Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : A Juvenile Felony That Haunts Me

jsc
10-02-10, 06:31 PM
This may be asked a lot but after digging through hundreds of pages and forum threads about this topic, I can't seem to get the answer I'm looking for. First off, when I was 15 years old, I was charged with Burglary, 2nd Degree and Property Damage of between $2000-$9000. My friend and I made the mistake of vandalizing homes that were under construction (don't worry, we didn't break into a current resident's home). Fortunately, we were only sentenced 6 months probation and 50 hours of community service, which I completed as soon as possible.

The courts agreed to have my juvenile records expunged at age 18, which they were. Obviously my civil rights were restored as I'm now a proud gun owner but that is besides the point. To my understanding, the felony I committed is still accessible to any law enforcement agency I apply to. Furthermore, according to AZPOST, I should, "Not have been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona."

Now then, I am all for telling the truth and I have full documentation to provide evidence of the felony I committed and that I was expunged at age 18. Obviously, LE agencies in Arizona hire by AZPOST standards so would I pretty much be out in the rain on this one? I have no further felony or misdemeanor convictions after that one, I've never touched a drug in my life, and my driving record is a sliver below perfect. It's been 7 years since that day as well. So do you think I'd be disqualified?

retdetsgt
10-02-10, 07:07 PM
Depends on the state. In some states, expunged means sealed and LE can have access. In others, the record is destroyed and you can legally claim you have never been arrested.

I would contact an attorney in your state to see what you should do.

Your other option is to apply, tell what happened and see what they say. In some states, juvenile stuff can be forgiven.

Joeyd6
10-02-10, 09:17 PM
Kids do stupid things. if you have gone 7 years and been a model citizen, I would grab a volunteer position (EMS or fire department) whihc shows you are trustworthy and dedicated to public service. If you did that and walked into the NYPD saying your were stupid and realize what you did was wrong, regret it and have done a,b,c,1,2,3 since then, you would be fine.

Outshined
10-02-10, 09:27 PM
Well I went from the womb to 23 without being arrested for anything or attempting to prey on anyone around me. I did this because it is the right thing to do. My parents taught me that.

With that said you probably could still apply and be an officer in New York.

Before anyone asks, I got hired at 23.

retdetsgt
10-02-10, 10:22 PM
It would be a toss up with my old department. Even though you were young and all, it was a felony, not something like shoplifting a candy bar or something.

I would just say give it a shot. If one turns you down, try some others. It's free to apply.

jsc
10-15-10, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I noted my juvenile felony on my pre-screen application and I took the written test about a week or two ago. There were thousands of applicants taking the test and they only took 300 of the top scores to move onto the physical and I passed! I haven't gotten a phone call or e-mail regarding my juvenile record so I'll go ahead and keep going through the process until I need to explain it in greater detail.

pac201
10-16-10, 09:45 AM
Welcome. Keep us posted on how it goes.

We do like to hear the results of these things... :)

L-1
10-17-10, 06:06 PM
I can't speak for Arizona, but in most states, any person convicted of a felony is prohibited from employment as a peace officer. In many states this prohibition holds even if the conviction was sealed, expunged, or set aside.

However in many states, proceedings under juvenile court are generally not considered to be a criminal conviction unless the individual was certified, tried, and convicted as an adult. Therefore, juvenile convictions are not included as a legal bar to appointment as a peace officer. Nonetheless, the conduct surrounding the offense should certainly be considered as part of the overall background.

jsc
10-21-10, 02:03 AM
pac201, I'll be sure to keep you guys updated.

I can't speak for Arizona, but in most states, any person convicted of a felony is prohibited from employment as a peace officer. In many states this prohibition holds even if the conviction was sealed, expunged, or set aside.

However in many states, proceedings under juvenile court are generally not considered to be a criminal conviction unless the individual was certified, tried, and convicted as an adult. Therefore, juvenile convictions are not included as a legal bar to appointment as a peace officer. Nonetheless, the conduct surrounding the offense should certainly be considered as part of the overall background.

Thank you for your input. It was juvenile misconduct and processed through a juvenile court but I'm still unable to find any direct information regarding juvenile felonies. I've come along way since i was 15 and I plan on showing the department that when my oral boards come around. Regardless, I still did something stupid so if they deem that to be worthy of disqualification, then I'll have to accept that but I'm 100% willing to tell the complete truth about it.

Quick question (can be any department). If I put down that I got a juvenile felony on a pre-screen/initial application for employment, do they look at that right off the bat? I put it down on my pre-screen as well as a questionaire they provided at the written test and they haven't called. They keep sending me through the hiring process.

Sgt. Slaughter
10-21-10, 04:03 AM
What state was the crime committed in?

jsc
10-22-10, 10:14 PM
The crime was committed in Arizona.

Sgt. Slaughter
10-22-10, 10:18 PM
In Arizona, juveniles are not convicted of crimes - they're adjudicated delinquent. Ergo, the AZPOST requirement should be for anything you've done as an adult.

jsc
10-23-10, 02:51 AM
In Arizona, juveniles are not convicted of crimes - they're adjudicated delinquent. Ergo, the AZPOST requirement should be for anything you've done as an adult.

Thanks for shedding some light on that. That gives me a whole new perspective on the matter. Every department I have applied for still asks, "...even if committed as a juvenile," under the felony conviction question on the applications. I suppose I should still put it down for all law enforcement applications in Arizona (for background investigation and polygraph purposes), regardless of what you said, correct?

Cat_Doc
10-23-10, 02:54 AM
Thanks for shedding some light on that. That gives me a whole new perspective on the matter. Every department I have applied for still asks, "...even if committed as a juvenile," under the felony conviction question on the applications. I suppose I should still put it down for all law enforcement applications in Arizona (for background investigation and polygraph purposes), regardless of what you said, correct?
Yes. 'Tis better to tell them up front than to have them find it and ask you about it.

jsc
10-23-10, 08:11 PM
Once again, I appreciate the responses.

I just passed the physical with flying colors. Oral board is on Thursday.

Sgt. Slaughter
10-23-10, 08:23 PM
Go get 'em!!

jsc
10-30-10, 10:23 PM
For the sake of not starting a new thread...

I just completed my oral boards a few days ago. This has been my fourth oral board interview and the first time with this specific agency. It was obviously the best performance I've done but I still don't think it will cut it.

Performance wise, I may have passed, but not enough. I arrived 30 minutes before my scheduled time and signed in. I went in smiling and greeted the officers and waited until I was told to be seated. I gave eye contact to all three officers, sat up straight, and did not tap my feet or move in any kind of nervous way. I spoke at moderate volume, thinking for 5-10 seconds before giving my answer after each question was asked. They did not follow up on anything after I gave any of my answers. They just wrote and during some of my answers, it appeared that they didn't write anything at all, although that may not be the case. In questions regarding preparation, I made sure to detail them with everything I've done to prep for a career in LE and I stated how it will specifically help in this agency.

Now, that may seem pretty good but as far as my speech, although I didn't stutter, I was at a loss for words many times. There weren't any long pauses in my answers but my performance departed from my preparation. I went in to the boards knowing what to say but once I sat down, it's like someone ran a huge eraser on my brain. On some questions, I may have answered it but then repeated the answer AGAIN, just with different wording. On top of that, there were a few things in my prep that I know I left out because they didn't pop into my mind until after I left the room.

Without posting the questions and my exact responses, I can say that I at least answered the ethical questions with honesty, without feeding them any bull like, "I'd report so and so immediately," and if possible, gave them an example from my work history that the same question may apply to.

I gave a closing statement, thanking them for the opportunity to take part in the interview and the hiring process and stated why I chose their department and gave them an example of something specific I liked about the agency. During this time, one of the officers wrote something down which may or may not have been good.

Upon leaving, I shook each officer's hand and thanked them once again for letting me participate. I'm still waiting on the results and I may be jumping to conclusions. I've read some other posts about people feeling unsure of themselves after an oral and they passed and people who felt great and failed. I may be jumping to conclusions and might have done better than I thought. I'll have to wait and see. :yesnod: