Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

studentcj
04-04-10, 01:31 AM
Ok, if you had the choice and the opportunity to be a police officer or a military officer for the next 20 yrs which would you choose? Would you find more pride and pleasure working local or being a 00:31:13. And working your way up from a major or colonel in one of the branches of the military. Which would you find more difficult yet rewarding what would your family rather you do.

Rlong1985
04-04-10, 09:18 AM
The only similarity between the two organizations is the paramilitary like structure. I am going to assume you do not have experience working in ether field. Please be more specific if you are looking for advice regarding a personal situation.

Although I have decided to continue in my military career for the time being, my ultimate career goal is to become a Police Officer but after several deployments and training in my current field; it would be a clear cut career change if I decided to make the change. Law Enforcement is not for everyone and the same could be said for the military. A lot of time is spent away from home and are required to work long and sometimes difficult tasks with relatively small amounts of pay.

retdetsgt
04-04-10, 09:32 AM
I was an Army officer, a car salesman and then a cop. I saw more similarity between being a car salesman and a cop than being an Army officer and one.

As a military officer, you're commanding troops and making strategic decisions. That's your primary function. As a car salesman, you're trying to get someone to do something they're hesitant to do and attempting to make them think it's a good idea.

Which do you think a street cop does more of?

studentcj
04-04-10, 09:27 PM
guess i didnt make myself clear on my question i apologize

Switchback
04-04-10, 10:16 PM
guess i didnt make myself clear on my question i apologize

Ok... so clarify yourself.

CincyCop
04-04-10, 11:21 PM
...and making strategic decisions.

Military Officer A - "Hey, are you flying tomorrow?"

Military Officer B - "Nope."

Military Officer A - "Me either...it's nickel beer night at the O Club...let's hit it!"

Military Officer B - "Cool...I'm in! I'll tell Military Officer C to meet us there!"

:cheers:

Seriously, I believe the terms "police officer" and "military officer" as stated in the first post is too broad...there are so many different specialties in each that it would be hard to compare them based on those terms alone.

:smile5:

Collin (former Naval Officer and former Cincinnati Police Officer)

sgtbear111
04-05-10, 01:43 AM
Having served in LE and Navy, I agree there are few similarities. Occasionally there may be some overlap: such as response to emergencies - boredom punctuated by moments or terror. In those instances you revert to training, procedures, checklists, protect those under your command, and you carry out your orders and your mission. Only time I did both at once was military arrest of a deserter (a guy from my Division) who was gone over 3 months. He saw me, I saw him, he was too stoned to function, so I grabbed him and we waited for the Army MP to complete the matter.

One hazard facing the military officer is wearing your uniform hat into the O'club bar, off duty after work, on happy hour Friday. The bell rings, everyone cheers, and your paycheck is gone faster than your momentary fame.

Uniformed police officers entering a bar face silence, the scorn of bar patrons and staff, and perhaps someone pissed off by a recent arrest and now drunk enough (perhaps armed) to act upon it. Potential hazard, the unknown, is far far greater.

Cops never drink in uniform, because the unform is always ON DUTY. My dad was an airline pilot, he always changed after coming home from a trip, then he could relax, and have a cold brew. The unform and the responsibility it carried.......

Adrenolize
04-05-10, 11:04 AM
I was both an MP and civy police. Don't confuse the two as I did. I thought that working as an MP would be a good way to test law enforcement out. To a degree it was, but mostly they are apples and oranges.

Both are equally honorable, but totally different careers. I had more fun as a civy police officer as I could decide what I did and when with my off time. Also, get a lot more dirt bags on the outside (of the military). That said, I'm very happy I went to the military first then police. I wouldn't trade my time and experiences in the USMC for anything and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Let me know if you have any further questions and good luck with your decision!

CincyCop
04-05-10, 11:24 AM
One hazard facing the military officer is wearing your uniform hat into the O'club bar, off duty after work, on happy hour Friday. The bell rings, everyone cheers, and your paycheck is gone faster than your momentary fame.

Yes.

Also, don't touch any of the model aircraft that may be hanging from the ceiling and/or displayed anywhere in the bar. I didn't know it was a rule. I was 'tricked' by 8 USMC Harrier drivers to 'touch' the model aircraft (SH-60B Seahawk) that I flew in the fleet. I was out of cashola in a quick-like fashion. Marine aviators are mean.

:db:

studentcj
04-05-10, 11:56 AM
ok, it looks like i really messed up this thread. Im not asking for the similarities of the military and being a police officer. Im asking if you had to choose either being a military officer or a police officer for the next 20 years, which would you choose.

Citicop
04-05-10, 12:05 PM
ok, it looks like i really messed up this thread. Im not asking for the similarities of the military and being a police officer. Im asking if you had to choose either being a military officer or a police officer for the next 20 years, which would you choose.

This is a Law Enforcement board. All of our verified members DID choose to be cops out of all their other options. While some are vets, very few people here retired as military officers.

What that means is that everyone HERE is likely to choose Law Enforcement over the military in this survey because that's what they did in real life.

-Citicop.

retdetsgt
04-05-10, 12:11 PM
If I had the credentials to move up in rank, I'd have stayed an Army officer. At the time, I didn't even have a degree so that was out of the question. I enjoyed the responsibility I was given at a young age.

I'm glad I got out though and became a cop. In hindsight, I liked the stability of not having to move all around the world every few years. My brother was a career Army officer and I recall how he and his family were uprooted every so often. He wasn't able to buy a house until he retired.

But the Army got tired of me before I got tired of it. Things work out like they're supposed to, I guess. But I can't say I loved being a cop more than I liked being an Army officer. Each had it's advantages.

FedLeo
04-05-10, 01:22 PM
Can a local PO retire after 20 years with a 50% pension?

If you went active duty at 23 you could retire by 43 in the military.

If you have a successful Military career you'll most likely retire as an O-4/O-5. That's a big chunk of change.

retdetsgt
04-05-10, 01:38 PM
Can a local PO retire after 20 years with a 50% pension?

Where I worked, you could retire at 25 years with 70%. Thirty at 84%. That ain't bad either. You'll be older though.

Adrenolize
04-06-10, 01:43 PM
I'm planning for retirement, but would be especially grateful to just LIVE until I'm 50!

At the end of the day, both are very honorable jobs/ positions contributing to the American lifestyle.

It would really depend on what your job is in the military. They do have water purification officers and admin officers. :lol: It really does take a special type of person to do either though. I would just strive for what appeals to you most. I'm betting that you know what the answer is in your gut. You only live once, so go for it!