Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

michaelsteven
09-08-10, 06:48 AM
When I was young there was a law about paying attention to your driving. If you were reading a Newspaper while you were driving, you got a ticket for, "Failure to pay full time and attention" to your driving.

I have talked to lots of folks who actually got tickets for this. (None of them were recent tickets.)

What ever happened to this charge? (Maybe the Courts said it was to vague?)

Even so, if a person is weaving in and out of his lane, (In Rush Hour.), can't they be given a ticket? If they are slowing down and then speeding up while no one is in front of them, can't they get a ticket?

The use of Cell Phones has made it really scary to drive. Can't something be done?

It just seems that the only tickets given out any more are either for "HOV Violations", or for speeding.

Speeding is most strictly enforced late at night when no one is on the road. (It is also mostly enforced by radar.) This really feels like a Tax.

What percentage of tickets are given for tailgating? Or constantly weaving into other peoples lanes?

Michael

PS-- I do think Drunk Driving has been curbed due to strict enforcement. My thanks to those who have made our streets safer to drive on.

Creeker
09-08-10, 07:07 AM
When I was young there was a law about paying attention to your driving. If you were reading a Newspaper while you were driving, you got a ticket for, "Failure to pay full time and attention" to your driving.

I have talked to lots of folks who actually got tickets for this. (None of them were recent tickets.)

What ever happened to this charge? (Maybe the Courts said it was to vague?)

Even so, if a person is weaving in and out of his lane, (In Rush Hour.), can't they be given a ticket? If they are slowing down and then speeding up while no one is in front of them, can't they get a ticket?

The use of Cell Phones has made it really scary to drive. Can't something be done?

It just seems that the only tickets given out any more are either for "HOV Violations", or for speeding.

Speeding is most strictly enforced late at night when no one is on the road. (It is also mostly enforced by radar.) This really feels like a Tax.
What percentage of tickets are given for tailgating? Or constantly weaving into other peoples lanes?

Michael

PS-- I do think Drunk Driving has been curbed due to strict enforcement. My thanks to those who have made our streets safer to drive on.

Once again, a poster asks a question that would be specific to an area, and leaves no clue where he is posting from.

I'll ignore most of your other generic meanderings and respond to the one pertaining to speeding.

A tax? Really? Are you old enough to realize the difference? I suppose a case could be made that it is a "sin" tax, but Google is your friend. Look at the definition of "fine" and then "tax". If you don't do it, you are not taxed.

Apparently you don't get out much earlier in the day, so maybe since it is easier to see LEO's making traffic stops during the late nights when there are fewer vehicles on the road, the case might also be made that there are more speeders late at night. Additionally, I'd be interested in how your Omniscience works that you know what every car was stopped for. Could you please explain that part to me?

tcop733
09-08-10, 07:19 AM
We have contributing factors for accident reports, one of them is Driver Inattention.
For many years I and my colleagues have wanted a charge of D W H U A, but as of yet the legislators have ignored our request.
We also have HOV lanes in the greater Houston metropolitan area, which are primarily patrolled by METRO police, who stop people for a number of reasons.
As for the other parts of your passage; perception isn't always fact.

michaelsteven
09-08-10, 10:47 AM
Once again, a poster asks a question that would be specific to an area, and leaves no clue where he is posting from.

I'll ignore most of your other generic meanderings and respond to the one pertaining to speeding.

A tax? Really? Are you old enough to realize the difference? I suppose a case could be made that it is a "sin" tax, but Google is your friend. Look at the definition of "fine" and then "tax". If you don't do it, you are not taxed.

Apparently you don't get out much earlier in the day, so maybe since it is easier to see LEO's making traffic stops during the late nights when there are fewer vehicles on the road, the case might also be made that there are more speeders late at night. Additionally, I'd be interested in how your Omniscience works that you know what every car was stopped for. Could you please explain that part to me?

Sorry if it sounded like a slap at policemen.

I did make an assumption that every part of the Country has the same problem as we do when it comes to Cell Phone use being a problem. The old time laws about "Full time and attention" seem to have been pretty much universal as well. (Although they seem to have vanished in the late Sixties.)

I can tell you that when Radar frist came out, it was only placed in locations where serious crashs had occured, or in areas like schools where they were likely to occur. The oldest Radar laws made it a point that if Radar was to be used, signs must be posted warning drivers that, "Speeding Laws enforced by Radar".

This was a great way to get drivers to slow down in dangerous spots along the road. When ever one saw a Radar warning, one knew that he was entering a more dangerous area to drive in.

As to Speeding tickets being a tax, I am sure that from your point of view it is not. However, if you read about how the Red Light Cameras were placed and then the Yellow cycle was shortened so as to get more money for the city in question, I think you can undestand how one might conclude that traffic fines might be a way for local governments to make a little easy money.

The government now encourages people to gamble. Why do you think that is? They set speed limits of 55 MPH on roads that were built for driving 70 or 80 miles per hour. (With 1950's cars that had very poor breaks, tires, and suspensions.)

Sorry if it upsets you. It upsets me too. I am sure that you guys don't like enforcing some of the laws you have to enforce. I am sure that you would rather give out ten tickets at a location where you had to scrape up Sadly, politics is a part of everything these days.

Michael

Safety Steve
09-08-10, 11:44 AM
Your a TROLL! Go away! Click:

Be Safe.

Creeker
09-09-10, 06:18 AM
Sorry if it sounded like a slap at policemen.

I did make an assumption that every part of the Country has the same problem as we do when it comes to Cell Phone use being a problem. The old time laws about "Full time and attention" seem to have been pretty much universal as well. (Although they seem to have vanished in the late Sixties.)

I can tell you that when Radar frist came out, it was only placed in locations where serious crashs had occured, or in areas like schools where they were likely to occur. The oldest Radar laws made it a point that if Radar was to be used, signs must be posted warning drivers that, "Speeding Laws enforced by Radar".

This was a great way to get drivers to slow down in dangerous spots along the road. When ever one saw a Radar warning, one knew that he was entering a more dangerous area to drive in.

As to Speeding tickets being a tax, I am sure that from your point of view it is not. However, if you read about how the Red Light Cameras were placed and then the Yellow cycle was shortened so as to get more money for the city in question, I think you can undestand how one might conclude that traffic fines might be a way for local governments to make a little easy money.

The government now encourages people to gamble. Why do you think that is? They set speed limits of 55 MPH on roads that were built for driving 70 or 80 miles per hour. (With 1950's cars that had very poor breaks, tires, and suspensions.)

Sorry if it upsets you. It upsets me too. I am sure that you guys don't like enforcing some of the laws you have to enforce. I am sure that you would rather give out ten tickets at a location where you had to scrape up Sadly, politics is a part of everything these days.

Michael

Once again, you post facts not in evidence.

In my state, the Legislature took specific steps to outlaw photo enforcement of any kind. In fact there is a small town near the Ga border on I-95 which is testimg that law, after they specifically annexed about 5 miles or so of the Interstate to set up an "analytical" photo enforcement camera in which an Officer compares a photograph of the driver of a violating vehicle with the registered owners photo on the site the radar is set up at. My state AG has declared it in violation of that law.

I'm not upset, I am responding in kind to a passive aggressive and more than a little ignorant position taken by a drive-by poster.

kels
09-09-10, 07:25 PM
now it is called driving with head up a$$ets.

If your driving isnt up to standard, a GOOD LEO can always find a ticket.

pac201
09-09-10, 10:39 PM
now it is called driving with head up a$$ets.

If your driving isnt up to standard, a GOOD LEO can always find a ticket.

:iagree: He said with a smile...:yesnod: