Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Police MUST Wear Hats

CityOfChicago
11-09-09, 08:19 AM
Samuel once again makes me laugh. So, I've dedicated myself to spreading the absolutely true knowledge that all police officers, deputy sheriffs, state troopers, etc., etc., ad nauseum, MUST ABSOLUTELY WEAR THEIR HATS at ALL times or any law enforcement actions they take ARE NOT VALID.

ATTENTION :ATTENTION :ATTENTION :ATTENTION :ATTENTION :ATTENTION

IF YOU RECEIVE ANY TICKETS OR ARE ARRESTED BY ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENT, AND THAT AGENT IS NOT WEARING HIS/HER APPROVED DEPARTMENT COVER, THAT TICKET OR ARREST IS RENDERED LEGALLY VOID.

IT IS 100% ACCEPTABLE AND APPROPRIATE TO APPEAR IN COURT AND USE THIS AS YOUR SOLE DEFENSE.

As you were.

If I post this in AAC or the completely worthwhile and necessary depot of knowledge AACJS, will I be in violation of the TOS I find myself restricted from accessing?

Safety Steve
11-09-09, 10:22 PM
I thought everyone already knew that. Try keeping a cowboy hat on when the wind is blowing 15 to 30 mph. I don't have a problem though. I use gorilla glue on the inside of the hat! :biggrin5:. Be safe.

Creeker
11-10-09, 01:51 AM
Thats why they put the straps on the "Smokey Bears" and the "Lawman" type hats, isn't it?

PapaBear
11-10-09, 07:37 AM
Well, CHP officers are exempt! A collective bargaining issue a few years ago mandates that CHP officers do not have to wear a hat unless performing traffic control, formal functions when the class a uniform is worn or when designated by the commander. Otherwise, it is sans hat.

The helmet for motorcycle personnel must be worn at anytime the motorcycle is in motion. Thanks to "CHiPs" all the youngsters like to take their helmets off when not in motion.

Samuel
11-10-09, 08:36 AM
Samuel once again makes me laugh.

Funny how? Like a clown? :nono:

o_ff46b58Hk

:lol:

Safety Steve
11-10-09, 08:42 AM
Lol. Could not rep you. Very good Samuel:lol:

retdetsgt
11-10-09, 12:47 PM
Well, CHP officers are exempt! A collective bargaining issue a few years ago mandates that CHP officers do not have to wear a hat unless performing traffic control, formal functions when the class a uniform is worn or when designated by the commander. Otherwise, it is sans hat.

The helmet for motorcycle personnel must be worn at anytime the motorcycle is in motion. Thanks to "CHiPs" all the youngsters like to take their helmets off when not in motion.

We were lucky, we got a chief in the 70's that made hats optional. Up until then, we had Sgts who's only function in life was to sneak around and try to catch some cop w/o his hat.....

My first letter of reprimand involved a hat. We had a Code 0 (our call for officer down) at a biker bar. When I got there, about 40 cops and even more bikers were still fighting (they were losing). I had one ******* in custody (we were both covered in blood) and was taking him to my car when the captain from another precinct walked up. His first question wasn't, is anyone hurt, or you okay, what started it? No, the asswipe asked me where my hat was. :rolleyes5:

Since the adrenaline was still pumping, three cops had just left by ambulance, my answer was less than professional.

The letter wasn't as bad as the fact I made an enemy of an office drone who had nothing to do but make my life miserable. He went on to be Asst. Chief (of course). After he retired, several people told me that he had commented that his goal in life was to get me fired. I did get the pleasure of telling me what an worthless piece of **** he was and he could kiss my *** when I ran into him at a police funeral a few years later. I loved the fact he had to stand there and take it 'cuz he was a nobody after retirement. (I mentioned that too!):biggrin5:

CityOfChicago
11-10-09, 12:55 PM
Just remember to wear your hat. And be sure everyone who comes to this forum and asks about getting out of tickets knows that, YES, no hat = no ticket. Tell them, them them all. Scream it from the mountain sides!

"Your Honor! :willy_nilly: I PROTEST! :willy_nilly: This ticket CANNOT be valid or legal! The officer failed to wear his HAT!" :willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Case dismissed.

WilliamTomFrank
11-17-09, 10:40 PM
Funny how? Like a clown?

Not funny Ha Ha. Funny queer.

:biggrin5::biggrin5:

CincyCop
11-18-09, 12:19 AM
Speaking of hats...I became a fan of the Cincinnati Police issued 'Elmer Fudd' hat. Initially, I was inclined to not use it...way too dorky looking...but after pulling a few 'cool' shifts during the winter months, I became a fan. 'Elmer Fudd' hat pictured below. It rocks. :thumbsup:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm280/Cochese_bucket/2192569_12_full.jpg

manahmanah
11-18-09, 02:36 AM
Speaking of hats...I became a fan of the Cincinnati Police issued 'Elmer Fudd' hat. Initially, I was inclined to not use it...way too dorky looking...but after pulling a few 'cool' shifts during the winter months, I became a fan. 'Elmer Fudd' hat pictured below. It rocks. :thumbsup:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm280/Cochese_bucket/2192569_12_full.jpg

Cincy, you're one goofy bastard, I bet you'd have been one hell of a skipper had you stayed in lol.

CincyCop
11-18-09, 09:41 AM
Cincy, you're one goofy bastard, I bet you'd have been one hell of a skipper had you stayed in lol.
:thumbsup:

The U.S. Navy saw to it that I didn't stay in [and goof off as a CO]. I was passed over twice for O-4 (Lieutenant Commander) while in the IRR and was subsequently honorably discharged at the 12 year point.

:cheers:

retdetsgt
11-18-09, 11:43 AM
:thumbsup:

The U.S. Navy saw to it that I didn't stay in [and goof off as a CO]. I was passed over twice for O-4 (Lieutenant Commander) while in the IRR and was subsequently honorably discharged at the 12 year point.

:cheers:

Yeah, you definitely have to "fit the mold" to rise in rank as a officer. I don't know what the Navy was like, but when I was in the Army, I had to buy a book called "Officer Etiquette" that spelled out what was acceptable behavior in about 50 different scenarios. Promotion was just based on your work performance, but you had to met certain standards in the mandatory social atmosphere.

One thing I remember was that when you arrived at a new command, you had to make an appointment to visit the post commanding general's home. It spelled out that you were to stay no longer than it took to smoke a cigarette!:nono:

BTW, here's my Elmer Fudd hat. They took away my Sgt's hat badge, but I still had my old uniform one. (Having badge #500 sucked, everybody remembered that friggin' number.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll268/jimbellah/phpQq2MzxAM.jpg

RockemSockem
11-19-09, 06:41 PM
True story: I knew a former police chief; I guess the guy had a pretty good run and was known for being a hard ***, but was well respected by the cops. By the time I knew him, he'd been out for 15 years. Anyway, I'm talking to him one time and he tells me about how he got pulled over for speeding in the town he now resides in. The cop walked up and informed him that he had clocked him at 15 over the speed limit. The former chief tells the cop that he used to be a chief and shows credentials. The officer is of course cordial, but advises him once more about the speed violation and tells him to slow down.

Well the old chief apparantly didn't take well to this. He recounted to me how he ripped into this guy, saying "Don't you have anything better to do down here?" and some other things that most civilians would say. Here's the kicker: He says to the guy "And where's your hat? You don't look professional at all. If you were in my dept. I'd write you up for not being in full uniform on a stop. You have no business approaching my car without your hat on."

The thing is, he didn't recount all this to me like he was bragging. He told me matter of factly, like his reaction was completely normal and understandable. I didn't know what to say.

retdetsgt
11-20-09, 10:40 AM
The thing is, he didn't recount all this to me like he was bragging. He told me matter of factly, like his reaction was completely normal and understandable. I didn't know what to say.

He's lucky he didn't get a ticket. I would have been sorely tempted to write him and let him know what was important.

People like that piss me off down to the bone. He's being given a break, but he gets huffy because he's being told to slow down. I despise that attitude of entitlement no matter who it's coming from.

Safety Steve
11-20-09, 10:55 AM
People like that piss me off down to the bone. He's being given a break, but he gets huffy because he's being told to slow down. I despise that attitude of entitlement no matter who it's coming from.[/QUOTE]

Yep I agree. We had a farm in Missouri that nobody lived on for about 5 years. When we moved to Missouri and lived on the farm, I was in a battle to keep all the trespassers of the place. It had really good hunting and two large stock tanks with large mouth bass. One day I caught a man with a stringer full of small fish at one of the stock tanks. I asked him who gave him permission to fish. He said nobody, that he was the ex-sheriff of Moniteau County. I told him to get the fish he had and to leave and never come back or the ex-sheriff was going to jail. He did not say another word as he followed instructions very well. The nerve of some people! Be Safe.

RockemSockem
11-20-09, 11:09 AM
He's lucky he didn't get a ticket. I would have been sorely tempted to write him and let him know what was important.

People like that piss me off down to the bone. He's being given a break, but he gets huffy because he's being told to slow down. I despise that attitude of entitlement no matter who it's coming from.

I'm sure the cop was tempted, but where I'm from, professional courtesy is taken pretty seriously, and if you're going to write another cop or a former chief especially, you yourself had better be a 25 year, well respected verteran who can pull almost anything and get away with it.

RockemSockem
11-20-09, 11:10 AM
I'm sure the cop was tempted, but where I'm from, professional courtesy is taken pretty seriously, and if you're going to write another cop or a former chief especially, you yourself had better be a 25 year, well respected verteran who can pull almost anything and get away with it.

Of course ... with that being said ... there was the guy from my dept. who wrote his own Lieutenant for expired plates.

Talk about fireworks ...

retdetsgt
11-20-09, 12:02 PM

I take it seriously too, but if I caught someone speeding or anything else, you better not get in my face. An off duty or retired cop can cause an accident by violating traffic laws just like anyone else (and I wasn't into writing tickets). It's professional COURTESY, not professional entitlement.

Many years ago, I stopped a young deputy from another county who thought he could get cute with me when I pulled him over for doing about 60 in a 35. I didn't write him, but I pulled his sorry *** out of his car and made him understand that his little piece of tin didn't mean **** if he was going to tell me what I could and couldn't do. I didn't write him, but I scared the **** out of his pompous little ***. I'm willing to be the next time he got pulled over he had a lot better manners.

When I get pulled over, I'm the most humble sum***** you're going to meet all day.

patchcop
11-20-09, 12:18 PM
When I get pulled over, I'm the most humble sum***** you're going to meet all day.

So you show the behavior and respect to the cop who stop you for any reason we expect from every cop we stop, didn't you?

retdetsgt
11-20-09, 12:42 PM
So you show the behavior and respect to the cop who stop you for any reason we expect from every cop we stop, didn't you?

Absolutely. If I catch someone violating a law, even a traffic one, I'm NOT going to be the one who catches a ration of ****. When I've stopped a cop, I'm polite, but I explain why I stopped them and usually asked them to cool it.

The exception was when I was new and stopped one of our deputy chiefs for an expired tag. I walked up the car, saw who it was, apologized and started back to my car. He called me back and asked why I stopped him. I told him and he apologized profusely and said he'd get it taken care of immediately. That man had my respect for the rest of his career.:thumbsup:

patchcop
11-20-09, 01:09 PM
Absolutely. If I catch someone violating a law, even a traffic one, I'm NOT going to be the one who catches a ration of ****. When I've stopped a cop, I'm polite, but I explain why I stopped them and usually asked them to cool it.

The exception was when I was new and stopped one of our deputy chiefs for an expired tag. I walked up the car, saw who it was, apologized and started back to my car. He called me back and asked why I stopped him. I told him and he apologized profusely and said he'd get it taken care of immediately. That man had my respect for the rest of his career.:thumbsup:

That was a behavior not seen very often from the higher brass.

retdetsgt
11-20-09, 01:41 PM
That was a behavior not seen very often from the higher brass.

I forgot to mention that he even thanked me for letting him know. That 15 to 20 seconds sure raised my opinion of him and I never forgot that.

Conversely, I stopped a drunk on his butt captain one night who came charging out of his car screaming at me. He had left the engine running so I took the keys from his city take home car and put them in my pocket.

As he continued to act like a three year old, I got my shift Lt. on the air and requested he come by. When he showed up, I tossed him the keys and told him to do with it what he will and got back in my car and drove off. The Lt. was too stunned to say anything until I got away.

I came by later and the car was still there. Apparently, the Lt. took the drunk home. Fortunately, he wasn't my captain. I wasn't too worried about repercussions, that captain had a reputation as a jerk and nobody really liked him. I also knew I was about to be promoted and out to there so I didn't care. I did expect to be called into the Lt's office at the end of shift, but that didn't happen either.

The fact I was never very good at suffering fools, whether I worked for them or not caused me a lot of grief from time to time, but it never left me with any regrets. People like that knew better than to make too big an issue of it because they also knew I had no qualms about facing them down when they were wrong and I was right.

Besides, I never had any desire for upward mobility anyway.....:nonod:

ChevySSP
11-21-09, 12:15 AM
I look funny in hats.

I do look good in Cowboy hats though.

retdetsgt
11-21-09, 12:28 AM
I look funny in hats.

So, you applied for Texas DPS for the hat?:biggrin5:

Cass
11-23-09, 01:58 PM
Thanks for that info, CoC. :wink:

Unfortunately, every time I get pulled over the cop's wearing his hat. :nono:

I look funny in hats.

You look funny regardless of whether you are wearing a hat or not. :smilielol5:

As for the cowboy hat making you look good, I want PROOF. :yesnod:

CityOfChicago
11-24-09, 08:05 AM
I look funny.

To the first part - we know.

To the second... That's gotta be some big hat. What, like a 14-gallon hat?

Creeker
11-24-09, 08:26 AM
To the first part - we know.

To the second... That's gotta be some big hat. What, like a 14-gallon hat?

What?!? You've never heard of "Hoss Cartright"? :skep:

CityOfChicago
11-24-09, 08:31 AM
The "Boss" is another fine example of a man witha bowling ball for a head. Thank you.