Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

MattP
06-23-10, 09:28 PM
I'm not talking about buying an old police car with a spotlight on it, I'm talking about buying a police spotlight and having it installed on a civilian car(specifically a toyota 4runner).And no I'm not trying to impersonate a police officer, or trying, nor do I want to try, to intimidate people. So, is having a working police spotlight installed on a civilian car in VA legal? Thanks in advance!

Citicop
06-23-10, 09:35 PM
I can't say specifically about VA, but it would be legal in MO provided you don't use it to blind other drivers on the road.

They aren't "police spotlights" here, they are just "spotlights. Plenty of cabs here have them, for example.

I'm sure someone with VA specific knowledge will be along soon...

-Citicop.

ChesCopPodz
06-24-10, 12:10 PM
Yes it's legal (va code 46.2-1019) however unless used by a food delivery vehicle (pizza boy, meals on wheels, etc) the light cannot project more than 100 feet to the front of the vehicle, nor can the light be projected onto the other side of the center divider line.

GoDirectly2Jail
06-24-10, 01:26 PM
May we ask why you would want one?

If it's for shooting deer, you should know that spotlighting is illegal.

MattP
06-25-10, 04:44 AM
May we ask why you would want one?

If it's for shooting deer, you should know that spotlighting is illegal.

Haha no it's not for hunting, I don't hunt. I just thought it'd be neat to have one.

basher52
06-25-10, 08:00 AM
I've had one installed on several of my trucks over the years. It's considered auxillary lighting in NY and other states. I use it off road, as long as you don't blind other drivers or use other than white bulbs you should be good to go.

Samuel
06-25-10, 03:08 PM
Why not get a cheaper handheld searchlight or a nice flashlight?

Blackgoat06
06-25-10, 03:12 PM
Haha no it's not for hunting, I don't hunt. I just thought it'd be neat to have one.

Yeah they're a blast. The bulbs burnout like every week then they seize up or the gears just get stripped out and they dont work at all...

Kimble
06-25-10, 04:04 PM
I just thought it'd be neat to have one.

So do all the thugs around here that have them already on the Crown Vics they buy at police auctions.

basher52
06-26-10, 09:49 AM
So do all the thugs around here that have them already on the Crown Vics they buy at police auctions.

No, they are usually left on the vehicles being auctioned. I've even seen auctioned cars with grille lights and siren speakers left in. Garage was too lazy to remove them, just cut the wires and removed the sirens and switches from the pass compaertment.

Kimble
06-26-10, 02:07 PM
No, they are usually left on the vehicles being auctioned.

I know, my post was a statement of my observations, not a question. :cheers:

MattP
06-29-10, 09:17 PM

Yeah, well I'm not trying to sound like a smartass but I'm not a thug and I'm not buying an old police car. I just want it for fun, I plan on going off roading a lot and some of my friends have a lot of off road trails on their properties.

Blackgoat06
06-29-10, 11:12 PM
oops n/m

Samuel
06-30-10, 12:14 AM
Haven't you heard Greg, all the Baja 500/1000 vehicles are now going with the pillar mounted spotlights instead of the typical off road/rally lights. It just makes So much more sense to compromise the structural integrity of your vehicle And require you to drive one handed while the other hand manipulates the spot light handle. Plus, KCs, Boschs, Hellas, Warns, PIAAs, etc are just so uncool and unhip...