Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Silver Fox
05-17-09, 10:48 PM
Have you ever become so deep in thought when driving, that you completely forgot going through a familiar town or place?:confused: I have but not since I retired from LE when I was on the road 4-5 days a week driving from one end of the state to the other. It's a weird feeling and at the time wondered how I got through a town having several traffic lights and stop signs without getting T-boned or T-boning another vehicle.:eek:

retdetsgt
05-17-09, 10:50 PM
Not since I gave up booze!:eek:

CityOfChicago
05-17-09, 10:55 PM
Man, I've blocked out certain years.

Jynkxxie
05-17-09, 10:58 PM
Yes. Muscle memory at its best.

pafindr
05-17-09, 11:05 PM
In Michigan it always happens.
There are quite a few towns that only have one traffic signal and you wouldn't even known it's town if someone didn't tell you.

TXTing
05-17-09, 11:06 PM
Only once after REALLY good sxx.

Wait a minute, that was only a dream.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I do know the feeling. Only happens on routine trips, like on my way to school or back I sometimes get lost in thought. I know that obviously I must have went through certain towns, but I don't remember much of what was going on. Then I'd be like "What? I'm home already?"

IMHO, this kind of daydreaming is extremely dangerous and probably the cause of many car accidents. Your reaction time is slowed down when you're in a state like that. It's like a ZOMBIE DRIVER. :eek:

suzanne1020U.S.
05-17-09, 11:11 PM
I really think it's high time you had a little "action" because you seem to be posting nothing but sexual content in 99.9% of your posts, what is up with that? Just wondering.

....Still wondering????

TXTing
05-17-09, 11:19 PM
I really think it's high time you had a little "action" because you seem to be posting nothing but sexual content in 99.9% of your posts, what is up with that? Just wondering.

....Still wondering????

Hey, you only gave me like 5 seconds to come up with an answer. How am I supposed to get some action in five seconds?

Anyway, you're right. I think I'll put myself in time-out for a while. :cool:

EDIT:

Wait a minute, I gave a serious answer in this thread. Only a small fraction of this post was sexual in nature. But still...

suzanne1020U.S.
05-17-09, 11:29 PM
Hey, you only gave me like 5 seconds to come up with an answer. How am I supposed to get some action in five seconds?

Anyway, you're right. I think I'll put myself in time-out for a while. :cool:

EDIT:

Wait a minute, I gave a serious answer in this thread. Only a small fraction of this post was sexual in nature. But still...

Something tells me there is more to you than meets the eye, yet I don't know what it is.
I guess time will tell....take care.

TXTing
05-17-09, 11:32 PM
Something tells me there is more to you than meets the eye.

OMG. Did I have my webcam on the entire time? :eek: How embarrasing. :o

You take care, too.

CityOfChicago
05-17-09, 11:36 PM
Muscle memory.

I'm counting on it.

Jynkxxie
05-17-09, 11:37 PM
I'm counting on it.

Poor thing...:p

Cat_Doc
05-17-09, 11:39 PM
Yeah. I think it's called hypnotic driving.

I noticed it more when I was stationed at HQ and had to drive 35 miles each way. Mind starts wandering on a case, or what I am planning on doing when I get home, and before you know it, I am pulling in the driveway not consciously remembering the drive home.

canuckofapeach
05-17-09, 11:40 PM
I must admit that some of your posts, TXTING, are becoming overtly flirtatious and sexual. Please be advised that this site is not for flirting or overt sexual conversation.

Thank you for your cooperation.

ChevySSP
05-17-09, 11:40 PM
It may be his only salvation....:D

There are several towns around my hometown that if you don't pay attention you can simply bypass. Heck there are times that I've been singing to the radio and I'l sing one verse of a song and bypass straight through the town without noticing.

Its how I roll

Cat_Doc
05-17-09, 11:41 PM
Heck there are times that I've been singing to the radio and I'l sing one verse of a song and bypass straight through the town without noticing.

Its how I roll

Do the dogs howling ever bring you back to reality?

ChevySSP
05-17-09, 11:50 PM
Do the dogs howling ever bring you back to reality?

No normally the police pull me over because my singing is a crime :(

TXTing
05-17-09, 11:57 PM
I must admit that some of your posts, TXTING, are becoming overtly flirtatious and sexual. Please be advised that this site is not for flirting or overt sexual conversation.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Yes, Ma'am.

Jynkxxie has also addressed the issue in another thread.

I'll tone it down.

Sorry.

CityOfChicago
05-17-09, 11:57 PM
Yeah. I think it's called hypnotic driving.

I noticed it more when I was stationed at HQ and had to drive 35 miles each way. Mind starts wandering on a case, or what I am planning on doing when I get home, and before you know it, I am pulling in the driveway not consciously remembering the drive home.

Holy monkey I know that feeling. After changing Districts, my ride to the old apartment was triple the distance. After getting off of work at 0800, on the weekends, and having to drive home through AM traffic, there were many mornings all I remember is getting in the car, then parking in my alley. Seriously - NO recollection of the drive.

ngcsubutterbar
05-18-09, 01:33 AM
They say in truck driving school; that if you can't remember what a sign said you 'just passed', Don't know within 10-15 range of what mile marker you're at, or for example can't remember the last two minutes of driving then you're driving while fatigued.

CityOfChicago
05-18-09, 01:44 AM
No, man. I was driving while asleep.

BP348
05-18-09, 03:48 AM
No, man. I was driving while asleep.

I call that auto pilot ;)

I think anyone who's worked a loooong mid shift and then had to drive home has experienced it.

BP348
05-18-09, 03:49 AM
There are several towns around my hometown that if you don't pay attention you can simply bypass.

Which towns are we talking about? I've probably rolled thru them and don't remember myself.

ChevySSP
05-18-09, 12:49 PM
Which towns are we talking about? I've probably rolled thru them and don't remember myself.

Well Petronila, Annaville, heck K'ville if your not paying attention, Driscoll, and if you don't know any better you'd run through Flour bluff without knowing its not part of the city.

Of course there is a bit more but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

Silver Fox
05-18-09, 12:59 PM
They say in truck driving school; that if you can't remember what a sign said you 'just passed', Don't know within 10-15 range of what mile marker you're at, or for example can't remember the last two minutes of driving then you're driving while fatigued.

What would not recalling what city you just passed through and not remembering the last four hours of driving indicate, insanity or alzheimers?:confused:

CityOfChicago
05-18-09, 01:13 PM
Drunkeness?

BP348
05-18-09, 11:45 PM
Well Petronila, Annaville, heck K'ville if your not paying attention, Driscoll, and if you don't know any better you'd run through Flour bluff without knowing its not part of the city.

Of course there is a bit more but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

Heck Annaville & the Bluff are part of Corpus. I agree about Driscoll, if it wasn't for the fact that it's one big speed trap & that one light theres nothing there. I used to work out of the K'ville office so I would drive 77 every day.

Norm357
05-18-09, 11:49 PM
Not since I gave up booze!:eek:

You gave up booze! :eek:

kels
05-19-09, 12:21 AM
after reading the title, I figured this was a western Kansas joke.

Creeker
05-19-09, 01:27 AM
When I took my "all side roads" trip to Denver alone a few years ago, I went thru towns in Texas that I didn't even remember buildings being there.

Towns like "Bang", "Crocketville" and "Canadian" I'd never have remembered if I hadn't gotten drowsy and looked for a local Patrol car to post pictures of on here. ;)

But seriously, yes, I've been told that episodes like this are called hypnotic driving.

We also do things around the house like putting on deodorant and not remembering that we did it already... all on autopilot.

Some prescribed drugs can also have an affect. I know that hydrocodone can affect your memory.

mcsap
05-19-09, 01:51 AM
I have driven or been in a car through 48 states and all of the Canadian Provinces....I am sure there were a few that were less than memorable.

ChevySSP
05-19-09, 01:57 AM
Heck Annaville & the Bluff are part of Corpus. I agree about Driscoll, if it wasn't for the fact that it's one big speed trap & that one light theres nothing there. I used to work out of the K'ville office so I would drive 77 every day.

Odem is kinda the same way but they are starting to grow out there.

Mathis too. You can bypass it easily heading towards San An.

Darin
05-19-09, 02:00 AM
You gave up booze! :eek:

I thought he said boobs!!!! :eek:

ChevySSP
05-19-09, 02:03 AM
I thought he said boobs!!!! :eek:

C'mon now use some common sense. Why would any guy give up boobs?

Its just un-American to do something like that...

BP348
05-19-09, 02:17 AM
Some prescribed drugs can also have an affect. I know that hydrocodone can affect your memory.

Did I post in this thread already????

:D:D:D

BJJVad
05-19-09, 03:35 PM
Have you ever become so deep in thought when driving, that you completely forgot going through a familiar town or place?:confused: I have but not since I retired from LE when I was on the road 4-5 days a week driving from one end of the state to the other. It's a weird feeling and at the time wondered how I got through a town having several traffic lights and stop signs without getting T-boned or T-boning another vehicle.:eek:

50+ miles of my 74 mile drive home I didn't remember. Worked 15.5 and 16 hour shifts for 12 days straight. Driving with the window open and DD coffee still went into some type of coma. Snapped out of it about 2 miles before my exit.

CACBAND
05-20-09, 12:57 AM
Not with a whole town, though that would not be hard with some of the ones around here.

There is however a slight "S" type turn on the state highway I drive to work. There's a dirt road off to one side were the farmers (and who knows who else) go flying up and down. I've driven that "S" turn then got to work and I think to myself "did I even look down the dirt road (let alone make those turns)":(

There were times driving home from Florence were I was taking classes at night, its its 10 miles to Coolidge (on the way home), they had just installed a stop light and lowered the speed just before it. More than once for the first month I'd miss the new speed limit sign because I'd drive that road for years and was used to the old speed, I'd see the light and brake because I knew I didn't slow down (not because it was red). To this day I'm thankful the one cop I passed didn't stop me for it. It was a bad intersection, and Id have stopped me for speeding.:o