Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

maine
10-28-10, 12:23 AM
I need some help. I live in california and my ex wife live in Columbia Falls, Maine. The last time I was home I was informed by no less than 10 of my friends, (people I have known for 15 years) that my ex wife and her husband are selling pounds of drugs out of their HUD house. I was told they are a major supplier for Washington County. I am currently in the Airforce and have been with the DOD since Jan-2003.
About 30 minutes after I was informed I called the State police, they said Columbia falls was not covered and gave my the # for the DEA. I spoke with the DEA and I was asked if she would sell drugs to me. I replied "I seariously doubt it". I also called the Maine State Department of Health and Human Services and made a statement. Not one office has done anything "to look in to it". My daughter is living in a slum. The last time I walked in to that house there were bongs and glass pipes all over the kitchen table. She neglects my daughter, I have pictures of my 8 year old's toe nails growing down under her toes (about an inch long). I still have the nails, my sister and I clipped form her feet. I have been paying my child support, it was $827 a month then went to $650 after a modification review.
She has a HUD house she has not worked in over 4 years, and her husband has not worked in years as well. Yet they have a 6ft flat screen and brand new cars. And all of my daughters colthes are thilthy. I need to save her from this. This is no way to grow up.

Help....... Please!!!!!!

-MAINE

Sgt. Slaughter
10-28-10, 12:47 AM
Why don't you contact your attorney and get custody, then?

maine
10-28-10, 01:17 AM
DOD Jag Officers will not handle family matters. I hired a lawyer from Bangor, and after $1,700 all I got was my ex wife's husband's police & driving record and a big fat I can't help you. Pro bono is hard to come by in Washington county. I will not have the money for a lawyer or a P.I. for quite some time. Is there some other agency I might be able to contact?

-Maine

Sgt. Slaughter
10-28-10, 01:31 AM
You need to grt custody and that will most likely involve the family court system in Maine. Screw the P.I. and digging up dirt on the new guy. If the local child services in Maine can't /won't help, there's not much left for you to do.

MikeG
10-28-10, 01:58 AM
MDEA Drug Enforcement (http://www.maine.gov/dps/mdea/drugenforcement.html)

Washington County is Columbia Falls and is District VII.

The Lieutenant in charge is with the Sheriff's office (it looks like small dept)
Washington County Sheriff's Office (http://www.wcsheriffsoffice.com/)

They have phone numbers and the website has his name. I'd call and ask for the Lt. in charge of the Drug task force in Washington county and get his ideas on what you should do. It seems small enough that asking for the Lt. by name is going to get you the farthest.

Samuel
10-28-10, 03:51 AM
I need some help. I live in california and my ex wife live in Columbia Falls, Maine. The last time I was home I was informed by no less than 10 of my friends, (people I have known for 15 years) that my ex wife and her husband are selling pounds of drugs out of their HUD house. I was told they are a major supplier for Washington County. I am currently in the Airforce and have been with the DOD since Jan-2003.
About 30 minutes after I was informed I called the State police, they said Columbia falls was not covered and gave my the # for the DEA. I spoke with the DEA and I was asked if she would sell drugs to me. I replied "I seariously doubt it". I also called the Maine State Department of Health and Human Services and made a statement. Not one office has done anything "to look in to it". My daughter is living in a slum. The last time I walked in to that house there were bongs and glass pipes all over the kitchen table. She neglects my daughter, I have pictures of my 8 year old's toe nails growing down under her toes (about an inch long). I still have the nails, my sister and I clipped form her feet. I have been paying my child support, it was $827 a month then went to $650 after a modification review.
She has a HUD house she has not worked in over 4 years, and her husband has not worked in years as well. Yet they have a 6ft flat screen and brand new cars. And all of my daughters colthes are thilthy. I need to save her from this. This is no way to grow up.

Help....... Please!!!!!!

-MAINE

Re: the bolded above - why the hell didn't you do something about it then???

Joeyd6
10-28-10, 08:16 AM
You should call HUD-OIG. They have a task force up there with a bunch of other agencies and do a bang-up job getting folks arrested/convicted and the house taken away. Maybe that will be your chance to get your child back.

Calling HUD-OIg will eliminate the need of calling multiple agencies (local PD, State PD, county sheriff, DEA, etc.... as they all sit on the task force run by HUD).

retdetsgt
10-28-10, 08:21 AM
MDEA Drug Enforcement (http://www.maine.gov/dps/mdea/drugenforcement.html)

Washington County is Columbia Falls and is District VII.

The Lieutenant in charge is with the Sheriff's office (it looks like small dept)
Washington County Sheriff's Office (http://www.wcsheriffsoffice.com/)

They have phone numbers and the website has his name. I'd call and ask for the Lt. in charge of the Drug task force in Washington county and get his ideas on what you should do. It seems small enough that asking for the Lt. by name is going to get you the farthest.

He can call, but I seriously doubt that lieutenant is going to be able to help him. We got calls like that all the time when I was in drugs. When it comes to small dealers, we're one trick ponies. Send someone in to make a buy, write an affidavit for a search warrant, kick in the door and hope you find drugs. We don't have the time nor energy to mess with doing them any other way.

And child custody situations are not our bailiwick. We deal with criminal court, not domestic relations.

MikeG
10-28-10, 02:37 PM
He can call, but I seriously doubt that lieutenant is going to be able to help him. We got calls like that all the time when I was in drugs. When it comes to small dealers, we're one trick ponies. Send someone in to make a buy, write an affidavit for a search warrant, kick in the door and hope you find drugs. We don't have the time nor energy to mess with doing them any other way.

And child custody situations are not our bailiwick. We deal with criminal court, not domestic relations.

last, best shot if everything else wasn't working. I presume the police would report to CPS and force their hands a bit if a child was involved. I can't imagine a child being allowed to stay in house if they found, say, a meth lab.

If a person is inside a house with drugs and paraphenalia and kids, can they call 911 and expect a response? Will police enter a residence in that case? Is an eyewitness account enough for search warrant? Citizens arrest?

mcsap
10-28-10, 09:54 PM
This has been going on for YEARS and you just NOW decide to try to get the police involved ?

Trip
10-28-10, 11:45 PM
This has been going on for YEARS and you just NOW decide to try to get the police involved ?

You know, I'm really startin to understand why cops are so numb to this sh**......

SHH 1313
10-29-10, 10:12 AM
Can you take some pic's on the sly and turn on your video on the phone next time you are there? If you can......? And show that to somebody????????

A nosey concerned citizen tip.... Good Luck and don't give up....

US.GOV=Crazy
12-21-10, 03:31 AM
Good luck man. I've been in situation like this (i'm 19) and from Aroostook County not far from where the triple homicide in Amity took place. Didn't end well for me. My little brother is ten years younger then me. He would tell DHS about our mother snorting powdered sugar/smoking funny smelling ciggarettes with him in the car (year or two old). He once broke his arm and if it wasn't for me he wouldn't of been taken to the hospital. I've had her attack me and tear pieces from my arms with her fingernails and have me almost charged with assualt. Be really careful with the Maine court system. I know so many good people who's lives they have destroyed.

SANE-A30
12-21-10, 05:11 AM
When was the last time that you was home???
trying to understand the timeline of events??
was it two years ago, last week?
Might be why noone is jumping through hoops to help, if you have waited a yr to report this to someone etc....
I find it VERY hard to believe that if you have x amount of people stating a child is in an abusive situation , no one is willing to investigate this???
you stated you had no money for a Lawyer, can you not get a loan from the bank?

I also would not send anymore money to support their drug habit........I know you have to but maybe even pull that card...there are a lot of resources out there that will/ can help you call foster care agencies if you have too, I am confused as to why you did'nt call the cops when you found the drug paraphernalia???

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck odds are it is a duck......

SANE-A30
12-21-10, 05:23 AM
Re: the bolded above - why the hell didn't you do something about it then???

Yeah I agree with this, that was your proof right then........???

i could be very wrong and I apologize if I am but something tells me this is a way of payback for something, I say this b/c i am a mother to a six yr old and there is noway I would have left my kid there, I would have called the cops right then and packed his stuff.....

GoDirectly2Jail
12-21-10, 10:37 AM
The thread starter joined two months ago, posted twice, and hasn't been back. Safe to say any responses to this thread at this point will fall on deaf ears.

SANE-A30
12-21-10, 11:24 AM
I did not realize the original dates of this thread...... :( that's not good poor little girl.... hope she got out of that mess!

maine
07-31-11, 02:39 AM
Thank you! I used the info you gave me and it helped me.

maine
07-31-11, 02:44 AM
It has not fallen on def ears. I went homeless there for a few months. I found a cheap place and have a little money coming in but Maine DHHS is trying as hard as they can to take what little I have.

maine
07-31-11, 03:15 AM
I have spoken with the Maine DEA Officer near Bangor several times. Since my first two posts my ex's husband has been arrested at thier home twice on drug possession charges (2 class E's 1 class V), taking all of the blame so that she stays out of trouble. He is due in Superior court in Oct. She has not been charged with any crime. Is at least knowledge of a crime (selling drugs) or (since the house was in her name possession of drugs) or using drugs around kids?
I have reported to Maine DEA every time I hear that they have done or will be doing something illegal.
My daughter has medical issues and is in need of expert advice, however the medication being given to her over the last several years has not changed and is not to treat her problem (it could be done with an operation) but make it less painfull for her. (I am in the process of trying to fix this)
In the last 3 years for my one child I've paid around $36,000. I have had employment issues like everyone else and am currently on TANF for the first time in my life and my children that live with me are on MEDI-CAL. I informed Maine DHHS in a certified letter, they were supposed to stop collection efforts while we are on state aid. But as of today I recieved an letter in the mail stating %100 of the monies deposited in my pittiful bank account will be taken, my old car with over 215,000 miles will be taken and given to her as a form of payment along with every tool I own (I will use for work) will be taken as well.

Any Ideas??????
Thank you....

retdetsgt
07-31-11, 07:27 AM
You need a lawyer as a buffer between you and the state of Maine. The issue between you and your ex as far as child support, etc. is strictly civil and her husband's activities have no bearing on that. If you have NO money, you might contact your local legal aid to see if they can help.

Good luck.