a car's accelerator suddenly "jumping" and forcing the car to speed away from a stop. it's pretty much mechanically impossible. There are rare instances of them sticking after being floored, yes, but not taking off like that. Was your ignition key stuck too?

Good luck finding a mechanic that will verify that or a judge that will believe it.

Nothing about my story is made up. It is what happened.

GoDirectly2Jail
11-30-10, 07:07 PM
PLEASE HELP!
I had a question on what would happen when I go to court. Today I got into a car accident. I told the State Trooper exactly what happened: I pulled my car over to the side because my break pad was shaking (I pulled over in an area that is was a No U-Turn area). All of sudden my accelerator jumped and I pretty much lost control of my car. I had a strobelight box in my car and put it in the windshield so people would move out of the way because I did not have control of the car and the only thought going through my head was "get off the highway". So I tried to exit and the breaks locked up and me. I over shot the exit ramp and ran into a light pole. I knocked the whole thing over. The Trooper wrote me three tickets for: 1. Excess of speed (he didn't witness me speeding, he went off what a witness said), 2. Moving from the left lane unsafely, and the third one was about the lightbox. I wanted to know what might a judge do. I am 18, with no priors, aspiring to be an Officer one day. I am nervous. The only question I see in your post is, "What would happen when I go to court."

The answer is that your case will be called, and your charges will be read, and you will be given the opportunity to plead guilty or not guilty and to tell your story. The officer will give his version of events and the judge will make a decision on each of your three charges, and based upon that, you will either have to pay fines and court costs, lose your license or have it restricted in some way, or perhaps face probation or even jail time (depending on the exact charges), or you will walk out of court scot free without paying a dime, or some combination thereof.

Citicop
11-30-10, 07:12 PM
No one is saying you are lying. We weren't there, so we don't know for sure what happened.

What we are saying is that the story as you are presenting it does not sound as plausible as other explanations for the same set of facts.

Occam's Razor, and all.

Dale12
11-30-10, 07:13 PM
The only question I see in your post is, "What would happen when I go to court."

The answer is that your case will be called, and your charges will be read, and you will be given the opportunity to plead guilty or not guilty and to tell your story. The officer will give his version of events and the judge will make a decision on each of your three charges, and based upon that, you will either have to pay fines and court costs, lose your license or have it restricted in some way, or perhaps face probation or even jail time (depending on the exact charges), or you will walk out of court scot free without paying a dime, or some combination thereof.

Eventhough I do not have a prior record, I would still be eligible for jail time in this circumstance?

Dale12
11-30-10, 07:17 PM
If I am found guilty of impersonating a police officer, what could happen? Please.... =/

basher52
11-30-10, 07:21 PM
I find these charges sustained....Will you paying those tickets today? Cash? Visa or Mastercard?

I concur with my fellow LEO's regarding your story.

Samuel
11-30-10, 07:49 PM
If you were only ticketed that night, as opposed to spending the night or more in the pokey, that's a good sign. As far as Possible penalties upon a conviction, take a look at the section(s) you were cited for and they'll usually say (check the big thick book or google an internet site with your official codes/statutes)....

Gutwrench
11-30-10, 07:53 PM
Let me get this straight, first your accelerator mysteriously "jumps" sending you racing down the freeway, but you have a strobe light conveniently close at hand so you toss that onto the dash to warn other motorists when all of a sudden your brakes lock up and you and your car, which coincidentally resembles a flat top patrol car, careens into a light pole.

Secondly, the investigating officer cited you for three violations and this is your third crash in six months.

I think you should be nervous because I think the judge will listen to your story with the same incredulity we have. I think you should also be nervous about what action your insurance may take against your policy.

Dale12
11-30-10, 08:05 PM
If you were a Judge, what would you do?... :(

Citicop
11-30-10, 08:11 PM
I would do the same thing I did here.

I would tell you that your story seems implausible to me and that there is likely some other explanation that covers the set of circumstances that were found at the scene of the accident.

Dale12
11-30-10, 08:17 PM
And becuase of this I would likely go to jail??? :(

mobrien316
11-30-10, 08:21 PM
It sounds like you were impersonating a police officer or, at the very least, attempting to do so.

There is no car in America in which the brake cannot override the accelerator. Any person who suddenly found themselves in a car that was accelerating inexplicably would instinctively hit the brakes, and that would stop the car.

I doubt very much a judge will believe your story, as it simply does not make any sense. You would be much better off admitting to the judge that you exercised poor judgment and will never do it again.

Citicop
11-30-10, 08:22 PM
I never said that you would go to jail.

It may be possible (in my state, you can be sentenced to jail for speeding), but I don't think it's likely.

Consider this: The officer on the scene thought it appropriate to give you a ticket on the scene and let you go. HE didn't take you to jail, so I would say it's likely the judge will not send you there either.

retdetsgt
11-30-10, 08:27 PM
And becuase of this I would likely go to jail??? :(

It depends entirely on the local judges and jail space. Here you probably won't go to jail, but you could kiss your license good bye for a year or two.

What you did endangered a lot of lives, you realize that, don't you? And unless you can come in with some proof from a reputable dealer's mechanic that your story was reasonably possible, a judge isn't going to buy it. And I seriously doubt you are going to be able to do that. On the surface, it sounds a lot more like you were screwing around with a strobe and speeding.

My experience in a lot of years of investigation is that the truth is like water and electricity, it follows the past of least resistance. When you start throwing in odd and unusual circumstances, they usually turn out not to be what happened.

Dale12
11-30-10, 08:28 PM
I never said that you would go to jail.

It may be possible (in my state, you can be sentenced to jail for speeding), but I don't think it's likely.

Consider this: The officer on the scene thought it appropriate to give you a ticket on the scene and let you go. HE didn't take you to jail, so I would say it's likely the judge will not send you there either.

The Trooper told my mother that the only reason that he was letting me go was because the car was registered to her.

Cat_Doc
11-30-10, 08:30 PM
I think the kid can't drive worth a crap. I think he engaged the strobe light to move traffic out of his way then tromped it breaking traction in the rain slicked surface and then lost control before being stopped by the light pole.

Blackgoat06
11-30-10, 08:46 PM

Well it is a Dodge so a mechanical failure isn't all that far fetched...

I sentence the OP to remedial driver training.

pac201
11-30-10, 08:57 PM
If I am found guilty of impersonating a police officer, what could happen? Please.... =/

Did you get cited for impersonating a police officer?

BJJVad
11-30-10, 09:00 PM
PLEASE HELP!

tHZcl2kgRho

Dale12
11-30-10, 09:04 PM
Did you get cited for impersonating a police officer?

No, I was cited for having an illegal light in the car.

retdetsgt
11-30-10, 09:15 PM
The Trooper told my mother that the only reason that he was letting me go was because the car was registered to her.

That wouldn't matter. If you weren't actually charged with impersonating an officer, that's probably why you didn't go to jail.

I seriously doubt you will go to jail too. But if your story about the accelerator and strobe isn't true, don't tell it to the judge. Judges are much more impressed by young people who take responsibility for their actions.

pac201
11-30-10, 10:16 PM
That wouldn't matter. If you weren't actually charged with impersonating an officer, that's probably why you didn't go to jail.

I seriously doubt you will go to jail too. But if your story about the accelerator and strobe isn't true, don't tell it to the judge. Judges are much more impressed by young people who take responsibility for their actions.

You're getting some really good advice about telling the truth, I think I would run with that...

Legoate
11-30-10, 11:40 PM
Here is an alternative scenario... let's see which makes more sense, yours or mine:

I'm 18 years old and like to drive fast. I borrow my moms car which looks like a police vehicle and decide to drive fast. I put a flashing light up on the dash so I can drive like a bat-out-of-hell and other drivers will get out of my way trying to figure out WTF is going on.

However, my driving skills suck (as evidenced by my previous two collisions this year) and I end up unable to control the vehicle due to my excessive speed and plow into a pole.

After the wreck I get a ticket and wonder what BS story I can make up to keep from going to jail....

Blackgoat06
12-01-10, 02:12 AM
I wouldnt let someone with that driving history drive my 2008 bicycle.

Safety Steve
12-01-10, 02:36 AM
If you were a Judge, what would you do?... :(

I would throw the book at you! Yes literally, throw it at you if I were the Judge! Sounds like you got your license out of a cracker jack box! Three crashes in 6 months would also get you a referral to the Medical Advisory Board!

Be Safe.

Aussie George
12-01-10, 06:19 AM
I started to write a lengthy reply, but instead I choose to just say that this sounds like BS. And I am sure the judge will concur. That is all. I rest my case.

mcsap
12-01-10, 08:31 AM
PLEASE HELP!
I had a question on what would happen when I go to court. Today I got into a car accident. I told the State Trooper exactly what happened: I pulled my car over to the side because my break pad was shaking (I pulled over in an area that is was a No U-Turn area).

I,ll assume you mean the brake pedal. Probably your anti-lock brakes doing their job.

All of sudden my accelerator jumped and I pretty much lost control of my car.

Hmmmmm, sounds very fishy to me.

I had a strobelight box in my car and put it in the windshield so people would move out of the way because I did not have control of the car and the only thought going through my head was "get off the highway".

So your car is wildly accelerating , you can't control it and you have the ability and the presence of mind to place a strobe light on your dash ( that you just happened to have ) ?? Suuuuure.

So I tried to exit and the breaks locked up and me. I over shot the exit ramp and ran into a light pole. I knocked the whole thing over. The Trooper wrote me three tickets for: 1. Excess of speed (he didn't witness me speeding, he went off what a witness said)I dont need to witness you speeding to cite you for it when you are going WAY too fast and take out a pole. It's called common sense. , 2. Moving from the left lane unsafely, and the third one was about the lightbox. I wanted to know what might a judge do. I am 18, with no priors, aspiring to be an Officer one day. I am nervous.

If I were the judge , I would find you guilty and throw the book at you. You are a danger to society while behind the wheel and need your wings clipped.

If you really want to get into LE , knock off the stupid stuff.

Joeyd6
12-01-10, 09:00 AM
Sam was the first to nail this and he coudl not have been more correct. Thinking the same thing....then we learn:

1) 08 Charger....same car cops use
2) "same color as cop cars"
3) Has poor driving history (3 accidents in 6 months...all his fault)
4) Is 18 years old
5) Has a strobe light in the car "by his feet"" Hmm...who has stuff by their feet on the drivers side except somebody trying to hide something?
6) Claims the "accelerator jumped and brakes locked" at the same time and worried a worried a mechanic will "find nothing"...likely because there is nothing wrong with the car!
7) "The only thing I was thinking about was getting off the highway" yet you were able to think about reaching down and grab a light by your feet and place such on the dash.

BS to you and your story. It has more holes than swiss cheese. Good luck with that in court. You obviously are too immature to be driving. By the way, in court you are under oath. And if you expect ANYONE to fall for your story, try a different version...like the truth. You will get hammered for lying.

You are also looking at a license suspension
1) Fell asleep...2 points
2) Rear end car....2 points
3) Excess speed....3 points
4) Unsafe lane change....3 points
5) Impersonating.... ????

At 11 points you get suspended!

GoDirectly2Jail
12-01-10, 01:13 PM
If you weren't charged with impersonating, why did you title this thread that way? I too think this story is not the "hole troof".

Dale12
12-01-10, 01:55 PM
If you weren't charged with impersonating, why did you title this thread that way? I too think this story is not the "hole troof".

I wanted to know whether a Judge would charge me for it even-though the Trooper did not.

Switchback
12-01-10, 02:12 PM
Asked and answered.