Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

DotsonUSMC
06-24-10, 10:02 AM
I've been in the Marine Corps for four years now, and I'd like to get out and move home to be a Sheriff's Deputy or work for the local PD but I'm worried about passing the pschological/mental requirements. I did a tour in Iraq and then one of my best friends died (not combat related) . Both of which which led up to mild PTSD, and I've also been diagnosed with depression. How will this affect my chances at getting on as a law enforcent officer, or even into the academy?

Citicop
06-24-10, 10:18 AM
Being in Law Enforcement can be psychologically taxing even for people who start out ahead of the game psychologically.

Starting with a deficit by having BOTH PTSD and Depression will mean your job is that much harder.

No one can really answer this except for the psychologist hired by the agency to assess you prior to employment, but you may find that you have a hard time getting hired.

-Citicop.

DotsonUSMC
06-24-10, 11:41 AM
None of it is documented in my medical record because I went outside of military healthcare for this reason. I just don't want to get out of the Marine Corps with high hopes of continuing service to my country in some way, just to be denied. What should I expect from a psych eval?

Citicop
06-24-10, 12:18 PM
None of it is documented in my medical record because I went outside of military healthcare for this reason. I just don't want to get out of the Marine Corps with high hopes of continuing service to my country in some way, just to be denied. What should I expect from a psych eval?

Every department is different.

The above reply sounds a lot like you intend to try to conceal your prior medical history during the application and hiring process. I can't state strongly enough what a poor idea that is, and if that's what you meant, then you aren't fit for Law Enforcement anyway.

-Citicop.

PapaBear
06-24-10, 02:36 PM
Not in CA.

retdetsgt
06-24-10, 02:50 PM
Do it the right way and get help from the Naval medical personnel and quit being sneaky about it. If you get hired by a LE agency, you're a disability/liability case waiting to happen. You can't fake it, trust me on that.

I have PTSD from both Vietnam and 28 years of police work, but the PTSD didn't show up until I nearly 50. If you have problems with it now, get the proper help now. I'm not kidding when I say if you get on a department with depression and PTSD, you're going to be a disaster to you and everyone else around you.

ChevySSP
06-24-10, 02:53 PM
OUt of curiosity RDS did you get any PTSD from your ex wives? Just a young'un asking...

Anywho, when I tested in addition to being screened by a department psychologist you are also polygraphed on whether or not you were completely truthful on everything up to that point. Failure to disclose=auto DQ

retdetsgt
06-24-10, 04:46 PM
OUt of curiosity RDS did you get any PTSD from your ex wives? Just a young'un asking...

No, I gave it to them....

Cat_Doc
06-24-10, 07:30 PM
I was told just a couple of days ago, by a department chaplain, that I suffer PTSD. How in the hell can he come to that conclusion only talking to me for a few minutes? :confused5:

I mean, I didnít choke him out, or kick a trash can across the room, or anything like that. Geez.

L-1
06-24-10, 08:28 PM
It will depend on how your PTSD affects you at the time you apply.

As part of the hiring process, police applicants are usually administered a psych exam. Its purpose is to determine whether you are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a peace officer and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position. If your PTSD causes you to fall outside of the acceptable range for satisfactory performance of the job duties, you will be disqualified. If it does not, you will go on to the next phase of the hiring process.

Generally, the exam assesses both abnormal behavior, normal behavior and then determines whether you possess the traits found here http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/psychological-traits.pdf FWIW, many people without PTSD fail the psych. Its more a matter of whether you fit a certain personality type.

DotsonUSMC
06-24-10, 11:35 PM
Thanks everyone. Citicop, I appreciate the concern. I am getting help from a civillian shrink, so I've got it covered. I'm just trying to keep the head shed from putting me in a different shop. I can perform all of my duties pertaining to my job without hesitation and I can do it the right way. I guess I am more worried about the depression aspect of it... I just feel a little week admitting that I'm a grown man with depression and with my aspirations to be a police officer, I am worried about being dq'd because of it.

ChevySSP
06-25-10, 12:53 AM
At my testing date they dropped quite a few prior military folks with depression.

Some of my academy mates had PTSD, but were not depressed. To me it implies that, at least with my dept., that PTSD is something that can be worked with, but depression is a no no.

Citicop
06-25-10, 10:23 AM
Thanks everyone. Citicop, I appreciate the concern. I am getting help from a civillian shrink, so I've got it covered. I'm just trying to keep the head shed from putting me in a different shop. I can perform all of my duties pertaining to my job without hesitation and I can do it the right way. I guess I am more worried about the depression aspect of it... I just feel a little week admitting that I'm a grown man with depression and with my aspirations to be a police officer, I am worried about being dq'd because of it.

That, in my opinion is a point of concern for society as a whole.

Clinical Depression is a disease. You should be no more ashamed of having it than you should be ashamed of getting the Flu. It's not your fault.

It might DQ you, sure. Just like if you had some kind of more physical disease (like a bone disorder) might DQ you. But that doesn't mean you're weak; it doesn't mean you're less of a man... it means that the docs at that department think you aren't MEDICALLY suited for the job.

Not everyone is cut out to be a cop. I've said this before and I'll say it again now:

Too many people come here and confuse their suitability with the carreer of Law Enforcement with their overall worth as a person. They are not related at all. My two best friends in the world are very successful at their jobs and I trust them without question, but if I showed up at work tomorrow and saw them in uniform we would have a serious problem. Neither of them could do this job; they just aren't suited for it.

Put your all into the process and see what happens. Be honest. If you get hired, great! If not, like I said before... there are plenty of other ways to contribute; you'll find one.

-Citicop.

Cat_Doc
06-25-10, 11:00 AM
That, in my opinion is a point of concern for society as a whole.

Clinical Depression is a disease. You should be no more ashamed of having it than you should be ashamed of getting the Flu. It's not your fault.

It might DQ you, sure. Just like if you had some kind of more physical disease (like a bone disorder) might DQ you. But that doesn't mean you're weak; it doesn't mean you're less of a man... it means that the docs at that department think you aren't MEDICALLY suited for the job.

Not everyone is cut out to be a cop. I've said this before and I'll say it again now:

Too many people come here and confuse their suitability with the carreer of Law Enforcement with their overall worth as a person. They are not related at all. My two best friends in the world are very successful at their jobs and I trust them without question, but if I showed up at work tomorrow and saw them in uniform we would have a serious problem. Neither of them could do this job; they just aren't suited for it.

Put your all into the process and see what happens. Be honest. If you get hired, great! If not, like I said before... there are plenty of other ways to contribute; you'll find one.

-Citicop.

Nicely done, Sir.